Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Are we trying to be the Bears ?

This thought occurred to me today: we are trying to be like the Bears. I mean, think about it:

- Cover 2 defense
    - Tandem runners
    - A mediocre QB who is not expected to do anything more than "manage" drives
    - An emphasis on ball control and reducing risks
    - Letting the defense and special teams win it
    - A coach who is not flamboyant or a drill sargent, but a "player's coach"
    - Continuity.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. It just is. Of course, many teams will try to emulate the teams that got to the Show, and everyone knows both the Colts and Bears run a Cover 2. No one can emulate Peyton Manning, really, but teams can try to be the Bears.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Are we trying to be the Bears ?

i dont think its trying to be like the bears. We are doing what it takes to win, which is a strong defense and a consistent offense that doesn't make mistakes

Thanks josdin00

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

The NFL is a copy-cat league. We are just trying to win some games. So if we need to build up the 'D' so be it. I don't care if we looked like a team that went to the Super Bowl. I just want to get to the dance and win.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This thought occurred to me today: we are trying to be like the Bears. I mean, think about it:
    - Cover 2 defense
    - Tandem runners
    - Continuity.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. It just is. Of course, many teams will try to emulate the teams that got to the Show, and everyone knows both the Colts and Bears run a Cover 2. No one can emulate Peyton Manning, really, but teams can try to be the Bears.
    -The Bears aren't the only team with a Cover 2 defense or Tandem Runners, those two things are extremely popular in the NFL.

-No one tries to have a "mediocre qb to manage drives", and Childress doesn't believe we have one, and neither do I.

-Childress! A player's coach?!! I think not! "Coach Dad", 11 PM curfew, suspends players when the league takes no action. Childress is as far from a player's coach as you can possibly get.

-Who doesn't want continuity?

We're not trying to be the Bears, we're implementing a successful defense and use two running backs on offense. And we're trying to do something the Bears could not, win a super bowl.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't think we are trying to be anybody except the Vikings.
    The fact that over the past two offseasons we have been putting into place the tools and schemes that have proven to be effective on other teams just shows that our HC is serious about winning.

Plus some of the points that you highlight aren't accurate for either the Bears or us.

- Cover 2 defense - Yes, the Bears, and many other successful team run this defense.
    This is a gross over generalization though, as the Cover 2 run by the Bears and the Cover 2 run by the Colts were different.

- Tandem runners - We are doing this, but are the Bears still?
    I think the past couple of years has shown how successful this can be.

- A mediocre QB who is not expected to do anything more than "manage" drives - This barely deserves a comment.
    First, I don't consider TJ mediocre.
    I do consider him raw. There is a hell of a lot of difference, especially in the fact that inexperience goes away.
    Plus, no team goes into the season with a QB who they just expect to "manage" drives.
    The expectation is that TJack will learn and evolve as a QB, and hopefully live up to the potential his raw talent gives him.

- An emphasis on ball control and reducing risks - This is the emphasis on every football team.

- Letting the defense and special teams win it - The defense and special teams don't win games.
    Neither does the offense.
    The entire team wins and loses.
    We used to have the best offense in the NFL, but it didn't get us anywhere.
    Now we have a great defense, and we are working to bring our offense up to that level too.
    Our young WRs, especially Allison, are looking great in camp.
    Our running back duo is easily one of the bests.
    There have been reports about Shank having very soft hands for a TE in camp too.
    I don't think for a second that we are "letting" any particular part of the team win it.

- A coach who is not flamboyant or a drill sargent, but a "player's coach" - no, that was Tice.

- Continuity. - This is really the only part that I see where we have an intended similarity with the Bears.
    And again, I think it is just good football to do both.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    - Tandem runners - We are doing this, but are the Bears still?
    I think the past couple of years has shown how successful this can be.
    I have no clue who the Bears are putting in tandem with Cedric Benson, since they let Thomas Jones leave.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

scumpuke is offline Rookie

"Mr" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    - Cover 2 defense
    - Tandem runners
    - Continuity.

-The Bears aren't the only team with a Cover 2 defense or Tandem Runners, those two things are extremely popular in the NFL.

-No one tries to have a "mediocre qb to manage drives", and Childress doesn't believe we have one, and neither do I.

-Childress! A player's coach?!! I think not! "Coach Dad", 11 PM curfew, suspends players when the league takes no action. Childress is as far from a player's coach as you can possibly get.

-Who doesn't want continuity?

We're not trying to be the Bears, we're implementing a successful defense and use two running backs on offense. And we're trying to do something the Bears could not, win a super bowl.

i think if you're asking that question you really have to ask first who the bears are trying to be like, then you have your answer: every team is using the best tools and knowledge that they can to do the same thing, win games. everyone here already answered you and everyone's answer speaks to that end.
    Partyin' Purple Style!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I must be a masochist, otherwise I wouldn't even open up threads like this.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Damn Z beat me to it.

We are gonna have to get rid of one of our tandem now that Jones was dealt. Y'know now that I think about it the Bears have a RB named Adrian Peterson.
    We probably only drafted ours just to be like them.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    I must be a masochist, otherwise I wouldn't even open up threads like this.
    After viewing the beauty which is your progeny, your eyes need to be punished to even things out in the world.
    And thus, God gave the world idiotic threads, the visual equivalent of a kick in the nutsack.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast