Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    I have no problem going after Smith, I just dont think the front office has any desire to go after any qb in FA.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    I have no problem going after Smith, I just dont think the front office has any desire to go after any qb in FA.
    They will have to bring in someone, if for nothing else than as a backup. But yeah, I don't think they will be going after anyone like Smith.

The FO has more faith in Ponder than I do. I hope they are right and I am wrong.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    They will have to bring in someone, if for nothing else than as a backup. But yeah, I don't think they will be going after anyone like Smith.

The FO has more faith in Ponder than I do. I hope they are right and I am wrong.
    Yeah i agree. They'll bring in someone a little more viable but it probably won't be Smith.

Yeah the FO has more faith than us and hopefully Ponder makes us eat crow someday.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Smith lost the starting job because he got injured. He was 18/19 for 232 yards and 3 TD's in his final full game, and then in the next game when he got knocked out with a concussion he was 7/8 for 72 yards and a TD. The 49ers were 6-2-1 when he got benched, and Kaepernick went 5-2. Smith finished the season 26/28 for 310 yards, 4 TD's and 0 INT. Kaepernick is just a multi talent freak that defenses haven't solved yet.

The Smith game that stands out most to me was the Saints playoff game last year. Smith won a shootout vs Brees. Would Smith be my first choice? Heck no, but at best we're a wildcard team with Ponder and only if AD challenges the rushing record. Smith was a muffed punt away from taking his team to a super bowl.

I'm so tired of sub mediocre QB play in Minnesota. Like Kev said, the bar seems so low in Minnesota. Some actually believe Ponder played well in the final 4 games, mainly because we won. In those 4 games he had 91, 131, 174, and 234 yards. The bar can't get much lower.

Yeah the passing yards in those games are pretty abysmal. I'll take the 234 against the cheesedicks considering AD had 199 and we won, but typically we'll need more than that out of our QBs. Also he didn't turn the ball over too much those last four games which is very key.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Does Matt Flynn interest anyone?
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tad7 View Post
    Does Matt Flynn interest anyone?
    No really he does have some arm strength issues one of the reason Russell Wilson won the job was Ryan suffered an injury to his throwing arm.

So now the questions are when exactly did Flynn get hurt to such a degree, and whether Carroll chose Wilson outright for the starting job in the preseason without factoring in injury.
    This is from a report early October when Wilson had some struggles and Seahawk fans wanted to see Flynn

The problem, according to Carroll, is an elbow injury which affects Flynn's ability to throw the ball. So at the moment, Flynn, signed away from Green Bay in the offseason, isn't an option to create a quarter-pole quarterback controversy.
    "He throws 15 throws a day, a couple days a week, so that's not really enough to get him ready in a game plan," Carroll told ESPN Seattle. "He has to throw 50 balls a day to get ready, so that's not even an issue for us yet to have a chance to put him in."
    Link

So Flynn got hurt in training camp competing for the job which concerns me that he might have burnt out trying to keep pace with Wilson and if thats the case is he really much of an upgrade over Ponder and Matts contract is 5 1/2 times larger.

Also

"I'd be lying to you if I told you that we wouldn't be listening to people," Schneider told KIRO-AM on Wednesday. "I think we all believe he's a starter in this league, but we structure ourselves in a salary-cap manner where we're in a very good position with him. Having two quarterbacks like that is pretty special. We're going to do what's best for the organization -- period.
    Link

Would rather see the team spend the cap space elsewhere and not get tied up looking to trade for Flynn especially if the Cards or another team start driving up the trade value for him cause it doesn't look like the hawks are just going to release him.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    First of all, that was a good post.

No, I'm not really interested either. He's too much of a question mark and I'm not really interested in bringing in more question marks since we already have a big one in Ponder. I probably would rather have Alex Smith than Flynn because at least we'd know what we're getting, even if it's not great.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

I would rather just keep Ponder over Flynn. If we are going to sign a QB in the offseason to compete for the starting spot I would like to see Alex Smith. I do think Smith would be just a slight upgrade from Ponder, but it would be an upgrade nonetheless. If we don't go after a QB in the offseason to compete with Ponder (really compete if you know what I mean) I'm giving Ponder one more year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Yeah i agree. They'll bring in someone a little more viable but it probably won't be Smith.

Yeah the FO has more faith than us and hopefully Ponder makes us eat crow someday.
    By someday, I hope you mean 2013 & not 2016.

My guess also is if they bring in a FA QB at all to replace Webb, it'll be someone in the middle to bottom half of the FA pool that can be signed on the cheap & doesn't pose a threat to outplaying Ponder. Here's the FA list.

Derek Anderson
    Charlie Batch
    Jason Campbell
    David Carr
    Kellen Clemens
    Chase Daniel
    Joe Flacco
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Rex Grossman
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Byron Leftwich
    Matt Leinart