Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 117
  1. #101
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Chances for stadium funding roll right past Vikings[/size]

    Arts gets $50 million in a 2008 election that passed the team by.

    By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

    Last update: November 8, 2008 - 3:37 PM


    This deal pissed me off, if it was just the 50million I might be okay with it but it is 50 million a year(actually it will go up as the state grows) for the next 25 years or 1.25billion. I would have rather that money went to a stadium or better yet stayed in my pocket.
    What!?
    You'd honestly rather see a brand new state of the art Vikings stadium built for half the cost than it would take to funnel the money into likely corrupt special interest groups?

    Yet another typical stupid Minnesotan.
    :


  2. #102
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Lot's of questions, I was just trying to be a smart jiggly butt not start a debate, but I'll try to answer.
    Marrdro likes the MN vikings as much as anybody. If they leave they will likely no longer be the vikings so I would think he has an interest too.
    People who benefit from the the vikings should support them, through ticket sales ad revenues, merchandise, but not through additional taxes IMHO. I would not vote to for a tax increase to keep them here, that's not the governments job. If they raise taxes I along with everyone else will pay for it, but I still wont agree with it. I would support increased ticket prices and or seat licensing fees, additional costs for merchandise, more commercials during vikings games, whatever they have to do to raise the money they claim to need without raising taxes.
    LOL.
    Suuuure you weren't trying to start a debate...

    Anyway, you left out one important entity that greatly benefits from having the Vikings in state.
    The communities.
    The city of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, the Twin Cities Metro Area, and the state of Minnesota all see tangible and intangible benefits from the Minnesota Vikings.
    Because they benefit, they too should make a contribution to keeping them.
    How much of a contribution can be up for debate, but there should be one nonetheless.

    BTW, some of the things you listed are not in the Vikings control nor do they benefit them, such as commercials during the games and merchandise costs.
    The television stations own the commercial rights, and the networks purchase the games from the NFL - not the Vikings.
    And merchandise sales are licensed through the NFL who again have control over the prices, not the Vikes.

    I do agree that the majority of the financing should come from the team's revenue.
    PSLs, ticket revenue, and naming rights should be able to pay for more than half of the stadium IMHO.
    But there will be some additional funds needed, and I believe the communities who will benefit should contribute as well.
    Sure Minnesota benefits from the Vikings but the Vikings have also benefitted from the state. Just like any business there is a balance there. I don't think either owes the other anything. Minnesota has greatly helped the vikings. In 1998 the Vikings were sold for 250million, in 2007 Forbes valued the team at 850million. I just don't see how the vikings can be complaining. Minnesotans have spent many hundreds of millions on tickets and merchandise over the years.
    The vikings are part of the NFL and do benefit/recieve revenue from advertising, nfl network, merchandising etc. Wilf owns 1/32 of the NFL.
    If tax revenue is going to be used they should tax things that are most directly related to the Vikings. Bars in the area of a new stadium. You could charge an additional 5% tax on all NFL merchandise sold in MN. A tax on cable services that include NFL network a tax on bars that showed vikings games. To me though they should leave the government out of it and raise the money themselves, just like I would do if I wanted to invest in the MN economy.
    Those are very good points.

    In every community there are businesses that provide tangible and intangible value to the communities they are based in. They bring in customers, employ citizens and generate traffic that may not be there if not for their existence. I see it all of the time in every community I visit. But does that mean the state should support them by helping to finance their facilities?

    We are already in a heck of a mess bailing out the financial system and the insurance and auto industries are next in line. I suppose we can also pass a bill to build a Nascar, Baseball, Hockey and Football stadium in every city in the country that wants them as a part of an economic stimulus package but I don't think it would be beneficial to the citizens in the end.

    What we really need is reduced government regulations, lower government spending and more private money in this economy, not the other way around.

  3. #103
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "V4L" wrote:
    Arts? WTF!
    I gladly voted for that amendment.
    It is a CRIME that art and music programs are stripped from schools in favor of sports.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #104
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Chances for stadium funding roll right past Vikings[/size]

    Arts gets $50 million in a 2008 election that passed the team by.

    By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

    Last update: November 8, 2008 - 3:37 PM
    This deal pissed me off, if it was just the 50million I might be okay with it but it is 50 million a year(actually it will go up as the state grows) for the next 25 years or 1.25billion. I would have rather that money went to a stadium or better yet stayed in my pocket.
    You'll spill more beer at tailgates (at cost) than this amendment will cost you every year.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #105
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Arts? WTF!
    I gladly voted for that amendment.
    It is a CRIME that art and music programs are stripped from schools in favor of sports.

    =Z=
    Word.
    -Sno

  6. #106
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Chances for stadium funding roll right past Vikings[/size]

    Arts gets $50 million in a 2008 election that passed the team by.

    By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

    Last update: November 8, 2008 - 3:37 PM
    This deal pissed me off, if it was just the 50million I might be okay with it but it is 50 million a year(actually it will go up as the state grows) for the next 25 years or 1.25billion. I would have rather that money went to a stadium or better yet stayed in my pocket.
    You'll spill more beer at tailgates (at cost) than this amendment will cost you every year.

    =Z=
    +1
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #107
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Lot's of questions, I was just trying to be a smart jiggly butt not start a debate, but I'll try to answer.
    Marrdro likes the MN vikings as much as anybody. If they leave they will likely no longer be the vikings so I would think he has an interest too.
    People who benefit from the the vikings should support them, through ticket sales ad revenues, merchandise, but not through additional taxes IMHO. I would not vote to for a tax increase to keep them here, that's not the governments job. If they raise taxes I along with everyone else will pay for it, but I still wont agree with it. I would support increased ticket prices and or seat licensing fees, additional costs for merchandise, more commercials during vikings games, whatever they have to do to raise the money they claim to need without raising taxes.
    LOL.
    Suuuure you weren't trying to start a debate...

    Anyway, you left out one important entity that greatly benefits from having the Vikings in state.
    The communities.
    The city of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, the Twin Cities Metro Area, and the state of Minnesota all see tangible and intangible benefits from the Minnesota Vikings.
    Because they benefit, they too should make a contribution to keeping them.
    How much of a contribution can be up for debate, but there should be one nonetheless.

    BTW, some of the things you listed are not in the Vikings control nor do they benefit them, such as commercials during the games and merchandise costs.
    The television stations own the commercial rights, and the networks purchase the games from the NFL - not the Vikings.
    And merchandise sales are licensed through the NFL who again have control over the prices, not the Vikes.

    I do agree that the majority of the financing should come from the team's revenue.
    PSLs, ticket revenue, and naming rights should be able to pay for more than half of the stadium IMHO.
    But there will be some additional funds needed, and I believe the communities who will benefit should contribute as well.
    Sure Minnesota benefits from the Vikings but the Vikings have also benefitted from the state. Just like any business there is a balance there. I don't think either owes the other anything. Minnesota has greatly helped the vikings. In 1998 the Vikings were sold for 250million, in 2007 Forbes valued the team at 850million. I just don't see how the vikings can be complaining. Minnesotans have spent many hundreds of millions on tickets and merchandise over the years.
    The vikings are part of the NFL and do benefit/recieve revenue from advertising, nfl network, merchandising etc. Wilf owns 1/32 of the NFL.
    If tax revenue is going to be used they should tax things that are most directly related to the Vikings. Bars in the area of a new stadium. You could charge an additional 5% tax on all NFL merchandise sold in MN. A tax on cable services that include NFL network a tax on bars that showed vikings games. To me though they should leave the government out of it and raise the money themselves, just like I would do if I wanted to invest in the MN economy.
    I am not sure that taxes like that would ever raise enough money.
    Nor am I convinced that it would fly in the legislature.
    A selective tax on all things NFL would do more to run the NFL out of town than a lack of a new stadium would.
    Plus there would be some issues with the state ONLY taxing the Vikings, and not any of the other professional sports teams in the area.

    Instead I would support some kind of recreation tax for businesses in the immediate area, as well as a small Hennepin County or Metro Area Sales tax.
    Preferably a metro tax because it would be spread out over a much greater population, to the point that there would not be a noticeable difference to the consumer.
    This way, the community that benefits the most from the Vikings (the immediate area) pays the most for it, and the community that still sees some residual benefit (the metro area) contributes as well.
    Obviously the Vikings benefit the most, so they should also pay the most.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #108
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Arts? WTF!
    I gladly voted for that amendment.
    It is a CRIME that art and music programs are stripped from schools in favor of sports.

    =Z=
    Word.
    Double Word.

  9. #109
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,275

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Chances for stadium funding roll right past Vikings[/size]

    Arts gets $50 million in a 2008 election that passed the team by.

    By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

    Last update: November 8, 2008 - 3:37 PM
    This deal pissed me off, if it was just the 50million I might be okay with it but it is 50 million a year(actually it will go up as the state grows) for the next 25 years or 1.25billion. I would have rather that money went to a stadium or better yet stayed in my pocket.
    You'll spill more beer at tailgates (at cost) than this amendment will cost you every year.

    =Z=
    That's what they say every time they raise taxes, but they add up. 7% sales tax is outrageous when we already have high state income taxes, the state puts an extra tax on my gas, cigs, alcohol, cars, property etc. I have no problem supporting the arts in school but why is it neccassary to raise taxes to do it, cut the waste first. Plus I'm not sure how much of that money is going to schools, and how much is going to other for profit arts groups like the Guthrie.
    One of the big things they are throwing a ton of money at is the Magnet schools. I'm not so sure kids need to go to a school that focusses on their interests, they should go to a school that will teaching reading writing, and math.
    http://www.nws.k12.mn.us/magnet_schools/faqs.php
    Also I think this hurts the stadium plans because many will say they just had a tax hike, we can't have everything we want or taxes would become unbearable and Individuals and businesses will leave the state.

  10. #110
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,275

    Re: Wait for funding could force Vikes out of Minnesota

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Lot's of questions, I was just trying to be a smart jiggly butt not start a debate, but I'll try to answer.
    Marrdro likes the MN vikings as much as anybody. If they leave they will likely no longer be the vikings so I would think he has an interest too.
    People who benefit from the the vikings should support them, through ticket sales ad revenues, merchandise, but not through additional taxes IMHO. I would not vote to for a tax increase to keep them here, that's not the governments job. If they raise taxes I along with everyone else will pay for it, but I still wont agree with it. I would support increased ticket prices and or seat licensing fees, additional costs for merchandise, more commercials during vikings games, whatever they have to do to raise the money they claim to need without raising taxes.
    LOL.
    Suuuure you weren't trying to start a debate...

    Anyway, you left out one important entity that greatly benefits from having the Vikings in state.
    The communities.
    The city of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, the Twin Cities Metro Area, and the state of Minnesota all see tangible and intangible benefits from the Minnesota Vikings.
    Because they benefit, they too should make a contribution to keeping them.
    How much of a contribution can be up for debate, but there should be one nonetheless.

    BTW, some of the things you listed are not in the Vikings control nor do they benefit them, such as commercials during the games and merchandise costs.
    The television stations own the commercial rights, and the networks purchase the games from the NFL - not the Vikings.
    And merchandise sales are licensed through the NFL who again have control over the prices, not the Vikes.

    I do agree that the majority of the financing should come from the team's revenue.
    PSLs, ticket revenue, and naming rights should be able to pay for more than half of the stadium IMHO.
    But there will be some additional funds needed, and I believe the communities who will benefit should contribute as well.
    Sure Minnesota benefits from the Vikings but the Vikings have also benefitted from the state. Just like any business there is a balance there. I don't think either owes the other anything. Minnesota has greatly helped the vikings. In 1998 the Vikings were sold for 250million, in 2007 Forbes valued the team at 850million. I just don't see how the vikings can be complaining. Minnesotans have spent many hundreds of millions on tickets and merchandise over the years.
    The vikings are part of the NFL and do benefit/recieve revenue from advertising, nfl network, merchandising etc. Wilf owns 1/32 of the NFL.
    If tax revenue is going to be used they should tax things that are most directly related to the Vikings. Bars in the area of a new stadium. You could charge an additional 5% tax on all NFL merchandise sold in MN. A tax on cable services that include NFL network a tax on bars that showed vikings games. To me though they should leave the government out of it and raise the money themselves, just like I would do if I wanted to invest in the MN economy.
    I am not sure that taxes like that would ever raise enough money.
    Nor am I convinced that it would fly in the legislature.
    A selective tax on all things NFL would do more to run the NFL out of town than a lack of a new stadium would.
    Plus there would be some issues with the state ONLY taxing the Vikings, and not any of the other professional sports teams in the area.

    Instead I would support some kind of recreation tax for businesses in the immediate area, as well as a small Hennepin County or Metro Area Sales tax.
    Preferably a metro tax because it would be spread out over a much greater population, to the point that there would not be a noticeable difference to the consumer.
    This way, the community that benefits the most from the Vikings (the immediate area) pays the most for it, and the community that still sees some residual benefit (the metro area) contributes as well.
    Obviously the Vikings benefit the most, so they should also pay the most.
    I don't see why a selective tax on the NFL would cause Wilf to move the team, that would not directly impact their bottom line(maybe fewer people would buy jerseys but that money goes into shared revenue anyway). There are many in the metro area that will not see any benefits from a new stadium only higher taxes. It is scam on those that choose not to subsidize the greedy entity known as the NFL. I think those that most benefit from a new stadium are the NFL owners, Vikings owner, nfl players union, nearby hotels and bars.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rep Tom Hackbarth releases stadium funding plan.
    By Purple Floyd in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM
  3. 2008 stadium funding
    By Purple Floyd in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 11:30 PM
  4. Vikings: It's 4th down for stadium funding
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 09:14 PM
  5. McDaniel, Randle & Birk to help rec center funding
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 03:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •