Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Fault lies with the scheme with me my friend. Not the individual players or position groups.

I do admit, however, that I do look to the bigs up front first, as you contend. Its my nature. Same goes for the offense. If they are doing their job everyone else looks good doing theirs.

Many times.......??? Obviously you didn't listen to (or read) what our HC had to say about that.
    LOL, ok, maybe it wasn't many times. I just seem to remember a few of the plays where we got to the QB there were more than 4 guys rushing.

The pass defense played better yesterday than I expected against a good passing offense like Detroit. It helped that we got a lead and could emphasize a conservative deep coverage defense. Even Cook seemed to be playing a bit of a deep zone at times. A number of dropped passes by Detroit helped, but I think the secondary should be given a fair amount of credit for their performance yesterday. As well as the DL of course

I will agree with your overall point though that the Cover/Tampa 2 defense is still a valid approach as long as you have the right talent and execution.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Fault lies with the scheme with me my friend.
    That's what I wanted to hear. Yet you don't want the Vikings to adjust the scheme?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    My biggest gripe was they went to the prevent defense late in the game. We all know the prevent defense prevents nothing, and the Lions drove the length of the field and scored their lone touchdown against it(took about 2minutes off the clock).
    We still won the game, but the Lions got an opportunity to tie it up at the end that should have never been given.
    I would like to see more aggressive play calling from the offense and defense when they have a lead late.
    I hate it as well, but when you look at how much time came off the clock for them to get the score and our outcome and then compare that to what happened in the Panthers Falcons game I bet the Panther fans are saying, ....

"....Damn, I wish they would have went into a prevent defense and kept their DB's back a big more so that the long pass wouldn't have happened...."

Kindof a catch 22 if you ask me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    LOL, ok, maybe it wasn't many times. I just seem to remember a few of the plays where we got to the QB there were more than 4 guys rushing.

The pass defense played better yesterday than I expected against a good passing offense like Detroit. It helped that we got a lead and could emphasize a conservative deep coverage defense. Even Cook seemed to be playing a bit of a deep zone at times. A number of dropped passes by Detroit helped, but I think the secondary should be given a fair amount of credit for their performance yesterday. As well as the DL of course

I will agree with your overall point though that the Cover/Tampa 2 defense is still a valid approach as long as you have the right talent and execution.
    LOL, no worries. Don't get me wrong, I agree that you just can't send the front 4. You have to mix in a blitzer to keep them honest. I'm just saying that you should be able to get it done, for the most part, with the bigs so that you don't weaken your back end.

Another thing I was waiting for someone to chime in on is that they disguised those blitzes alot better that last 2 weeks. I absolutely hated all the "Mug" looks we showed all the time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That's what I wanted to hear. Yet you don't want the Vikings to adjust the scheme?
    But I do. The issue is personnel. Show me all the guys we will be able to draft next year that will allow it.

Heck, show me the plan to add all the FA's we need that will allow it.

In the end you can't. That is why ALL teams rely on some variant of "Zone" coverage on the backend. Just not enough talent to allow otherwise. Prime example...=....Jets. keep on watching how that D struggles without their shutdown guy.

Nope, wrong again. You obviously don't pay attention. What I will say is that the C2 and T2 won't work if the DL can't get pressure on the QB alone.

When that gets done the scheme works.

And it isn't a dead scheme. There are a myriad of variants out there being run today whether its the hybrid 3-4 that the Ravens run or the 4-3 that almost everyone else in the league is shifting back to. Well, with one exception. The Colts who, by the way run the Ravens 3-4 variant of the T2.

Like the WCO, every team uses it. EVERY team.

Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings are only teams using cover 2 defense - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

only two teams -- the Bears and Vikings -- consider the cover 2 to be their base defense. Most teams are switching to more combination man coverages

And your point is?

I knew I should have put this article in my other post..........

The cover 2 remains a part of most defensive playbooks and likely will never entirely die.
    Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings are only teams using cover 2 defense - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

And your point is?

I knew I should have put this article in my other post..........

There's a difference between it being "a part" of a teams defense and being it's corp defense.

It's like saying we or all teams are a vertical offense because we and all teams do throw deep passes.

Anyone beeeyyyyatching about the scheme today? Even ole Whinny got a gift INT thrown to him because the DL was getting after it.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Anyone beeeyyyyatching about the scheme today? Even ole Whinny got a gift INT thrown to him because the DL was getting after it.
    They varied there look on defense many times yesterday. DL rotation was like a carousel as well as the alignments. Whinny's INT wasn't a gift, it was a good read and reaction by him. He is still a gamer and will take his shots when he sees them.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast