Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He didn't have Manningham or Moss when he threw for 17 and 5 last season. So if you think Ginn and Crabtree are better than Harvin and Simpson I would have to say its a push. You can then add Gore and Davis and I would take Peterson and Dolph. The true seperation is their OLine and their 3 first rounders. I would say our Oline is steps behind but is getting better.

Smith can hit a down field WR with regularity. He is what we hope Ponder turns into.
    We are still talking about 17 TD's and 18 for a career high so far. Ponder threw for 18 this season so I am having a hard time getting misty thinking of handing the future over to him.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

We need Alex Smith

How about changing the thread title to: Christian Ponder needs competition for starting role on 2013?

In that context, I would think Alex Smith makes great sense.....worked for the Seabags this year.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    How about changing the thread title to: Christian Ponder needs competition for starting role on 2013?

In that context, I would think Alex Smith makes great sense.....worked for the Seabags this year.
    That is a far more sensible approach....bring in Smith and tell him to EARN the job. That pushes both Smith and Ponder.

Trouble is, as mentioned previously, our receiver corps is a bit on the .....errrrrr...shitty side. We still need a serious upgrade there, regardless of who the QB is.

Caine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    That is a far more sensible approach....bring in Smith and tell him to EARN the job. That pushes both Smith and Ponder.

Trouble is, as mentioned previously, our receiver corps is a bit on the .....errrrrr...shitty side. We still need a serious upgrade there, regardless of who the QB is.

Caine
    The down side to that is even if he does come in and win the starting job we are still stuck with a QB that has a limited ability and more than likely the same ceiling as ponder does, but is older and more expensive.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    We are still talking about 17 TD's and 18 for a career high so far. Ponder threw for 18 this season so I am having a hard time getting misty thinking of handing the future over to him.
    Its not just about TDs... Its also about command of a huddle. Completion % and the ability to throw a deep ball. PONDER ALSO PLAYED WITH AP.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I think we needed Kaepernick instead of Ponder. Smith gets us only marginally better if at all.
    I wish we had taken Kaepernick in the draft. I wanted him over Ponder. Don't think Smith would help us that much. I do think we need to bring someone in to push Ponder and get some receivers that can get open more often.

Blog Entries
    Its not just about TDs... Its also about command of a huddle. Completion % and the ability to throw a deep ball. PONDER ALSO PLAYED WITH AP.
    And apparently the niners were so impressed with his ability to do just that, that they benched him for a guy that had pretty much zero NFL experience. Seriously, Ponder had a higher completion percentage than Smith earlier in the year and it isn't like Smith has that great of an arm.

I heard much the same thing about McChunky and how his arm and experience as well as his leadership would be a great thing to have and we all know how that worked out. Not that he would be the next McChunky but he isn't a big enough jump in top end from what we have in Ponder already.
    Last edited by Purple Floyd; 01-13-2013 at 09:47 PM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    And apparently the niners were so impressed with his ability to do just that, that they benched him for a guy that had pretty much zero NFL experience. Seriously, Ponder had a higher completion percentage than Smith earlier in the year and it isn't like Smith has that great of an arm.

I heard much the same thing about McChunky and how his arm and experience as well as his leadership would be a great thing to have and we all know how that worked out. Not that he would be the next McChunky but he isn't a big enough jump in top end from what we have in Ponder already.
    This post is so filled with errors and unrelated topics... I don't know where to begin but lets try.
    1)Mcnabb was never known to be accurate.
    2) Mcnabb was over the Hill. Smith is in his prime.
    3) I believe that he is a big leap over a QB that failed to break 100 yards in almost half of his games.
    4) That same QB blew everyone socks off because he completed 1 pass for 63 yards. That's how low the bar is for him. 1 Pass. Yet, here we are off season where every Viking player is great.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Seriously, Ponder had a higher completion percentage than Smith earlier in the year and it isn't like Smith has that great of an arm.
    That probably has something to do with the fact that 26% of Ponder's passes were thrown behind the LOS. His average pass at that time thru the air was 5 yards.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

This post is so filled with errors and unrelated topics... I don't know where to begin but lets try.
    1)Mcnabb was never known to be accurate.
    2) Mcnabb was over the Hill. Smith is in his prime.
    3) I believe that he is a big leap over a QB that failed to break 100 yards in almost half of his games.
    4) That same QB blew everyone socks off because he completed 1 pass for 63 yards. That's how low the bar is for him. 1 Pass. Yet, here we are off season where every Viking player is great.
    McNabb may have been everything you say but that didn't stop the knob slob bing on here by Vikings fans eager to sign him and that is my point. He was not really an upgrade and the same can be said for Smith. Go back to posts and articles on him from his first few years and tell me where he was any better than ponder. Why would we want to bring in another QB who gives us no real step up in potential. Yes, he is in his prime and he got benched for a second year player who had no performance record and the team is now much better than it was under smith. B he is not that good.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast