Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Are we trying to be the Bears ?

I think we should try and be ourselves, multiple personalities suck.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

The Bears were just copying Tampa Bay, who won a superbowl, so what's your point?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

DID is suffered by many fans and players alike; especiallyallof us here on PPO LOL

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

First off, I do think Tarvaris is mediocre until proven otherwise. As one "source" indicates, the shocking thing about T-Jax is that his college completion percentage was relatively low, and that at a 1-AA school. If you can't get the "pill" into the "window" at Bama State, I doubt you will be able to in the NFL. Those "windows" are smaller and close faster in the NFL. I might be wrong, we'll see, but I do think T-Jax will be in trouble if he tries to air it out much.

Re not taking risks: I don't think all teams try to minimize risks. Some teams (2000 Rams, modern Colts, etc.) air it out and take risks. I mean, look at Oakland. I don't consider the following teams to be "minimize the risks" teams: Oakland, San Diego, Arizona, Seattle, Dallas, New Orleans, New England, Colts, Cincy, Ravens, Atlanta, Green Bay.

Heck, Green Bay with Favre is a classic example of NOT minimizing risks. Look at the way Favre rolls out and then just lets it rip downfield, even in situations in which he should minimize the risks (!). I don't think Carson Palmer is the "minmize the risks" kind of QB either.

To me, the classic "we don't care about risks" team would be the Rams team that won the Show with Warner. They were a "throw everything at them and see if they can hang with us" type offense that didn't really put risk minimization as a high priority.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    First off, I do think Tarvaris is mediocre until proven otherwise. As one "source" indicates, the shocking thing about T-Jax is that his college completion percentage was relatively low, and that at a 1-AA school. If you can't get the "pill" into the "window" at Bama State, I doubt you will be able to in the NFL. Those "windows" are smaller and close faster in the NFL. I might be wrong, we'll see, but I do think T-Jax will be in trouble if he tries to air it out much.

Re not taking risks: I don't think all teams try to minimize risks. Some teams (2000 Rams, modern Colts, etc.) air it out and take risks. I mean, look at Oakland. I don't consider the following teams to be "minimize the risks" teams: Oakland, San Diego, Arizona, Seattle, Dallas, New Orleans, New England, Colts, Cincy, Ravens, Atlanta, Green Bay.

Heck, Green Bay with Favre is a classic example of NOT minimizing risks. Look at the way Favre rolls out and then just lets it rip downfield, even in situations in which he should minimize the risks (!). I don't think Carson Palmer is the "minmize the risks" kind of QB either.

To me, the classic "we don't care about risks" team would be the Rams team that won the Show with Warner. They were a "throw everything at them and see if they can hang with us" type offense that didn't really put risk minimization as a high priority.
    Wow.

You just convinced me that the Vikings are trying to be the Bears.
    Good supporting information for your theory.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Wow.

You just convinced me that the Vikings are trying to be the Bears.
    Good supporting information for your theory.
    Actually, the support he put in for the "minimizing the risks" statement was surprising good.
    The Rams were a good example, so I can concede that this is not standard football practice.

However, the argument against TJ is lost on me.
    I don't know how you can consider anyone who is unproven to be anything other than, well, unproven.
    Labeling them mediocre is mislabeling them, because if they have a great year it implies massive improvement and if they have a bad year it implies setback.
    That is like assuming that everybody who enters college is a C student before seeing any of their work.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Ok, I am not going to beat you up on this one.
    I just fail to see see how you can come up with this.

Cover 2, a lot of teams run the Cover 2.
    It is not Cover 2 100% of the time either.

Tandem runners?
    The Bears have who?
    A lot of teams are going to this and have been for a few years now.
    Some teams have 2 very good RB's (Saints) and it is a good system because one guy does not get the shit kicked out of him all year long and it gives the defense something else to try and stop.
    Deuce would smash them, Bush would evade them.

T-Jack is not mediocre!
    He is unproven!
    Read it again folks, 'tis the truth.

An emphasis on ball control and reducing risks:
    Good deal.
    Ball contril wins games.
    Every team wants an emphasis on this.
    You control the ball you control the game.
    The Steelers have always used this approach very nicely.
    You have to take calculated risks sometimes to keep the Defense honest.

Letting the defense and special teams win it.
    I do not know how you get this with our team.
    Especially our ST's which have been a joke for years.

Player's coach?
    This is the one thing that I think you are way off on.
    Mike Tice was a players coach.
    Ditka and Del Rio are players coaches.
    Brad is far from being a players coach.

Continuity...I sure the hell hope so.
    Name 1 Super Bowl team that did not have continuity?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Ok, I am not going to beat you up on this one.
    I just fail to see see how you can come up with this.

Cover 2, a lot of teams run the Cover 2.
    It is not Cover 2 100% of the time either.

Tandem runners?
    The Bears have who?
    A lot of teams are going to this and have been for a few years now.
    Some teams have 2 very good RB's (Saints) and it is a good system because one guy does not get the shit kicked out of him all year long and it gives the defense something else to try and stop.
    Deuce would smash them, Bush would evade them.

T-Jack is not mediocre!
    He is unproven!
    Read it again folks, 'tis the truth.

An emphasis on ball control and reducing risks:
    Good deal.
    Ball contril wins games.
    Every team wants an emphasis on this.
    You control the ball you control the game.
    The Steelers have always used this approach very nicely.
    You have to take calculated risks sometimes to keep the Defense honest.

Letting the defense and special teams win it.
    I do not know how you get this with our team.
    Especially our ST's which have been a joke for years.

Player's coach?
    This is the one thing that I think you are way off on.
    Mike Tice was a players coach.
    Ditka and Del Rio are players coaches.
    Brad is far from being a players coach.

Continuity...I sure the hell hope so.
    Name 1 Super Bowl team that did not have continuity?

According to accounts from camp today he is playing down right awful. I would be happy with mediocre out of him this year. Next year I will expect more though.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

My prediction is that T-Jax won't cut it in the NFL. Call it a hunch, backed up with some experience, things I have seen, and things I have read. The entire picture is not good. Of course, I concede that to judge a QB on 2 games is unfair. But on the other hand, when did I agree to be fair ?
    : This forum is about throwing out ideas, right ? It is not like we took an oath to be fair and non-judgemental. From everything is see, T-Jax has "backup" written all over him.

Of course, the Bears made the Show last year with a QB who had a below-30 QB rating in four games !
    :P

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    My prediction is that T-Jax won't cut it in the NFL. Call it a hunch, backed up with some experience, things I have seen, and things I have read. The entire picture is not good. Of course, I concede that to judge a QB on 2 games is unfair. But on the other hand, when did I agree to be fair ?
    : This forum is about throwing out ideas, right ? It is not like we took an oath to be fair and non-judgemental. From everything is see, T-Jax has "backup" written all over him.

Of course, the Bears made the Show last year with a QB who had a below-30 QB rating in four games !
    :P
    Well, so far you have a friend that thinks Jake Plummer is cool and you relayed information that Jake gives big tips.
    You also threw in a tidbit about some other crazy speculation supported by the infamous fantasy football guru that you call a friend.
    At this point it would be tough to not treat everything you say as gospel.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast