Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: we got him

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!! What a draft!!! Holy smokes, the drunken haze has cleared and we still have 3 first round, potential steals in Purple!!??! Wow.

Going into the night, my hopes were that DJ Hayden was going to push Rhodes down to us, and that we'd go for the WR with more experience and production, who is more likely to contribute in year one, De Hopkins.

But then I saw 5 of the first 10 picks go OL, the one position we're not looking at, and then, 8 of the first 20 were OL and I'm starting to freak out because at our positions of need, nearly nothing has gone off the board, and now I'm really, really into who the Bengals and Rams are going to pick in front of us, cuz they both had similar holes, and then Eifert goes, who we already have a clone of, and then Trufant goes to ATL with their move up and I'm going back through the draft, thinking "holy fucking shit, is Floyd really still there for us!???" Wow. Great, top ten value at 23, and he goes into a great situation playing with and learning from KWill, while still having 3 solid outside rushers too...Purple People Eaters anyone!??

And then IND goes with the DE, and I'm thinking wow, we've still got pick of the litter at several spots of need!? Adding Rhodes to Cook gives us a pair of tall, outside CBs who can play solid man coverage against the big body weapons we see so much of, while Robinson and Jefferson are great depth and at least one them should be able to shine in the nickel. And, reading between the lines a bit here, you've got to hope that Rhodes' selection means we will see more man coverage mixed in with our zone, cuz it says he's not so good in zone, while being very at home in a WR's hip pocket, right up on them step for step. Most mocks had him going by 15 at the latest, so at 25, he is another great value pick. And I'm stoked, and thinking, we are really focused on keeping our defense tough, and as much as I wanted a WR, I like our old school approach, and love the value picks we made. At this point I'm already in celebration mode, and the whiskey bottle is going around the room again and starting to get a little light!

And then Shefter shows up on the screen blabbing something about the Vikings talking trade with NE and I almost think I'm hallucinating, and they go to commercial and come back and we're on the freaking clock and the talking heads are all saying Te'o, until Gruden brings up the return game we lost with Harvin, and says Patterson might be our pick, and I'm nodding my head and probably drooling in my beer a little...LOL! Fuckin Fuck Yeah!! The kid may be raw with only 46 NCAA receptions, but he also rushed 25 times for 208 yards and 3 TDs and scored as a punt and kickoff returner!!! Immediate contributor on STs at least, who has the speed to go deep, and lets us leave some of the Harvin specific plays we'd come up with in the playbook. Plus, he's got 3" and 30 lbs on PH!~!

SKOL VIKINGS!!! NICE DRAFT!!!

Now we just gotta hope they all live up to their potential!!
    Good read. Glad you enjoyed day one as much as I did

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!! What a draft!!! Holy smokes, the drunken haze has cleared and we still have 3 first round, potential steals in Purple!!??! Wow.

Going into the night, my hopes were that DJ Hayden was going to push Rhodes down to us, and that we'd go for the WR with more experience and production, who is more likely to contribute in year one, De Hopkins.

But then I saw 5 of the first 10 picks go OL, the one position we're not looking at, and then, 8 of the first 20 were OL and I'm starting to freak out because at our positions of need, nearly nothing has gone off the board, and now I'm really, really into who the Bengals and Rams are going to pick in front of us, cuz they both had similar holes, and then Eifert goes, who we already have a clone of, and then Trufant goes to ATL with their move up and I'm going back through the draft, thinking "holy fucking shit, is Floyd really still there for us!???" Wow. Great, top ten value at 23, and he goes into a great situation playing with and learning from KWill, while still having 3 solid outside rushers too...Purple People Eaters anyone!??

And then IND goes with the DE, and I'm thinking wow, we've still got pick of the litter at several spots of need!? Adding Rhodes to Cook gives us a pair of tall, outside CBs who can play solid man coverage against the big body weapons we see so much of, while Robinson and Jefferson are great depth and at least one them should be able to shine in the nickel. And, reading between the lines a bit here, you've got to hope that Rhodes' selection means we will see more man coverage mixed in with our zone, cuz it says he's not so good in zone, while being very at home in a WR's hip pocket, right up on them step for step. Most mocks had him going by 15 at the latest, so at 25, he is another great value pick. And I'm stoked, and thinking, we are really focused on keeping our defense tough, and as much as I wanted a WR, I like our old school approach, and love the value picks we made. At this point I'm already in celebration mode, and the whiskey bottle is going around the room again and starting to get a little light!

And then Shefter shows up on the screen blabbing something about the Vikings talking trade with NE and I almost think I'm hallucinating, and they go to commercial and come back and we're on the freaking clock and the talking heads are all saying Te'o, until Gruden brings up the return game we lost with Harvin, and says Patterson might be our pick, and I'm nodding my head and probably drooling in my beer a little...LOL! Fuckin Fuck Yeah!! The kid may be raw with only 46 NCAA receptions, but he also rushed 25 times for 208 yards and 3 TDs and scored as a punt and kickoff returner!!! Immediate contributor on STs at least, who has the speed to go deep, and lets us leave some of the Harvin specific plays we'd come up with in the playbook. Plus, he's got 3" and 30 lbs on PH!~!

SKOL VIKINGS!!! NICE DRAFT!!!

Now we just gotta hope they all live up to their potential!!
    Dogfish 90? Least that's what did me in.

Mayock was all over the Patterson pick when he saw the Vikings make the trade. NFL Network's take on the pick.

Cordarrelle Patterson drafted No. 29 overall by Minnesota Vikings - NFL Videos

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think the compensation was fair...

1-29 = 640 pts
    2-52 = 380
    3-83 = 175
    4-102 = 92
    Total = 647

Seventh rounder probably wasn't needed. About right though.
    Then your selling the guy you claim as a great GM short.

You talk about how much value he got for his picks, but if he continued that trend & you added up the value you felt he would have gotten had he used the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 7th round picks, how much higher than 648 would it have been?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Dogfish 90? Least that's what did me in.

Mayock was all over the Patterson pick when he saw the Vikings make the trade. NFL Network's take on the pick.

Cordarrelle Patterson drafted No. 29 overall by Minnesota Vikings - NFL Videos
    Wow, that whole crew was all about that pick!

Never thought he'd be there for us, so I had only watched a little video, but wow, after finding more this mornin, this kid has got some skills! Hell, he even completes a pass or two, making the end-around more dangerous. Super versatile, super athletic, if he's willing to work and keep his head in the game, he could be special. I hope he wears #84 and does it proud!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Wow, that whole crew was all about that pick!

Never thought he'd be there for us, so I had only watched a little video, but wow, after finding more this mornin, this kid has got some skills! Hell, he even completes a pass or two, making the end-around more dangerous. Super versatile, super athletic, if he's willing to work and keep his head in the game, he could be special. I hope he wears #84 and does it proud!!
    I think he'll pick #12.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think he'll pick #12.
    #84. it's official. A large set of shoes to fill.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    #84. it's official. A large set of shoes to fill.
    Michael Jenkins? ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by nodakpaul View Post
    michael jenkins? ;d
    +1

=z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Pull yo 84 jerseys out!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Marrdro didn't even want a DT in the 1st round lol!
    Not sure what your talking about. I surely did. Just because I felt that Ricky boy was gonna go with Teo and Patterson didn't mean I didn't want one.

I always want one my friend. Always.

In the end, trying to guess what they are going to do and what I want them to do are two separate things. In this case, they did exactly what I wanted them to do (DT, CB, WR) just didn't get my MLB and truth be told, other than Minter, I'm not sure any of these cats would have come in and helped this year.
    What the fuck are you smoking? You laughed at me for wanting a CB! This is comical!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast