Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Does anybody really think the front office is even considering going after a QB in FA? I think Ponder is their guy for at least another year and going after Smith or any other FA QB isn't really on their mind (at least to use as a starter).

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

James Victoria is offline Waterboy
    I am a niners fan- just happened upon this thread. I have watched every game Alex Smith has played and there is no doubt- the guy is a top 10 QB who is hitting his prime.

I understand that there are people here thinking that he cant be that good if he is benched- but the rest of the nation doesn't understand how good Kaepernick is yet. I think Kaep has the potential to win multiple MVP's. Kid was throwing over 90 mph in high school baseball. He has an absolute cannon for an arm, accurate, and can run better than mike vick. Alex Smith isn't as good as Kaep- but he is better than the majority of NFL starting QB's.

I really think if minnesota had Smith- you guys would be immediate contenders. You have a better running game than the niners and the defense could improve with a good draft. I think Smith is very comparable right now to Drew Brees in his last year with San Diego- the stats arent far off. Like someone said previously- he is just getting into his prime and he has a great mind for the game. Smith is a leader and underrated due to the mess the niners were.

I am interested to see where Smith ends up- i think KC, Arizona, and maybe jacksonville will all make a run for him. But he would do best with the vikings.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Does anybody really think the front office is even considering going after a QB in FA? I think Ponder is their guy for at least another year and going after Smith or any other FA QB isn't really on their mind (at least to use as a starter).
    This would be the perfect time to open up a QB competition.

Just kidding but on a serious note, Ponder is not being challenged. He has nobody waiting in the wings to take his job and that is not pushing him to be the best.

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

We need Alex Smith

Two quick points:
    1. Ponder can't hit anything farther than 10 yards down field.
    2. We don't have the right receiver mix for anybody to succeed in this offense. There is Percy, and then...
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    So if the people that don't want Smith believe that he wouldn't be a winner for us & he'd be only a marginal upgrade over Ponder, Tell me why you'd want to still keep Ponder if he is worse?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Ponder is not being challenged. He has nobody waiting in the wings to take his job and that is not pushing him to be the best.
    That seems to be a common thread amongst several here.

Funny thing though, during the 2012 offseason when it was announced very early that Ponder would start & there would be no competition for the starting job and no one to push him, the majority of the fans embraced that decision because he didn't have to look over his shoulder at anyone waiting in the wings to take his job or push him so he could just focus on being QB.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

We need Alex Smith

We need WR's and an upgrade at QB, whether it is to push CP or replace him.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So if the people that don't want Smith believe that he wouldn't be a winner for us & he'd be only a marginal upgrade over Ponder, Tell me why you'd want to still keep Ponder if he is worse?

My point is I would rather put my efforts into findi g a game changer than a game manager and that is what I consider both of those guys to be. So short answer is not wanting o e is not an endorsement of the other in any way shape or form. But bringing in Smith is going to cost cap money and it is going to mean we are not trying to bring in someone who would be a contender. One look at that playoffs and really the season makes it very clear that in order to contend every year you need to have a premier QB. Neither of them give us a guy who can give us the performance that can get us to the playoffs on a yearly basis even when the talent around them changes. Yes. Those guys are hard to find and that is why some teams win on a regular basis and why some make an occasional run every decade or so.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I grow tired of arguing... it's the problem with the purple shades...even when you player is dead last in the league and the truth is staring you in the face, you can depend on the Vikings hopeful to say,
    " this guy compares to this guy". He doesn't! Ponder is a bum just like TJ was a bum. Just like Webb is a bum. I have been advocating for a new QB because we have possible the 2nd worst QB situation in football. Atleast Jacksonville and the Jest(Jets) are about to be sorted out. We will continue with this crap of 8 games of terrible QB play followed by 1 good game and all will be forgotten. It's the same shit we had with TJ and people sat there and proclaimed him a "good QB"
    Aren't you tired of hanging you hat on a guy that you have to hope turns out ok? To stand and say that Alex Smith and Ponder is on the same level is idotic. Also, Smith didn't just get his guys to the playoffs, he got them to the NFC championship and lost in OT. I gues the #FACTS are hard to keep track of when you are just making things up as you go. Fact smith didn't cost his teams games... #Fact, I can point out 4 games we lost because of Ponder. Why am I arguing this when I can just get the film of Ponder hitting a Defender in the back with an attempted pass. He is terrible!
    Why are you using hash tags? #silly

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The team wants to keep Ponder because he is still very young, and they're not sure what he will be. Obviously, they feel there is potential in him becoming a franchise quarterback, and they are willing to put up with the growing pains in order to find out if he's the answer.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast