Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    sabatajh is offline Rookie

Are we really building championship team?

I know I'm probably going to get blasted for this. But i'm not sold on the whole "win at any cost mentality that wilf claim's he has. I just feel like we haven't really signed any one who is considered a upgrade with the exception of Hutchinson. I think Chester has a legitimate shot at being sucessful, but to have 31 million in cap space and let key FA sign with other teams is insane. Why are we satisfied with Ben Leber when there were three pro bowl linbackers available, same thing with Chester Taylor, I just feel like there was better players available and we didn't even make a run at them. why aren't we in the mix for Brees? Am I the only one who thinks handing over the franchise to a 37 year old quarter back is insane?

Whew I fell better know :cussing:

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

Re: Are we really building championship team?

I personally feel that throwing money to them, is not the answer. You have to find people with not huge egos, that will play like a team, and fit in the type of offense or defense that you are going to run, plus, it helps us when signing rookies, and not being in cap space trouble next year, plus we had to have the money for hutch

Thanks PurpleMafia

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

I understand where you are comming from. Yet I have faith that they are picking the right payers for the new system. Throwing big names in the mix does not mean championship. I'll agree that I would rather have had James than taylor, but with hutch in there my fat butt could probally pick up a few first downs. Having said that I have my concerns as well. I am looking forward to the season though!!!
    I BLEED PURPLE!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Give the Viking organization some time to build...Rome (or any Super Bowl championship team) wasn't built in a day.

If you think that having a 37-year old QB is stupid, talk to Joe Gibbs (who is already in the HOF) about his use of Mark Brunell next season...the Skins are putting ALL the pieces together on offense (to go along with their STUD defense from last season)...I highly doubt that Gibbs would be entrusting Brunell with that calibre of a team if he was concerned at all about the age of his QB. BJ will do just fine for now...we can always find another QB next season.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Jviking" wrote:
    I understand where you are comming from. Yet I have faith that they are picking the right payers for the new system. Throwing big names in the mix does not mean championship. I'll agree that I would rather have had James than taylor, but with hutch in there my fat butt could probally pick up a few first downs. Having said that I have my concerns as well. I am looking forward to the season though!!!
    I do still think that James was the answer...but time will tell...and I hope for once that I am wrong! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

Ask this question during the season.

The coach has a plan, he has a system, he has a vision. Every coach does.

You can absolutely win with hard working talented players. You don't need the big names, the big gripes, the big money, and the big headaches.

If CHildress see's a LB who can cover really really well, but lacks the ability to lay a huge hit then that player may very well be the best man for the job.

You can't fully judge the pieces of the puzzle until you see the product on the field and find out how well they fit.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

I like things so far. The proof will be next season though.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Prophet Guest

The three Cs (Character, Chemistry, & Coaching) are the direction the Vikings are heading in. Of course the coaching staff is thinking about what they are going to do in the QB slot, along with all the other questionable spots on the team, that goes without saying. Panicking 72+ hours into FA is ludicrous.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I just feel like there was better players available and we didn't even make a run at them. why aren't we in the mix for Brees? Am I the only one who thinks handing over the franchise to a 37 year old quarter back is insane?

I can understand your frustration, especially with all the talk about we should be getting Edge and Brees and Hutch and everybody else that is #1 in their position in FA.

However, when I sit back and look at who we got and what kind of money we got them for, I am pretty impressed. Obviously the Hutch offer sheet was a HUGE coup, and a lot of our efforts in FA went to ensuring we could do that. Edge would have been nice, but I think we can get more bang ofr our buck with Taylor. I know little about Leber, so I can't comment on him. As far as Brees, I was really interested in him until I heard that he may command a $10 mil per year contract.

I aalso really don't think we are handing the franchise over to BJ. He is the starter this year. Not for ever. And let's not forget that he DOES have a SB ring (and a semi-recent one at that).

All in all I am pretty happy with FA so far.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Having big name players at every position is not always the answer.. I have seen many of players cash in on their big payday, and then never play up to their potential again. Ben Leber is a young, hard hitting, and very good coverage type of LB. He will fit in very nicely with the cover 2.

Ryan Longwell is in the top 3 in fg% right with Mike Vanderjagt, and Adam Vinateri. He is a huge upgrade over Paul Edinger. IMO

Chester Taylor has alot of the same traits as Brian Westbrook.. I think that is why Childress is so high on this guy. The fact that we got him rather cheap is a huge plus. He doesn't have alot of wear and tear on his body like a Edgerrin James, so if this line gets juiced up like it is looking, then there is no reason why Taylor can't be a star rb.. Trust me, I thought the same thing when they first signed him. After reading on him, you might change your view slightly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast