Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Um, the Packers had the worst pass defense going into the game. Not one of the worst, the worst.

Carolina's pass defense isn't half as good as GB as you say, it's tougher than GB's. A lot tougher.

Panthers pass defense is ranked 12th. GBs pass defense, after Ponder's 13-32, moved up one notch & is ranked 31st instead of 32.
    There you go with the stats again.

Everyone knows that the Packers secondary is notorious for contact. They were especially when they had Harris and McKenzie, and they still are with Woodson and co. I didn't say they're a great defense, I said that they contact receivers and disrupt timing. That's hard to overcome in your first start and contributed to Ponder's completions to attempts ratio.

If you really believe that the Panthers pass defense is better than the Packers because of the amount of yards they've allowed, I've been overestimating your knowledge of the game for a long time.

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Um, the Packers had the worst pass defense going into the game. Not one of the worst, the worst.

Carolina's pass defense isn't half as good as GB as you say, it's tougher than GB's. A lot tougher.

Panthers pass defense is ranked 12th. GBs pass defense, after Ponder's 13-32, moved up one notch & is ranked 31st instead of 32.
    Not to pile on, but just like I told the Packer fans that ripped on the Vikings years ago about having one of the 'worst' passing defenses in the NFL, to truly get the real story, you HAVE to look at the yards per attempt and not the total yards. In the case of the Vikings a few years ago, they allowed so many passing yards because they were so stout versus the run and teams HAD to pass against them. Their passing yards allowed per attempt back then was right around the average (I used to have a graphic for it).

Looking at GBs passing defense this year, yes they lead the league in most passing yards allowed. But their passing yards allowed per attempt is 7. Which is .2 yards more than what the average team allows (and what Minnesota allows as well). The best team in this category is the Stillers with 4.9 pass yards per attempt.

So while GB isn't as bad as you think they may be at passing defense, they are better than Carolina (the Panthers allow 7.5 yards per attempt).
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Panthersfan#89 is offline Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    That's not necessarily true. If Ponder can stay poised and utilize the play-action like he did against Green Bay, Adrian Peterson will run wild. Our offense is one-dimensional without Ponder. If Ponder can't stay poised, you can stack 8-9 in the box, and stop our offense all day. Steve Smith will kill us, but I'm not worried about your running backs. I stand by my statement that the best QB play wins this game. Not individual statistic wise, but in terms of managing the game. Ponder doesn't have to out-run or out-pass Newton to win the QB battle. Ponder will get his first win if he can take pressure off of AP and make our offense multidimensional.
    Dont under estimate our RB's! Deangelo and Jonathon Stewart are very good RB's! They arent AP but to say your not worried about them is silly! They both ran for 1000+ yards in the same season. Our Offense has firepower at every posistion! Our defense is the thing you shouldnt worry about, thats what will lose the game for us!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Formo View Post
    Not to pile on, but just like I told the Packer fans that ripped on the Vikings years ago about having one of the 'worst' passing defenses in the NFL, to truly get the real story, you HAVE to look at the yards per attempt and not the total yards. In the case of the Vikings a few years ago, they allowed so many passing yards because they were so stout versus the run and teams HAD to pass against them. Their passing yards allowed per attempt back then was right around the average (I used to have a graphic for it).

Looking at GBs passing defense this year, yes they lead the league in most passing yards allowed. But their passing yards allowed per attempt is 7. Which is .2 yards more than what the average team allows (and what Minnesota allows as well). The best team in this category is the Stillers with 4.9 pass yards per attempt.

So while GB isn't as bad as you think they may be at passing defense, they are better than Carolina (the Panthers allow 7.5 yards per attempt).
    You should also take into effect how good the GB Offense is at scoring which puts opposing teams in a hole and makes them go to the air more to try and catch up, it also puts Green Bay in a mode where their defense plays more of a bend but don't break approach, you should also consider how many points they give up, how many first downs and its effect on TOP, then you have to look at the opponents they've played so far, ......

Look at the other high scoring teams in the league and see how their pass defense looks.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthersfan#89 View Post
    Dont under estimate our RB's! Deangelo and Jonathon Stewart are very good RB's! They arent AP but to say your not worried about them is silly! They both ran for 1000+ yards in the same season. Our Offense has firepower at every posistion! Our defense is the thing you shouldnt worry about, thats what will lose the game for us!
    Smith will drive us nuts as usual, Cam will enjoy playing against our back 7. the Vikings defense has made many a QB look like world beaters. JA will have his work cut out to bring this man child down.

Your running backs are solid as well and should not be overlooked.

Ponder has his work cut out for him, but I look forward to seeing how he does. Big wildcard right now.

If you can ignore the dismal records, this should be a good game to watch.

Panthersfan#89 is offline Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Smith will drive us nuts as usual, Cam will enjoy playing against our back 7. the Vikings defense has made many a QB look like world beaters. JA will have his work cut out to bring this man child down.

Your running backs are solid as well and should not be overlooked.

Ponder has his work cut out for him, but I look forward to seeing how he does. Big wildcard right now.

If you can ignore the dismal records, this should be a good game to watch.
    I agree, it should be a very good game. I think a shootout with the last team with the ball winning, due to our defense's.

I guess at this point I am a man with humble expectations and less lofty goals for the game. I just want to see progress at all facets. We haven't played as a cohesive unit in a while and we seem to be flailing away without knowing exactly what's wrong and how to fix it.
    We obviously have glaring needs and holes to fill in our roster. I want to see Ponder settle in as best he can with the line that's protecting him and make his reads and execute. I have no doubt that he will develop fast and his intelligence is not even in question. I am happy that his supposed lack of arm strength doesn't appear to be an issue. He doesn't have a Cutler like cannon but he can make the throws he needs to.
    Our crappy secondary just got worse with the loss of Cook and we are probably not going to make any serious improvements until the off season. I'm not that critical of Frazier just yet but will expect him to improve with the rest of the squad.
    I am really wanting to see better play out of our linebackers, especially in pass coverage. They have been a step behind all year. I expect a 40 million dollar linebacker to make more plays than he has been. EJ has a bum knee and has lost a step or two. I have also noticed that they have be converging on the same gap and when the back cuts or pushes it outside they seem to be taking themselves out of the play. I've seen them lose contain more often than I would like.
    Lets just make some positive step forward and start to develop some cohesion now that we potentially have the qb position solidified. We definitely need to acquire a star receiver for Ponder in the off season. Blackmon?
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully it comes down to long well kicking a game winning FG. That will really tick Marty off when he wins the game.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Hopefully it comes down to long well kicking a game winning FG. That will really tick Marty off when he wins the game.
    I will jizz if longwell kicks a 65 yarder to win the game.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboe View Post
    Thanks, that was good.

Only thing I didn't like was VS clowning around through the Star Spangled Banner...
    I agree. I like Shiancoe and I can understand it probably gets old to sit through the anthem every week but have some respect. Then again I want to slap the ball cap off anyone who leaves it on during the anthem when I'm at games. But I also understand some people may have not been raised that way. No pledge of allegiance in school and what-not.

Back on topic.... Ponder rocks!!!!!!! ....On the other hand... I wouldn't say it out loud, but I'll type that I'm kind of getting into the "Suck for Luck" campaign train of thought while I watch the Vikes slip out of playoff contention. I guess I'm in the acceptance stage.
    Last edited by lakehubertviking; 10-28-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast