Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Sadly this thread was from last year but it reads like it's talking about our current defense. The cover 0 is worse than ever and still making every QB look like Montana.
    including 3rd stringer journey man... named Brian Hoyer...

Bill_89 is offline Waterboy
    I do think the Vikings would be best served by accepting the reality of the modern NFL. This is a passing league. Like many, I'm tired of the excessive use of FBs and TEs. I think the base set should be Jennings, Patterson, Simpson or Wright, Rudolph and AP in the backfield. Open it up and create some space. Force other teams to use more CBs, which may ironically open up more holes in the ground game. Peterson is perceived as a power-runner, but he seems to be way more effective in space.

I think scheme is part of the problem on defense too. Especially with the decline of JA and KWill, there's not enough pressure with the front four. I would like to see more blitzes. They're going to get carved up over the middle either way. Their best chance of getting off the field is to sack the QB or force a turn-over. If they give up a big play every now and then, so be it. At least that'll address the fatigue excuse.
    Last edited by Bill_89; 09-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    I do think the Vikings would be best served by accepting the reality of the modern NFL. This is a passing league. Like many, I'm tired of the excessive use of FBs and TEs. I think the base set should be Jennings, Patterson, Simpson or Wright, Rudolph and AP in the backfield. Open it up and create some space. Force other teams to use more CBs, which may ironically open up more holes in the ground game. Peterson is perceived as a power-runner, but he seems to be way more effective in space.

I think scheme is part of the problem on defense too. Especially with the decline of JA and KWill, there's not enough pressure with the front four. I would like to see more blitzes. They're going to get carved up over the middle either way. Their best chance of getting off the field is to sack the QB or force a turn-over. If they give up a big play every now and then, so be it. At least that'll address the fatigue excuse.
    When you build your OL & QB around primarily pounding the ball with very little regard to the thought of having to pass it & you have to resort to passing the ball because your running game is almost shut down, you're not going to have a lot of success.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Interestingly they had Killer Lewis ( Ray to some of you) on after MNF last night and asked him about stopping Peyton Manning and he said that last year before the playoffs he went to the coaches and told them they needed to run a zone defense against the broncos to win and that after watching the playoff games he has played in if teams went with man on man coverage he won every game and the only times he was beaten was when teams went with a zone defense and used a ball control offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post

Even when we blitz, we rarely get there.... best thing to do would be to give Griffen more run.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Interestingly they had Killer Lewis ( Ray to some of you) on after MNF last night and asked him about stopping Peyton Manning and he said that last year before the playoffs he went to the coaches and told them they needed to run a zone defense against the broncos to win and that after watching the playoff games he has played in if teams went with man on man coverage he won every game and the only times he was beaten was when teams went with a zone defense and used a ball control offense.
    uhhh... too bad we don't play Peyton and the broncos this year!!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011