Webb to return punts?

Vikings trying to see if Joe Webb can return punts

Vikings trying to see if Joe Webb can return punts | ProFootballTalk

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Webb to return punts?

Sure.

Hope this doesn't mean there is a lack of confidence in Pattersons return ability...

I know it's still VERY early though.

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahovikefan7 View Post
    Hope this doesn't mean there is a lack of confidence in Pattersons return ability...

I know it's still VERY early though.
    It doesn't. They have said before they didn't want him returning punts, only kickoffs. Probably to keep him ready for offense so he isn't too winded.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Jesus View Post
    It doesn't. They have said before they didn't want him returning punts, only kickoffs. Probably to keep him ready for offense so he isn't too winded.
    Depends on the circumstances, but I think he'd be more winded after returning a kick out of the endzone than fielding a punt. I realize there are touchbacks, but there are also fair catches.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Coaches keep players from returning kicks to mostly avoid injuries, not from getting winded. The job of the returning is the most dangerous job in the NFL. Percy Harvin is arguably the best kick returner in the league, but he's also a very good receiver and running back. That's why he was limited in the return game. Personally, I would still have used Harvin more. You play to win, not to avoid injury. I especially would have done different than what Chicago has done with Devin Hester. Sure, Hester is an decent receiver, but I'd rather have the best returner of all-time than a decent receiver, Boy, that's a waste of talent.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Coaches keep players from returning kicks to mostly avoid injuries, not from getting winded. The job of the returning is the most dangerous job in the NFL. Percy Harvin is arguably the best kick returner in the league, but he's also a very good receiver and running back. That's why he was limited in the return game. Personally, I would still have used Harvin more. You play to win, not to avoid injury. I especially would have done different than what Chicago has done with Devin Hester. Sure, Hester is an decent receiver, but I'd rather have the best returner of all-time than a decent receiver, Boy, that's a waste of talent.
    Not to mention he bolted town anyway so we should have just used him up and got everything we could have out of him while he was here. If he got hurt then let the Seahawks worry about what was left in the tank.

With the abuse they take it certainly doesn't hurt to have more than one guy getting reps anyway in case your primary guy gets hurt like we saw a few years back when a guys leg gets mutilated.