Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Chances for stadium funding roll right past Vikings[/size]

Arts gets $50 million in a 2008 election that passed the team by.

By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

Last update: November 8, 2008 - 3:37 PM
    This deal pissed me off, if it was just the 50million I might be okay with it but it is 50 million a year(actually it will go up as the state grows) for the next 25 years or 1.25billion. I would have rather that money went to a stadium or better yet stayed in my pocket.
    You'll spill more beer at tailgates (at cost) than this amendment will cost you every year.

=Z=
    That's what they say every time they raise taxes, but they add up. 7% sales tax is outrageous when we already have high state income taxes, the state puts an extra tax on my gas, cigs, alcohol, cars, property etc. I have no problem supporting the arts in school but why is it neccassary to raise taxes to do it, cut the waste first. Plus I'm not sure how much of that money is going to schools, and how much is going to other for profit arts groups like the Guthrie.
    One of the big things they are throwing a ton of money at is the Magnet schools. I'm not so sure kids need to go to a school that focusses on their interests, they should go to a school that will teaching reading writing, and math.
    http://www.nws.k12.mn.us/magnet_schools/faqs.php
    Also I think this hurts the stadium plans because many will say they just had a tax hike, we can't have everything we want or taxes would become unbearable and Individuals and businesses will leave the state.
    Boy, you guys keep this up and your going to be in the same boat we are in out here.
    HALF of our state budget is for the schools.
    Half!
    That works out to $17,000.00 per student in the public system.
    I called around and the most expensive private school I could find charges $9,000.00 per student per year.
    If they can provide better education, nicer facilities, pay their teachers better then what is CA doing with all that money?
    Now you know why I support school vouchers, at least you KNOW where your taxes are going.

Not to mention that all the State Lottery monies are supposed to go to schools.
    Hasn't save us a penny in new taxes.
    Maybe you could solve your stadium problems by hijacking the lottery up there and have the proceeds go to a new stadium for two years.
    Instead of giving away $7,000,000.00 grand prize, make it life time season tickets and one luxry box.
    Might generate some revenues.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Chances for stadium funding roll right past Vikings[/size]

This deal pissed me off, if it was just the 50million I might be okay with it but it is 50 million a year(actually it will go up as the state grows) for the next 25 years or 1.25billion. I would have rather that money went to a stadium or better yet stayed in my pocket.
    You'll spill more beer at tailgates (at cost) than this amendment will cost you every year.

=Z=
    That's what they say every time they raise taxes, but they add up. 7% sales tax is outrageous when we already have high state income taxes, the state puts an extra tax on my gas, cigs, alcohol, cars, property etc. I have no problem supporting the arts in school but why is it neccassary to raise taxes to do it, cut the waste first. Plus I'm not sure how much of that money is going to schools, and how much is going to other for profit arts groups like the Guthrie.
    One of the big things they are throwing a ton of money at is the Magnet schools. I'm not so sure kids need to go to a school that focusses on their interests, they should go to a school that will teaching reading writing, and math.
    Also I think this hurts the stadium plans because many will say they just had a tax hike, we can't have everything we want or taxes would become unbearable and Individuals and businesses will leave the state.
    Boy, you guys keep this up and your going to be in the same boat we are in out here.
    Half!
    I called around and the most expensive private school I could find charges $9,000.00 per student per year.
    If they can provide better education, nicer facilities, pay their teachers better then what is CA doing with all that money?
    Now you know why I support school vouchers, at least you KNOW where your taxes are going.

Maybe you could solve your stadium problems by hijacking the lottery up there and have the proceeds go to a new stadium for two years.
    Instead of giving away $7,000,000.00 grand prize, make it life time season tickets and one luxry box.
    That would be great but if you remember, we passed the lottery bill because it was going to eliminate the state property taxes and I have been enjoying the fact that I have no property taxes for many many years.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

=Z=
    Half!

Excellent points. The schools will always want more no matter how much you give them. I would say though that one of the big differences between private and public schools is that the public schools are responsible for educating every one, including those with special needs. I had heard a while ago that 1/2 of all minnesota school funding goes to those with special needs students, which I'm ok with that because we should give extra care to those that need it most.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]A Viking referendum: Would you vote yes for this language?[/size]

minnpost.com

There's nothing quite like the rewriting of history and, in this case, the instant rewriting of alleged history....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=48760.msg862667#msg862667 date=1226231568]

=Z=
    Half!

That would be great but if you remember, we passed the lottery bill because it was going to eliminate the state property taxes andI have been enjoying the fact that I have no property taxes for many many years.
    [/quote]

Freeloader!
    I guess that's proof of the lottery being an additional tax. I'm jealous.
    Public money to fund the new stadium could be structured in a way that the government actually makes money off the deal.
    I tend to stay out of these discussions since I'm no longer a Minnesota resident. But I think they will find a way to make it happen eventually.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Public money to fund the new stadium could be structured in a way that the government actually makes money off the deal.

Just like the wall St bailout they passed last month. I can't wait to see the national debt clock start to move backwards when that windfall kicks in

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:

Just like the wall St bailout they passed last month. I can't wait to see the national debt clock start to move backwards when that windfall kicks in
    If you are counting on those mortages being paid off with interest, think again. Even though they said they were going to buy up bad mortages, it isn't what's happening to the money. Paulson admitted it today.
    The money is simply being used to bailout the banks.
    http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2008/11/14/hank_paulson,_naked_emperor?page=full
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112