Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PurpleAndy is offline Starter

Wait Til Next Year!

Today, the season comes to a disappointing close for the Norsemen of Minnesota. We did not meet the goals we set at the beginning of the year, and we finished on a rather sour note. However, I do not dispair this day, for good things come to those that wait.

The honeymoon with Brad Childress is over, and next year the Vikings roster will be filled with those who excel in his system. Next year we shall be stronger, faster, and wiser in all the right places. We shall cut the deadweight that is Troy Williamson and Fred Smoot, and cast them into the pits of hell, or Oakland depending on salary cap space. Our recent draft class, already successful with the play of Tavaris Jackson and Cedric Griffin, shall no longer be rookies but instead will enjoy the fruits of a successful offseason training program. We shall get back that which was taken from us, the man they call Greenway, who shall bring with him a force so mighty that even the strongest of foes shall wither and die. We shall bid farewell to that which is Favre, and watch as Green Bay flounders under the guidance of Aaron "Dude Where's The Bench" Rodgers. We shall bear witness as the Bears are torn apart in free agency as a result of their own greed. We shall laugh as Detroit retains the services of Millen, and again makes a mockery of the sport of football. We shall be infused with new blood that shall reinvigorate us. Our once proud offense will stand tall once more, as we select Dwayne Jarrett or Jeff Samardja on the eve of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Fear not my Viking brethren. The day may be sad, but our cause is righteous and we shall prevail. We shall never go quietly into the good night, for we shall once again rise up and cast off the shackles of ineptitude. Our desire is great, our cap space vast, and our owner's checkbook free flowing. Good things do indeed come to those that wait, and our time draws ever closer. To the rest of the world, we say unto you: Beware that which now lies dormant in the Metrodome. The fury of the Norsemen shall once again envelop this land, and rain upon this world the purple wrath of righteousness. Wait until September. Wait until the Vikings reload. Oh yes my friends... wait in fear and anguish...

Waith til next year.

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Wait Til Next Year!

"PurpleAndy" wrote:
    as we select Dwayne Jarrett or Jeff Samardja on the eve of the 2007 NFL Draft.
    you're allowed to select what player you want the night before the draft? nice!

How do ya like them apples?!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Yay for optimism! Haha...I'm looking forward to the offseason, I hope we put a dynamite team together and take the field as a better team next year.

Moss Apologist is offline Waterboy

I disagree.
    I'm not making any predictions as there is no telling what will happen between then and now (parody is high in the NFL and every season has a way of feeling random and unpredictable), but I don't think I've ever been less optimistic going into a new season.

We have gaping holes on the offensive side of the ball.
    If Tarvaris can't step up, which, at the moment, seems likely--he's got a ways to go--we'll have to resort to a mediocre has been QB.
    Mediocre has been QBs can work if the rest of the offense is well oiled and they only have to serve as the driver, but I don't think that is the case here.
    Horrible receivers and an overrated offensive line could keep us down for another year.

That said, I'm in a bad mood.
    I know as well as anyone else that I'll be ready and rarin' to go, silly optimism and good feelings strong as ever, on opening day 2007.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

We played so badly to day that its hard to imagine we'll be good next year. A lot of questions have to be answered.

QB?
    RG?
    RT?
    WR?
    WR?
    WR?
    TE?
    DE?
    LB?
    CB?
    FS?
    P?

I think Childress' scheme-first approach is just bad coaching. Why not use strengths such as Wiggins and TJ's mobility more often? IF the classic cover 2 scheme is not working, why not play some more man coverage or bump the receivers at the line?

During the course of the season it was obvious that the players didn't fit the scheme. Instead of changing some playcalling to play to the teams strengths, he reached down into the depth chart, deciding that raw talent in his scheme was better than experience in any scheme. IN teh end he was just flat out wrong.

Overall the only two places that Childress has excelled thus far is off-field discipline and drafting.

If he is serious about finding the right players, not the best players, the guys like Wiggins, Harris, Smoot etc. are gone. That is not a knock on those players, but they apparently just don't "fit" no matter how talented they are. I think its bullshit. The best coaches put their best players in a position where they can help the team out the most. When the receivers started dropping balls, we should have been throwing to Wiggins and Kleinsasser all day.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

We need to get some great guys in the draft. I don't know who but man we need some really good young guys. Then we just need to go to town in free agency. Go after recievers and lineman!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Wait Till Next Year"
    Ahhh, yes, the old cliché.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cc21" wrote:
    We need to get some great guys in the draft. I don't know who but man we need some really good young guys. Then we just need to go to town in free agency. Go after recievers and lineman!
    I think that our pot of gold lies in Free Agency.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    Who's projected to be available? Is there a list somewhere?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    Who's projected to be available? Is there a list somewhere?
    I have not seen a list, just have heard about FA's available.
    I think with the $$$ we have we can go after some great talent and rely on that and not so much the gamble that the draft is.
    I like the draft for depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast