Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    fromos is offline Rookie

Washington Post Article on How Redskins Defense Stopped Vikings

Interesting article in the Washington Post today.

In it, In developing his scheme for the Vikings, Washington Redskins assistant head coach (defense) Gregg Williams unveiled a unique game plan that often included five linemen or four linebackersleaving only three defensive backs in pass coverage. The plan was among the most ambitious that Fletcher, who also played under Williams while with the Buffalo Bills, had seen in 10 seasons in the NFL. And it proved to be one of the most effective, too.

"They played the packages that allowed us to play a couple of new packages... I thought our defensive line and our linebackers and our safeties did a really good job on not giving [them] a chance to get their running game started," Williams said. "We didn't allow the space they wanted to have those great backs cut back on us, be able to juke us in the open field. We made the young quarterback have to beat us."

"All of our defense was focused on stopping the run," defensive back Leigh Torrence said. "Whatever we needed to put in, whether it was more linebackers, whatever, to stop the run, well, then that's what we did. I don't know what they were thinking, but I know what we were thinking: We needed to get [Nos.] 28 [Peterson] and 29 [Taylor] down in that backfield."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/27/AR2007122702318.html

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Washington Post Article on How Redskins Defense Stopped Vikings

I am not sure what show I watched it on but they broke it down on several plays were they even had 10 and 11 men up in the box.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Thankfully T-Jack took them to town in the passing game.......................oh wait.

Frostbite is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I am not sure what show I watched it on but they broke it down on several plays were they even had 10 and 11 men up in the box.
    ;D

and we can expect more of the same from Denver this week. Until we can have some surprises in the game plan and have them EXECUTED by the offense nothing will change.

Teams will keep playing us this way until we can beat it. Why not?? The Vikings have shown very little willingness to change direction/tactics and even when we have some success we don't come back to it enough or as often as we should.

T.Jack simply has to make some plays...the coaches need to do everything possible to help him build some early confidence and get into some rythm. Running??? Great...all well and good and we should....the key will be if it's in predictable situations defensively or not. What's wrong with the idea of trying to keep a defense guessing more??

I'd love to see us open up the play book early and often...get imaginative and aggressive on offense for this game. If T.Jack makes the big mistakes....or we turn the ball over with fumbles after the catches etc....I can at least say we TRIED SOMETHING NEW...and be satisfied that the coaches are paying attention and trying to make adjustments to the 8-9 man stacked box. I want to see Screens, Swing passes, Outside Pitches to the corners possibly with pass options, backs lined up as slot recievers, play action short passes, and slants, all mixed in with the running attack, especially early on because I know we get the same old stacked box against the run on our first offensive play.

The old saying is if ani't broke don't fix it....Even though we won a few games (Against teams with poor offensive threat) as of late I think it's fair to say that the Offense has looked broken....so let's try some changes...Please!

Cheers!

Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"fromos" wrote:
    Interesting article in the Washington Post today.

In it, In developing his scheme for the Vikings, Washington Redskins assistant head coach (defense) Gregg Williams unveiled a unique game plan that often included five linemen or four linebackersleaving only three defensive backs in pass coverage. The plan was among the most ambitious that Fletcher, who also played under Williams while with the Buffalo Bills, had seen in 10 seasons in the NFL. And it proved to be one of the most effective, too.

"They played the packages that allowed us to play a couple of new packages... I thought our defensive line and our linebackers and our safeties did a really good job on not giving [them] a chance to get their running game started," Williams said. "We didn't allow the space they wanted to have those great backs cut back on us, be able to juke us in the open field. We made the young quarterback have to beat us."

"All of our defense was focused on stopping the run," defensive back Leigh Torrence said. "Whatever we needed to put in, whether it was more linebackers, whatever, to stop the run, well, then that's what we did. I don't know what they were thinking, but I know what we were thinking: We needed to get [Nos.] 28 [Peterson] and 29 [Taylor] down in that backfield."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/27/AR2007122702318.html

Until this is rectified, we are going to have a tough time...our coaches better be prepared for the Broncos showing us the same (or similar) looks. Quick adjustments are critical.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D

and we can expect more of the same from Denver this week. Until we can have some surprises in the game plan and have them EXECUTED by the offense nothing will change.

Teams will keep playing us this way until we can beat it. Why not?? The Vikings have shown very little willingness to change direction/tactics and even when we have some success we don't come back to it enough or as often as we should.

T.Jack simply has to make some plays...the coaches need to do everything possible to help him build some early confidence and get into some rythm. Running??? Great...all well and good and we should....the key will be if it's in predictable situations defensively or not. What's wrong with the idea of trying to keep a defense guessing more??

I'd love to see us open up the play book early and often...get imaginative and aggressive on offense for this game. If T.Jack makes the big mistakes....or we turn the ball over with fumbles after the catches etc....I can at least say we TRIED SOMETHING NEW...and be satisfied that the coaches are paying attention and trying to make adjustments to the 8-9 man stacked box. I want to see Screens, Swing passes, Outside Pitches to the corners possibly with pass options, backs lined up as slot recievers, play action short passes, and slants, all mixed in with the running attack, especially early on because I know we get the same old stacked box against the run on our first offensive play.
    The old saying is if ani't broke don't fix it....Even though we won a few games (Against teams with poor offensive threat) as of late I think it's fair to say that the Offense has looked broken....so let's try some changes...Please!

Cheers!
    As always good stuff my friend and I couldn't agree more but I do have two comments.

If you look at the play calls they were pretty basic and designed to get him, the OL and our RB into the flow of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...&override=true

This should have been an easy read for him and yet he throws it to the wrong guy.

1rst Qtr
    2-8-MIN 39
    (13:15) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left intended for 89-R.Ferguson INTERCEPTED by 27-F.Smoot [57-R.Godfrey] at WAS 45. 27-F.Smoot to MIN 8 for 47 yards (40-J.Kleinsasser).

Same here.
    Should have been an easy decision.
    Might have been a bit late with the throw I think
    Again, designed to for a simple pitch/catch.
    2nd Qtr
    2-8-MIN 22
    (8:03) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass intended for 19-B.Wade INTERCEPTED by 24-S.Springs [96-C.Griffin] at MIN 34. 24-S.Springs to MIN 32 for 2 yards (19-B.Wade).

I know, I know, the OL didn't really pass protect that well, however, at that point he should have made a better decision with the ball instead of trying to make the play.

As to the second bolded area.

I agree, I would like to see that stuff as well but I want to win as well.
    If we let him start trying to do complicated passes based on complicated reads what do you think the end result will be?
    Again, sound in design on your part but I worry about the guy who would have to execute them.

To many wildcards for me to say, go ahead TJ, make us 8-8.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Luckily, Washington is one of the few teams that can leave a 3 man secondary.
    Landry has amazing speed to be able to cover the entire field from the middle.
    Other teams, specifically Denver, will not be able to use this approach to defeat our running game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D

Cheers!
    As always good stuff my friend and I couldn't agree more but I do have two comments.

If you look at the play calls they were pretty basic and designed to get him, the OL and our RB into the flow of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...&override=true

This should have been an easy read for him and yet he throws it to the wrong guy.

1rst Qtr
    2-8-MIN 39
    (13:15) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left intended for 89-R.Ferguson INTERCEPTED by 27-F.Smoot [57-R.Godfrey] at WAS 45. 27-F.Smoot to MIN 8 for 47 yards (40-J.Kleinsasser).

Same here.
    Should have been an easy decision.
    Might have been a bit late with the throw I think
    Again, designed to for a simple pitch/catch.
    2nd Qtr
    2-8-MIN 22
    (8:03) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass intended for 19-B.Wade INTERCEPTED by 24-S.Springs [96-C.Griffin] at MIN 34. 24-S.Springs to MIN 32 for 2 yards (19-B.Wade).

I know, I know, the OL didn't really pass protect that well, however, at that point he should have made a better decision with the ball instead of trying to make the play.

As to the second bolded area.

I agree, I would like to see that stuff as well but I want to win as well.
    ?
    If we let him start trying to do complicated passes based on complicated reads what do you think the end result will be Again, sound in design on your part but I worry about the guy who would have to execute them.

To many wildcards for me to say, go ahead TJ, make us 8-8.

;D

I tend to agree with some of your counter points....as I said in the post T.Jack will have to be able to make some plays...but then look at the other side of this. If he can't even execute the simple throws with touch and accurracy then it needs to be seen by everybody before the end of the season. It's time...in my humble opinion for T.Jack to fish or cut bait with regard to performance. If he flounders again it's going to be another reason he will have to work very hard in the off season and be under a lot of scrutiny in TC next year. I say let the kid try and grow up a little in this Denver game....not way out there in play calls...but enough to at least keep the defense honest. Afterall....any new QB in the NFL that hopes to go on to bigger and better things should be able to execute simple throws, short passes and pitch tosses to the backs just as well as being able to simply hand the ball off...or make a completion off of play action once out of five throws.

If the argument is that T.Jack can't perform some of the easiest tasks yet because of his lack of experience I am forced to then also wonder about his future actual ABILITY to become a TOP QB in this League. My puple colored glasses are off concerning this kid...and although I'm still not turned against him totally my patient attitude about him is wearing thin. Let's see if he can make some plays??

Cheers!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Luckily, Washington is one of the few teams that can leave a 3 man secondary.
    Landry has amazing speed to be able to cover the entire field from the middle.
    Other teams, specifically Denver, will not be able to use this approach to defeat our running game.

Hmmm....not sure Nodak?? I don't see any change in how any team defends against the run on us until we can prove we can beat it. Shanahan is no dummy....he's looked at film from several games and knows that our running game is deadly if it isn't managed correctly.

I look for almost exactly the same defensive scheem as we have seen in the last 4 games.

Cheers!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

They left alot of the field vacant, that is for sure. We need to be able to take advantage of that if we are ever going to move forward. I think the coaches will react to the criticism and have a very creative plan for the Broncos this week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast