Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

We should focus on the safety position first in 2005

There wasn't enough competition for the free safety position which was basically given to Russell, except for Willy Offord who has no business starting in the NFL. Strong safety really has no competition either although Chavous is a smart player and I love his study of this game the truth is, a player who has to earn his spot through hard work and has the continued fear of losing it throughout the season will play much harder. Has either Russell or Chavous really had the fear of losing their starting job all season? No they have not.

Tice and Cottrell planned the safety position poorly this year by having almost nobody else behind Chavous and Russell, I realize roster space is limited but that is ridiculous.

I have read some people on this board saying we should focus on picking up a really solid LB and I do agree with that but for crying out loud we have got to get some more and better safeties on this roster. It will improve the play of Chavous and probably Russell too although I am really not a fan of this guy and I'd like to see someone else back there.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I like Chavous and I also like Russell (although he needs to work on his angles that he takes). I love how hard Russell hits and I love the fact that Chavous is a student of the game! I think our linbacking unit is lacking, but they are young and after this years experience and an offseason (hopefully that doesn't come for a while) they will be better. We just need to put it all together to get the d playing well! All I know is we have a monster on the d line! KDUB!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

First off, Russell CAN'T tackle. Everyone says Chavous is such a student of the game and I believe it, but it has not transferred into anything on the field. Players like Ray Lewis or Ed Reed are "students" as well, but they actually make plays. If Chavous is so knowledgeable he should always be in good position and more than anything help the other players with their assignments. It hasn't really transferred.

Neither has made plays this year or helpped our sorry Pass defense stop anything.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

majorvikesfan is offline Waterboy

Howdy Vikes Fans. I am new first time. I agree that we should look at competition in the safety position; however, priority should be given to a good shut down corner to compliment Winfield. Just my opinion.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Welcome aboard majorvikesfan! I personally think that Brian Williams does a good job on the other corner!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

B Will's the man!

KENNY MIXON, does he still play for use? Folks it all starts up front with the d line. Johnstone is getting no younger and we will miss him come the day he turns into biekert. I think we should draft another DT or DE. I have been thinking and decided it may not be a good idea to put a rookie in the secondary or get another rookie LB. I think DE or DT is what i would aim for right now. I personally really like Darian Scott the guys shags blocks. I think spencer is doin a good job in the middle but we need one more premeir pass rusher. I dont know much about DE's that will be coming out or how good the class is.

Either way we should draft defense first round, take the aproach of "draft the best palyer available". Be LB, DL, or DB just draft the best player available.

If a stud WR was available i would snatch him in a second. Burly's the man, Moss is Moss, but we need someone to replace MROB. I cant stand to see him on the field one more time (watch he goes out and gets 2 TD's next week).

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

one sentence to solve 40% of our problems on our defense.

The Minnesota Vikings have successfully moved up 17 spots in the draft and have selected Antrel Rolle cornerback Miami.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"majorvikesfan" wrote:
    Howdy Vikes Fans. I am new first time. I agree that we should look at competition in the safety position; however, priority should be given to a good shut down corner to compliment Winfield. Just my opinion.
    I think that having one shutdown corner is ok. With a great safety there, he will be able to help pick-up receivers better. We need a physical safety that can read an offense well.

Chavous is a student of the game and is only out of position to cover for all the other crappy DB's we have trying to make plays. J/K

But yes, we really should concentrate on DB's in the draft and free agency this coming year. It's our most glaring problem on the team IMO.

Question: Why so many INT's last year and so little this year? Russell looked great last season. What? New defensive scheme? If so, hopefully next year we see big improvement.
    Even babies know the difference.

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

The safties who are gonna be free agents this year arent worth anything and arent very good. So we need to draft some.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast