Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMems View Post
    I meant to say that was the Vikings last pass of that game. An INT. Sorry to have offened.
    You didn't offend at all. Yes that was Favre's last pass in that game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Because of Ponder, the lack of a MLB, and some questionable coaching, I am not pumped about the Vikings.

I was not pumped about the Twins, Wild, or Timberwolves either. The Twins and Wild overpaid to bring in or keep a few good players, but coaching and the depth of support players are suspect. The Timberwolves have good, but not great, players that want to be paid like great players.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    You didn't offend at all. Yes that was Favre's last pass in that game.
    If the Vikings players and coaches did not understand that the 12th man meant the crowd instead of another player in the huddle, the pass would not have had to be tried. If the refs had called the upper/lower hit that nearly broke Favre's ankle, that play, which was a Favre pick, would have been nullified. If the Saints were called for roughing on numerous late hits, the Vikings would have had more points. If the Vikings could have just protected the ball or taken a basic handoff without fumbling, the score would likely have been much in favor of the Vikings. It is difficult to Blame Favre alone for that loss. But yes, it was a poor toss.

MossMems is offline Rookie
    Yes it was a poor pass, from a highly paid vet, we brought in for just that type of game. I put a lot of the blame on that pass personally. A lot of the other mistakes weren't made by vets that had been in that situation before.

But then, if the ST and D didn't fall apart in OT, we wouldn't be talking about all those mistakes.

[QUOTE=singersp;1141796]
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMems View Post
    If we had a decent QB, I would say yes. But we rarely have a decent QB. At least as long as I have been watching. I don't really count Favre. He showed his true colors with that great int in the Saints playoff game. That was his last pass as a Viking right?
    If Chilly would not have had 12 men on the field , Vikes kick a FG
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Lippythelion69 View Post
    If Chilly would not have had 12 men on the field , Vikes kick a FG
    Childress loved Naufahu Tahi for some unknown reason.

Tahi could not block, could not run, and could not count to eleven.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Like Andersons miss in '98, Favres INT in '09 was not the reason why we lost. Sure if neither had happened, we more than likely have 2 more super bowl losses on our resume, but despite the failure of those particular plays we still had chances to win those games. We had plenty of chances to put both games out of reach sooner, but even after the plays of blame, we still had chances to win. In '98 after the miss, the defense proceeded to let Chris Chandler look like Joe Montana and allowed him to tie the game. Griffith dropped 2 INT's on that drive but somehow avoided becoming a scapegoat. In '09 the refs helped the Saints win by allowing 3 questionable calls in OT to go their way.

But yes, I think many are way too pumped up about the 2013 Vikings. We have a tougher schedule, still a huge question mark at QB, and we can't just assume AD is going to rush for 2100 yards again. Heck even if Ponder improves slightly, if AD doesn't have another 2k yard season we'll struggle to reach 8-8.

The Lions went from 10-6 in 2011 to 4-12 last season with the same roster and coaching staff. Stafford threw for roughly 5000 yards in both seasons, but for some reason 21 fewer TD's in 2012. And going from a +11 takeaway advantage to a -16 didn't help either.

I just hope 2013 doesn't end up being the kind of disappointment we ended up with in 2010. We had high expectations because of '09, but wow that ended up being one of the most miserably disappointing seasons I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Like Andersons miss in '98, Favres INT in '09 was not the reason why we lost.
    Not the reason, but certainly a reason in each game respectively. The irony is that both coaches played for the field goal to put the game away, and both coaches lost. Sometimes a little Patton or Guderian is needed to retain the offensive initiative.

Sure if neither had happened, we more than likely have 2 more super bowl losses on our resume, but despite the failure of those particular plays we still had chances to win those games. We had plenty of chances to put both games out of reach sooner, but even after the plays of blame, we still had chances to win.
    I agree.

In '98 after the miss, the defense proceeded to let Chris Chandler look like Joe Montana and allowed him to tie the game. Griffith dropped 2 INT's on that drive but somehow avoided becoming a scapegoat.
    I remember well. A chance to seal the deal. Doink!

In '09 the refs helped the Saints win by allowing 3 questionable calls in OT to go their way.
    The refs also missed many roughing calls that even the casual observer could see.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Are we too pumped up about the Vikings?

Lots of ifs, no trophies.

That is pretty much the team story, identity and legacy.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Lots of ifs, no trophies.

That is pretty much the team story, identity and legacy.
    We have 1 NFL title to our credit. In 1969 before the merger. Back then the NFL and AFL champions met in this annual thing called the super bowl, so our NFL title gets forgotten.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast