Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Washington Post Article on How Redskins Defense Stopped Vikings

"singersp" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

And I would argue that Washington didn't stop our running game - Childress did. We averaged nearly 3.5 yards per carry - yet passed nearly three times as much as we ran.

Let's face facts about AD and C.Tay running the ball since the Niners game against an 8-9 man stacked box....They can't do it very well. To many people for the O-line to block plain and simple.

So by your post I assume you think we should just run run run and hope for a change in results?? Could we get 3.5 yards a carry?? We couldn't even get half a yard out of our own endzone on first down last week and you think we can maintain a 3.5 yard per carry average this week??
    Well...I don't see it but I respect your opinion nodak.

I noticed that we were able to get TDs when we changed mode in the second half of the Redskins game, so I was thinkiing why not continue that type of attack. In any case....I will be very interested to see what Denver does defensively and what game plan Childress has lined up for them.

Cheers!
    The definitition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result.

I have to disagree with NodakPaul's assesment that we ran for an averaged 3.5 yards per carry.

Between AD, C-Tay & Richardson's 16 rushes we only averaged 2.5 YPC. AD averaged 3 YPC (one went for 18 when he ran outside) & C-Tay
    averaged 2.3 YPC.

Only when you factor in Allison's 3 yard run & T-Jack's 8 runs for 44 yards do you get the 3.5 yard average.

T-Jack's runs were not designed runs, with the exception of the sneak.
    If you are going to try and remove the outliers, then why not take Richardson's one run for -1 yards off too?
    That brings us to a 2.75 ypc average... and you said it yourself - AD averaged 3 ypc by himself.
    That is not stopping the running game.

Yes, one of his carries was an 18 yard run, but that is the type of runner AD is.
    He is not going to pull off 5 yard runs every time.
    Just like in the San Diego game (when he was at 40 yard at halftime).
    But as we wear down defensive lines and holes open up, AD can and will exploit those holes.

I didn't look, but I don't believe we have won any games this year where we passed more times than we rushed.
    Even if the rush is getting stopped in the first half, we fare much better when we remain committed to the run.
    In order to remain committed to the run, we need to eliminate stupid turnovers early in the game.
    Notice that all three of our turnovers came off from passes very early in the first half...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Washington Post Article on How Redskins Defense Stopped Vikings

Many good points to ponder, good post guys. I believe we have to let Tarvaris throw some more on first and second downs. A flanker screen would be the ticket, let Allison come in motion and hit him while Wade, and Rice get some downfield blocking. We just have to surprise a stacked defense earlier in the first half and show we can counter a stacked box. We cannot wait til halftime to make adjustments, they have to be made in real time. More flair patterns with play-action, even with AD in we must throw it. A flea-flicker could get somebody open downfield the way teams are stacked against us. This could be our last game of the season, so I say damn the torpedoes and let Tarvaris rip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123