Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: we got him

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Ya it sucks we don't have a 2nd or 3rd but we have a ton of picks yet. 3rd through 7th are a crap shoot anyway. We got three players that were all first round talent. Patterson was going to go off the board before we got a chance to pick again. Heck someone might have even taken him in the first round.

Would you rather take a chance of getting a started with the 2nd and 3rd round picks or move up and get a the guy you want that is a first rounder and will start. I would take a sure thing over a lottery ticket any day.
    Patterson may not even be the best receiver from Tennessee. Hunter is taller, has better vertical, and is the same speed. The Vikings could have moved up in round 2 for a lot less cost. Patterson is a good pick up, but he was a player the Vikings paid a lot to move up to pick when he could have dropped to the mid second round. It was not a good value trade for the Vikings, and it was exactly what I stated prior to the draft the Vikings could end up doing.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts:

I would basicly have done different things in all 3 spots.

DT Sharrif Floyd, i don't know why he was ever in talk of being a top 5 pick, he basicly gives you nothing as a pass-rusher, he can penetrate on some run plays but often gets trapped, i worry about him in the NFL vs stronger and better linemen. Does not create anything when double teamed.. Basicly need to dominate more. I had him ranked as a 1st round/2nd round tweener.

CB Xavier Rhodes, pretty good cornerback, but does everything Chris Cook does, he might have better ball skills and can make QBs pay for bad throws, Chris Cook has 0 career INTs, but we still did not indifity the need at slot-cornerback, which was a big area of concern for me coming in to this draft. Josh Robinson didnt get any reps in the slot last year and is pretty much and outside guy only.. Sherels is horrible at playing defense.. Rhodes has no experience in the slot either and his best skills comes in press-man on the outside. I would have picked CB Jamar Taylor from Boise State instead.

Finally Cordarelle Patterson, he is basicly a 6'2 Percy Harvin type player and i have seen no evidence that that works in the NFL. Struggles with route-running, maturity and is basicly a very raw prospect, i didnt feel we needed another slot-wr with Jarius Wright finishing the year very strong for us but i hope that he can evovle from the slot position to a downfield reciever, but he is very raw right now. In this spot i would have stayed in the 2nd round, but if i had to pick a WR here, it would be his teammate Justin Hunter, no doubt. I see him as a much bigger need and a better fit for our offense.

Also very concerned that we didnt adress our MLB need, next time we pick is in the 4th.. We might pick up a veteran(Urlacher or someone else), but the talent level at ILB this year is very good, but they might all be gone when we pick in the 4th.

Ogletree was a very good fit for our defense with him being a former safety, he has unique coverage skills, Kevin Minter and Arthur Brown as well, i would have been ok with Teo as well, i feel its very harsh that he didnt get picked in the first round.

Basicly i am disappointed that we after a 10 win season still are in complete rebuild mode instead of trying to plug in the holes that we need to go further.
    Last edited by skum; 04-26-2013 at 02:54 AM.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    I stopped reading when you called Sharrif Floyd a 2nd round tweener lol. Dude will be an All-Pro. And your sig still says we should start Tarvaris Jackson...

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Ya it sucks we don't have a 2nd or 3rd but we have a ton of picks yet. 3rd through 7th are a crap shoot anyway. We got three players that were all first round talent. Patterson was going to go off the board before we got a chance to pick again. Heck someone might have even taken him in the first round.

Would you rather take a chance of getting a started with the 2nd and 3rd round picks or move up and get a the guy you want that is a first rounder and will start. I would take a sure thing over a lottery ticket any day.
    Blimey what a night that was ! No way could we pass on Floyd though I'd love to know why he dropped so much. Having said that the quick interview he did with Sanders was good and he will be playing with a chip on his shoulder this year, so some OLs are going to be having a bad day at the office. I was then sweating as to whether we would draft Te'o but am happy with Rhodes especially having lost Winfield.
    As for Patterson, well the potential is there and if he reaches or exceeds it then the price we paid in picks will be worth it. However would agree with snowinapril that he has a way better chance to perform from day one and be of value to the team. So on that basis I'll give Spielman credit for the trade up and being aggressive.

Hopefully the praise that the Vikes are getting for their moves won't go to people's head in the War Room and that they close out the rest of the draft in a good fashion.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    I stopped reading when you called Sharrif Floyd a 2nd round tweener lol. Dude will be an All-Pro. And your sig still says we should start Tarvaris Jackson...
    If he was a sure lock to be an all-pro i guess he would have gone higher than 23 and it wasnt because people was standing in line to trade up for him.

From everything ive watched on him, he hasnt showed me much.. Games against good SEC teams like Tennessee, Georgia and Texas AM he pretty much disappears, sometimes he pops up with a TFL against a running back, but he is just as easy caught in a trap and suddenly turned away from the play.

Needs to be more constitant and needs to develop a passrushing move, he is young and he can do that thing, if he already had those traits, he would have been a top 5 pick as many projected, but he didnt, that was why he fell. I hope he does well for us, but everyone is acting like this is the draftpick of the century and im just saying calm down.

Pre draft the Steelers, Bengals, Colts and Rams scouted him heavily and they all passed.

I would not have adressed DT in the first round and if so, i think Sylvester Williams is a better player, but we will see in a few years.

As for my sig goes, its funny that you care.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    i stayed up all nite to start watching the #1 pick @ 3 am for me. dad and i have been compiling lists of who we thought were best talent, (via nfl, espn, and other sources) for the positions MLB, DT, WR, CB, OG, S really didn't look into other positions as we mainly had starters plugged allready.

after pick # 7 dad mentioned Sharif still on the board.. and I asked him.. right so he'll be gone soon, but what happens if we have. Teo, Patterson, Rhodes available @ 23.. dad laughed and said.. none will be there of those 3.. after the bears fail.. dad said... Floyd is till there.. omg floyd is still there.. then the falcons traded up.. and dad started swearing.. they'r gonna take floyd!! when they didn't, and the vikings spent 10 whole seconds to put in their pic.. Dad was smiling big!

every scouting report, every detail i've read about Floyd has him as a higher rated telent then 95% of the previous 22 picks.. how he fell? who knows.. but who cares!! he's a viking..

Colts went their way.. and dad and I are saying.. ok.. so Teo or Patterson... i heard Rhodes and thought.. holy #!$%!@ that's right he's still there!! so we cheer a bit. like the idea of setting up for the 2nd round maybe moving up to get 2 picks in the 2nd to get MLB and WR and i went to bed 6:15 am..

woke up this morning to see 14 messages.. Patterson!! it cost a lot.. but what would we do with 9 picks? we don't even have roster space, nor practice squad space for that many. it's a risk. but i like the risk!! huge upside.. very low downside. can he start day 1? maybe.. can he start this season.. i bet he does!

man o man.. solid draft in my book, lets keep it up and get some filler and future starters!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

To All You Who Think We Gave Up Too Much For Patterson

The Vikings received arguably the number one ranked receiver with crazy potential. I've never seen a man his size run the way he does. We now have our "Peterson" of receivers. For this, the Vikings gave up a late second rounder, a late third, and an early fourth. (oh yeah... and a seventh, but who really gives a hoot for a seventh round pick?)

Looking at the point value chart, the #29 pick is worth 640 points, and the Vikings gave up picks that combined are valued at about 600.

Furthermore, the Vikings got someone who was projected as a top 20 pick by many experts, and a top 10 talent. Most people though Patterson would never slip further than to the Rams at #19. That pick is 875 point on the value chart. Essentially, the Vikings got a value of at least 275 points MORE than what the Vikings gave up.

People says the Patriots were smart, but lets see who they draft with the picks they received from the Vikings... If we didn't trade up and stayed in the second round we would only be able to draft a tier 2 or 3 receiver. Patterson, Tavon Austin, and DeAndre Hopkins were the only three receivers that intrigued me enough to have them ranked as the tier 1 receivers in this draft. Austin and Hopkins were already gone and that left Vikings with the receiver with the most upside than any of them.

All-in-all, the Vikings received a first round pick where they were able to draft a player who is considered a top 10 talent and fills a big need for our team. For this, the Vikings lost essentially three mid-round picks.

Here's someone from the Daily Norseman who already shares my view: The Vikings had a wild and wonderful first round, taking three players and making one blockbuster trade.

This is our draft picks as of now:

1st rnd. DT Sharrif Floyd
    1st rnd. CB Xavier Rhodes
    1st rnd. WR Cordarrelle Patterson
    4th rnd. Pick No. 23 (No. 120 overall)
    5th rnd. Pick No. 22 (No. 155 overall)
    6th rnd. Pick No. 21 (No. 189 overall)
    7th rnd. Pick No. 7 (No. 213 overall, from ARZ)
    7th rnd. Pick No. 8 (No. 214 overall, from BUF via SEA)

Looks pretty awesome in my opinion. Three starters right there and we still have over twice as many picks left.

I'm okay with this trade. Let the haters eat the crow when Patterson tears up the league and wins Rookie of the Year.
    Last edited by HEY; 04-26-2013 at 06:01 AM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Looking at the point value chart, the #29 pick is worth 640 points, and the Vikings gave up picks that combined are valued at about 600.
    Not sure what draft chart you're looking at but it was more than 600.

I come up with 648.2

2013 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    honestly the more I read about the trade the more I'm liking it.

nfl.com
    The Patriots entered this draft with only five picks. Now they have two picks in the second round, two picks in the third round, a fourth-rounder and three seventh-rounders. In a deep draft, this approach makes a ton of sense. Now the Patriots just have to make the picks count.
    we had 11 picks coming into the day. 2 1st already chosen with the team having 5 of the 6 guys they probably wanted on the board. we had a multitude of pics and in a draft where value is said to be in the early mid rounds it was looking ok. Sure there is a long list of great players taken in the early/mid rounds, gems in the late rounds and players you develop. we don't have time to develop 11 guys.

NE came into the draft thirsty for pics. they have a program that continues to build and develop the players they want, and plug in FA's that help bolster a stud roster. they are contenders, they have a foundation.

packaging up our early mid rounds and grabbing a needed WR that CAN play this year is a smart move in my book. we still have 5 pics, and if needed we can delve into next years draft. This is where our scout team can say.. next year we see a surplus of position X Y Z.. and maybe stars in A, B, C.. but the hope is we are a playoff team. meaning we'd pick again late in the rounds. so can't bet you'd find a star @ the position you are looking at. 3 1st rounders.. if they pan out like our 2 1st rounders did last year.. then this will be back 2 back steller drafts and another level foundation to keep the Vikings in the contention while growing into SB contenders.

i've said this before, with 11 pics you MIGHT get 3 starters, 3-4 backup/to be starters and 3-4 practice squad we'll develop you later guys. we have a few of those already, so either we dump the ones we have and keep the new ones, or they become fodder for the cut down dates..

besides.. FA isn't done.. who knows.. maybe we get the xbear.. or some other cut down causality if we can't get another MLB by maneuvering around. i'm sure we can find a gem or 2 with those later picks, and with 5 pics. we have the roster space to use them and not just collect to cut later.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post

packaging up our early mid rounds and grabbing a needed WR that CAN play this year is a smart move in my book. we still have 5 pics, and if needed we can delve into next years draft.
    Don't be delving into next years draft. We need those picks to get Johnny Football.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast