Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well that depends on the route but you can press and still be in zone if you hand the WR off to another defender after they get to a certain point on the field. In man they would lock onto the WR for their whole route. Conversely you could be in man coverage and still give a ten yard cushion if that is what the coaches called for,
    Purps got it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    To think he can start out on day 1 with every player having the skill set he wants is ludicrous. You have to take the talent you have on the roster and make the defense work with them.
    I can live with that.

Now you are getting confusing. A Nose Tackle plays a 0-1 tech from what I know and and under tackle plays a 3 tech on either the strong side or the weak side depending on if they are playing an over or under alignment. So are you looking for a nose tackle to line up right over the center and either take him straight up or shadow the strong side gap or are you looking for an undertackle that lines up outside the guard? Or are you talking about one guy who can play all of those spots from straight up over the center to the Guards outside shoulder?
    And when have you seen me not twist things to keep a thread going? Comeon my friend. Its my modus operandi and you know it.

Anyway, what do you think Noga and Ball played then? Lined up the same as Phat Pat did but in essence played heads up on the C or G that they lined up on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

WCO/Cover 2 needs to go

Bump lol

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    WHERE YOU AT MARRDRO? Still believe in the Cover 2? Just because JA and Kevin Williams arent carving up teams anymore, its made our D look ridiculous. A defense that depends on front 4 pressure for it to work is laughable. Since JA isnt getting any pressure, and K-Dub isnt, the opposing QB has all day in the pocket to survey the field, take a smoke break, check his fantasy football team and then complete the pass..

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Sadly this thread was from last year but it reads like it's talking about our current defense. The cover 0 is worse than ever and still making every QB look like Montana.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    WHERE YOU AT MARRDRO? Still believe in the Cover 2? Just because JA and Kevin Williams arent carving up teams anymore, its made our D look ridiculous. A defense that depends on front 4 pressure for it to work is laughable. Since JA isnt getting any pressure, and K-Dub isnt, the opposing QB has all day in the pocket to survey the field, take a smoke break, check his fantasy football team and then complete the pass..
    He's over at Facebook on the MN Vikings Fan Page still bragging up & supporting Ponder because he has a few people licking his boots buying into what he is selling. He's also still pushing the "our scheme is fine, the DB's suck because the front 4 aren't getting any pressure" theory as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He's also still pushing the "our scheme is fine, the DB's suck because the front 4 aren't getting any pressure" theory as well.
    If the front four do not get pressure, the DBs will be exposed in any scheme.

The Tampa 2 requires quick cover safeties and ball hawking corners. It requires pressure up front. The scheme requires a middle linebacker with great cover skills. The Tampa 2 is a good defense for a team that has a high powered offense that scores many points, as the Tampa 2 is designed to scuttle long drives and take away the quick retaliatory strike.

Does that sound like the Vikings in 1998? Does it look like the Colts with Manning? Do the Vikings have that kind of offense now? Do the Vikings have the personnel now?

The Vikings do not have the personnel to run the Tampa 2. Even if they did, the offense is designed around the ground game which is less efficient than an offense designed around the passing game. The combination of schemes is like a government with low taxes and high spending, as it often leaves a deficit of scoring.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Doesn't matter what defense we're running, if it gives up 30 points a game something has to change. Right now the Pants on Fire Defense might be better. This team shows a lack of motivation and fire- critical ingredients for good defense.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    We can play all the different schemes on defence we want, but we just don't have the talent in the backfield to stop anyone from passing against us.. The only player that has quality is Harrison Smith, Josh Robinson is not a starting caliber player, but a backup.. Xavier Rhodes was beat out by Robinson, AJ Jefferson is terrible and Chris Cook has 0 career INTs.

Its not the scheme. Plenty of teams has been successfull with a cover 2 type scheme.. They just had better players.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Aside from Smith, I don't think we have a starting caliber DB on the team.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast