Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Washington Post Article on How Redskins Defense Stopped Vikings

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Luckily, Washington is one of the few teams that can leave a 3 man secondary.
    Landry has amazing speed to be able to cover the entire field from the middle.
    Other teams, specifically Denver, will not be able to use this approach to defeat our running game.

Hmmm....not sure Nodak?? I don't see any change in how any team defends against the run on us until we can prove we can beat it. Shanahan is no dummy....he's looked at film from several games and knows that our running game is deadly if it isn't managed correctly.

I look for almost exactly the same defensive scheem as we have seen in the last 4 games.

Cheers!
    Washington's scheme was completely different than we saw in the other three.
    That was my point.
    Washington sat in a version of the cover 3 for the entire first half - something that they are uniquely suited to do with Landry's speed.
    Denver doesn't have nearly the speed to pull it off, especially outdoors.

And I would argue that Washington didn't stop our running game - Childress did.
    We averaged nearly 3.5 yards per carry - yet passed nearly three times as much as we ran.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Frostbite is offline Coach

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Luckily, Washington is one of the few teams that can leave a 3 man secondary.
    Landry has amazing speed to be able to cover the entire field from the middle.
    Other teams, specifically Denver, will not be able to use this approach to defeat our running game.

Hmmm....not sure Nodak?? I don't see any change in how any team defends against the run on us until we can prove we can beat it. Shanahan is no dummy....he's looked at film from several games and knows that our running game is deadly if it isn't managed correctly.

I look for almost exactly the same defensive scheem as we have seen in the last 4 games.

Cheers!
    Washington's scheme was completely different than we saw in the other three.
    That was my point.
    Washington sat in a version of the cover 3 for the entire first half - something that they are uniquely suited to do with Landry's speed.
    Denver doesn't have nearly the speed to pull it off, especially outdoors.

And I would argue that Washington didn't stop our running game - Childress did.
    We averaged nearly 3.5 yards per carry - yet passed nearly three times as much as we ran.

Perhaps....but I think anytime you face 8 against 5 on the line you are not going to run the ball good enough to win the game unless your O-line is over-powering everybody...and that ain't happening.....The defensive scheems were slightly different by Washington...I will conceed that,
    but basically the same in result. Let's face facts about AD and C.Tay running the ball since the Niners game against an 8-9 man stacked box....They can't do it very well. To many people for the O-line to block plain and simple.

So by your post I assume you think we should just run run run and hope for a change in results?? Could we get 3.5 yards a carry?? We couldn't even get half a yard out of our own endzone on first down last week and you think we can maintain a 3.5 yard per carry average this week??
    Well...I don't see it but I respect your opinion nodak.

I noticed that we were able to get TDs when we changed mode in the second half of the Redskins game, so I was thinkiing why not continue that type of attack. In any case....I will be very interested to see what Denver does defensively and what game plan Childress has lined up for them.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I wish TJ was able to exploit a 3 man secondary. You better believe McNabb is was at home sunday night licking his chops at the opportunity to be on this team. Chicago has nowhere near the line and running backs that we have. Look for him to have much interest in coming here.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah

McNabb has already packed his bags,filled the truck full of Chunky and hired a real estate agent in Wayzata. The line and receiving corps are so spectacular here I bet he has a woody just thinking about it.
    He will be unveiled as the latest Herschel Walker immediately following our next loss.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

If we had a decent QB it wouldnt matter. Can you imagine what a Brady or Farve would do facing the defenses TJ has seen? Until TJ proves he can complete a pass (to our team) we will be seeing the same D next year too. And I dont mean a 5 yard slant or screen, any QB can do that.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

And I would argue that Washington didn't stop our running game - Childress did. We averaged nearly 3.5 yards per carry - yet passed nearly three times as much as we ran.

Let's face facts about AD and C.Tay running the ball since the Niners game against an 8-9 man stacked box....They can't do it very well. To many people for the O-line to block plain and simple.

So by your post I assume you think we should just run run run and hope for a change in results?? Could we get 3.5 yards a carry?? We couldn't even get half a yard out of our own endzone on first down last week and you think we can maintain a 3.5 yard per carry average this week??

I noticed that we were able to get TDs when we changed mode in the second half of the Redskins game, so I was thinkiing why not continue that type of attack. In any case....I will be very interested to see what Denver does defensively and what game plan Childress has lined up for them.

Cheers!
    The definitition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result.

I have to disagree with NodakPaul's assesment that we ran for an averaged 3.5 yards per carry.

Between AD, C-Tay & Richardson's 16 rushes we only averaged 2.5 YPC. AD averaged 3 YPC (one went for 18 when he ran outside) & C-Tay
    averaged 2.3 YPC.

Only when you factor in Allison's 3 yard run & T-Jack's 8 runs for 44 yards do you get the 3.5 yard average.

T-Jack's runs were not designed runs, with the exception of the sneak.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingsMB is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

And I would argue that Washington didn't stop our running game - Childress did. We averaged nearly 3.5 yards per carry - yet passed nearly three times as much as we ran.

Let's face facts about AD and C.Tay running the ball since the Niners game against an 8-9 man stacked box....They can't do it very well. To many people for the O-line to block plain and simple.

Cheers!
    The definitition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result.

I have to disagree with NodakPaul's assesment that we ran for an averaged 3.5 yards per carry.

Between AD, C-Tay & Richardson's 16 rushes we only averaged 2.5 YPC. AD averaged 3 YPC (one went for 18 when he ran outside) & C-Tay
    averaged 2.3 YPC.

Only when you factor in Allison's 3 yard run & T-Jack's 8 runs for 44 yards do you get the 3.5 yard average.

T-Jack's runs were not designed runs, with the exception of the sneak.
    I would say Bevell/Childress Would be the culprit in the running game.
    You have to assume that you will see that
    8 man front ongoing, the same as last year when the Pats exposed it initially.
    Denver will show it on Sunday and if the miracle happens that Dallas actually shows up to play and we see a post season game, Seattle will show it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Frostbite" wrote:
    I tend to agree with some of your counter points....as I said in the post T.Jack will have to be able to make some plays...but then look at the other side of this. If he can't even execute the simple throws with touch and accurracy then it needs to be seen by everybody before the end of the season. It's time...in my humble opinion for T.Jack to fish or cut bait with regard to performance. If he flounders again it's going to be another reason he will have to work very hard in the off season and be under a lot of scrutiny in TC next year. I say let the kid try and grow up a little in this Denver game....not way out there in play calls...but enough to at least keep the defense honest. Afterall....any new QB in the NFL that hopes to go on to bigger and better things should be able to execute simple throws, short passes and pitch tosses to the backs just as well as being able to simply hand the ball off...or make a completion off of play action once out of five throws.

If the argument is that T.Jack can't perform some of the easiest tasks yet because of his lack of experience I am forced to then also wonder about his future actual ABILITY to become a TOP QB in this League. My puple colored glasses are off concerning this kid...and although I'm still not turned against him totally my patient attitude about him is wearing thin. Let's see if he can make some plays??

Cheers!
    Thats what I'm saying my friend.
    Excellent points.

I was pretty patient all year and expected to have some highs and lows, but towards the end of the year it appeared we were having some of the same lows again.

EJmat and Uffda have steered me back on course.

Lets hope he continues to improve and see what next year brings.

I for one will trust the coaches, if they think he is gonna be the real deal, then I'm onboard.
    If they don't then I anticipate the organization going after another option.
    If that happens I am onboard.

Regardless, I agree, let him play this weekend and open the book.
    I will be stocking extra brews to nullify the pain if he lets us down....... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    They left alot of the field vacant, that is for sure. We need to be able to take advantage of that if we are ever going to move forward. I think the coaches will react to the criticism and have a very creative plan for the Broncos this week.
    See, this is exactly what I meant by not always agreeing.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D

Trust me, the coaches won't be reacting to criticism. The will be reacting to what the hell happened and after watching a butt load of game tape will make adjustments if they are able.

Again, it is easy to say make adjustments, but if you don't have the talent to make those adjustments it is futile.

(Notice how I didn't blame the lack of talent on TJ?
    ;D)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"CCthebest" wrote:
    If we had a decent QB it wouldnt matter. Can you imagine what a Brady or Farve would do facing the defenses TJ has seen? Until TJ proves he can complete a pass (to our team) we will be seeing the same D next year too. And I dont mean a 5 yard slant or screen, any QB can do that.
    Amen brother......
    Preach on.
    ;D

I am going to step out on a limb here and say that I think TJ will be significantly better next year.
    I know, shock, shock suprise, suprise.

After further consideration, compare his play last year to this years.
    Then compare his play this year to the rest of the league that has a young QB.
    Then factor in the fact that our team is pretty young all the way around in several key positions.

If (Big if mind you) he improves as much next year as he did this year then I think we won't see constant 8, 9, 10, (and yes one time) 11 men stacking the line my friends.

(How was that Uffda/EJ?
    ;D)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast