Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

WCO/Cover 2 needs to go

The Vikings need a new innovative coaching staff. Our coaching staff is too old school. The Vikings have a 1960's philosophy where you pound the run the run, and have a "Manager" QB to throw 5-10 yards to convert 3n2's! This is ridiculous. We had a dynamic offense for 1 year in the past 6 years that we have been a WCO. The only reason the O was good cause brett favre ran the show, and threw deep.. the coaches let him do what he likes. Name three top WCO offenses? Eagles is the only one, and they are barely WCO. WE CAN THROW DEEP, TEAMS ARE PLAYING MAN 2 MAN PRESS ON US ALL DAY!! COLTS NEVER ZONED WITH THEIR SUCKY CORNERS. THEY HAD 8 IN THE BOX AND MAN'D UP.. WHY DIDN'T WE RUN FLY ROUTES WITH PERCY AND AROMASHADOU. I think the team doesnt trust Ponders arm, and how he over analyzes.. We need a new O, and maybe bring in Landry Jones.

The Cover 2 is the worst. It was effective in the early 90s, but now my brothers Highschool team could pass against it. Zone defense isnt meant to be played EVERY SINGLE DOWN!! You zone here and there when your opponent thinks you are in man coverage. Our Zone sucks! Erin Henderson whiffs on Reggie Wayne and he walks in for a 30 yard td.. Had we been playing man, MAYBE it couldve been contested or swatted. We can't catch INTs with the bend but dont break Defense! Darren Sharper had 9 ints 2 years in a row with us before childress came and made us a Cover 2 defense with Mike Tomlin, MT was a good D coord because he knew how to design blitzes, and disguise coverage. 5 teams in the last 2 years have converted from cover 2 to 3-4 D.. I think Vikes are the only team left thats cover 2. Tampa even left cover 2. COVER 2 Prevent was retarded! It has many holes, and I can't believe we did it 2 FUDGING WEEKS IN A ROW! Winfield only has a job cause he is only useful in Cover 2, man 2 man he is dead to rights. We need a new D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I already now what Marrdro is going to say. We have the right defensive scheme, but players that don't fit the scheme.

As far as the offense is concerned, when your only two targets are Harvin & AD & you're throwing 0-7 yards max on most of your passes, it doesn't take a genius to defend against it

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I already now what Marrdro is going to say. We have the right defensive scheme, but players that don't fit the scheme.

As far as the offense is concerned, when your only two targets are Harvin & AD & you're throwing 0-7 yards max on most of your passes, it doesn't take a genius to defend against it
    No. You can't run a cover 2 scheme successfully anymore. NO ONE runs it as their base D anymore. Cover 2 is great to mix in here and there to catch a QB off guard, but not every single frickin down. I Could probably throw against the Vikes D. Our Defense hasnt been good since Ted Cotrell. When Ted was here, we played man, and our safeties were able to roam.. we havent had an OK backfield since Young Winfield/Brian Williams Sharper/Chavous... They were above average and not getting killed Sharper had 9 picks, winfield had 4, Chavous 4, and brian williams 4.. Once we went to cover 2, we havent had a DB had over 4 INTs.

Our Offense except when Brett Favre ran the show for two years has been the famous run run shortpass/screen. We have deep threats... Harvin/Rudolph/Aromashadou/Wright/Simpson soon.. Let Ponder toss the rock.. how can we tell if he is the guy, if we are playing to let him not make mistakes?

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    The Cover 2 depends so much on whoever is the middle linebacker and getting a good enough pass rush from the front 4.. But we can't do that right now because our middle linebacker and DT's are not good enough as we speak..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I hear what you are saying and i have said it myself but in the end changing the scheme without changing the coaches and the players isn't going to change anything.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that we decided to switch from c2 to a 4-3 man defense. Do you think we have the talent to cover any team man to man in the secondary? Do you think we have the coaches to teach them the fundamentals and to put them in the best position to be be successful?

If the question is no then the scheme change is not going to make things better and might make them worse.

Personally I want to see how the next 4-6 weeks go and see if there is any growth on the team and if not then I say it is time to just blow up the FO and change course while the team is still young.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    I am very disappointed in our vanilla offense and soft defense. 2 weeks and no takeaways, against young QB's.

We will get killed by NFC North QB's at this rate.

I was willing to give Frasier the benefit of the doubt, but I have him and the rest of the staff on a very short leash.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    I am very disappointed in our vanilla offense and soft defense. 2 weeks and no takeaways, against young QB's.

We will get killed by NFC North QB's at this rate.

I was willing to give Frasier the benefit of the doubt, but I have him and the rest of the staff on a very short leash.
    Good post ND, pretty much my sentiments exactly on this, Vanilla is getting old, really fast.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    "With the way defenses have evolved over the years, I have gravitated towards more of the down-the-field throws," Musgrave said.
    NFL: Jaguars to install 'West Coast offense'

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Nope, wrong again. You obviously don't pay attention. What I will say is that the C2 and T2 won't work if the DL can't get pressure on the QB alone.

When that gets done the scheme works.

And it isn't a dead scheme. There are a myriad of variants out there being run today whether its the hybrid 3-4 that the Ravens run or the 4-3 that almost everyone else in the league is shifting back to. Well, with one exception. The Colts who, by the way run the Ravens 3-4 variant of the T2.

Like the WCO, every team uses it. EVERY team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast