Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

We FINALLY have a franchise QB! (Official Ponder thread)

How in the hell does this thread not exist yet? Hello people.... We have a franchise QB! I was scared to rush him in, and I couldn't have been anymore wrong. This guy is the future. For the first time in years, I have hope. We have hope. This kid could be special. Chad Pennington? Give me a break. How about Steve Young? If he can stay healthy, we might actually be able to compete in the best division in football. I had concerns about his arm strength; couldn't have been anymore wrong. Even on his two interceptions, the reads were on-point. He just underestimated a hall of fame corner in Woodson. Those throws will come in time. He already looks heads and shoulders above Gabbert and Dalton. The only rookie with more potential is Cam Newton, and they are polar opposites. We need to draft Justin Blackmon in the first round, and a stud LT in the 2nd, and this team will be in business. Couldn't be happier at 1-6 right now. What's better than winning? Hope. And to know that we are FINALLY done with stop-gap geezer QB's.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

mrhurriicane is offline Waterboy
    This was the first time we lost to the Packers and I felt good afterwards. Looking forward, there is still a lot of work to be done. I believe the true test will come in our next two games. This team always plays better at home and we will see how we do on grass in Carolina and Green Bay. Ponder's mobility is something that I am really excited about as well. I thought the offensive line played great yesterday and going forward I've never been as excited to be a fan of a 1-6 team.

I saw some really nice things from him yesterday. Gave me some hope also. Also made some typical rookie mistakes. If he can make defenses pay for putting 8-9 men in the box, will in turn give more running lanes for A.D. Which in turn makes an explosive offense.. IMHO.. I cant wait to watch his progression through this year. Gives me another good reason to keep watching the games..

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    I have hope for the future, no doubt. But I definitely do NOT feel good about that loss. We should have punch the damn pukers in the mouth, and just about did. McCarthy reportedly told the Packers either during halftime or before the game that the Vikings "would blow their wad" and to make sure the Packers "keep playing their style of game". Too bad our Vikes didn't blow their wad in the pukers faces.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Blog Entries
    Mobility is nice. That being said, it's very overrated in quarterbacks that don't have the ability to throw on the run. That's where I think Ponder looks so great. Throwing on the run is something that most quarterbacks never get comfortable doing. It looks like he is just as comfortable throwing on the run as he is throwing from the pocket. Which adds to his amazing escapability (sp?). That roll-out play action move is exactly what we needed to jumpstart our offense. He is going to allow us to utilize AP to his full abilities (which is something that Donovan could not do).

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I'm hopefully, but It's way, way too early to call him a franchise QB. We still know very little about him. Let's see if he makes it the rest of the season without getting injured first.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I'm hopefully, but It's way, way too early to call him a franchise QB. We still know very little about him. Let's see if he makes it the rest of the season without getting injured first.
    I agree 100%. We have much reason for hope, but one game does not a franchise QB make.

There is more POTENTIAL for it than we have seen in a long time. I will grant that much.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Whoa there. He has played one game and it was a loss so I think that any sort of coronation needs to wait until at least half time of his second game.

He looked good and I hope like heck that he becomes the QB we fans have been waiting for for decades but I think we need to calm down, take a step back and watch this thing develop. He had some nice plays yesterday but he also had some clunkers in there and we need to give him time to see whether he can build on the good things while eliminating the bad ones.

I think that our perception of QB play has been skewed by a quite a run of terrible players that,with the exception of the one who played in 2009, have been anything except good and it might take a while to grasp what a competent player really looks like.

That being said as a fan of the Vikings you have to be excited about anyone that shows even a pulse in terms of QB life and he seems to have that at a minimum.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    How in the hell does this thread not exist yet? Hello people.... We have a franchise QB! I was scared to rush him in, and I couldn't have been anymore wrong. This guy is the future.
    Wow. A 40% completion rate is the future? God, I hope not.

Ponder looked okay for a rookie. Nothing more.

Put it his way - if Ponder's stat line from yesterday was McNabb's - what would you be saying?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Wow. A 40% completion rate is the future? God, I hope not.

Ponder looked okay for a rookie. Nothing more.

Put it his way - if Ponder's stat line from yesterday was McNabb's - what would you be saying?

=Z=
    Umm...his first ever start in the NFL, against a defending Super Bowl champion (undefeated) football team? Jesus. What more could he have done? Nothing more than okay? Did you even watch the game? Did you expect a Tom Brady-like performance? First of all, our pathetic excuse of a defense kept him on the field every 2 minutes. He avoided 10 sacks, made precision passes, converted on tons of 3rd downs, established the play-action, and put us in a position to beat the undefeated champions. He is smart, athletic, and poised. Look at Blaine Gabbert ("the fish out of water") on MNF right now. The pessimism on this site is so fucking depressing. The kid was our 1st round draft pick. Of course I expect him to be our franchise quarterback. The fact that he looks NFL-ready in his first start backs that up. Now let's give him a top 5 pick WR or LT, and we will be in business.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast