Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wager

GBMiah is offline Rookie

The Wager

"hovan" wrote:
    Favre the greatest?

How many times did he throw 40 or more touchdowns?? :scratch: Never?? :shock:
    Are you serious? the most Montana ever threw was 31. Most Elway ever threw was 27.
    Inhale it. Savor it. Drink with your eyes and taste with every fiber of your flesh, revelations come through experience.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

The Wager

"GBMiah" wrote:
    "hovan" wrote:
    Favre the greatest?

How many times did he throw 40 or more touchdowns?? :scratch: Never?? :shock:
    Are you serious? the most Montana ever threw was 31. Most Elway ever threw was 27.

And you still can't answer the question can you Packer Backer. Thats ok, because by this time next week you'll be hiding and burning your Favre posters.

PREPARE TO BE PUNKED IN YOUR OWN CRIB!!!
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

The Wager

Out of curiosity, I placved Favre's and Montana's stats side by side and averaged them out. Here's what I found

On AVERAGE:

Pass Attempts:
    Montana = 384
    Favre = 538

Pass Completions:
    Montana = 242
    Favre = 331

Completion %:
    Montana = 62.8
    Favre = 61.6

Pass Yards:
    Montana = 2888
    Favre = 3826

Touchdowns:
    Montana = 19
    Favre = 29

Interceptions:
    Montana = 9.9
    Favre = 17

Rating:
    Montana = 91.23
    Favre = 87.62

Montana played in EIGHT Conference Championship games - winning 4 of them, and won the 4 Superbowls he appeared in.

Favre has played in TWO Conference Championship games, winning both but splitting the Superbowls.

Statistically, Favre is the more prolific passer. What ISN'T measured are the intangibles...and Montana was the guy you wanted under center game in and game out. He was always calm, and always in the game...regardless of the score.

His poise and calmness are reflected in his low INT numbers and his high completion percentage and QB ratings.

Man for man, I'll take Montana.

Caine

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

The Wager

PLease note, the above stats are REGULAR SEASON ONLY.

Caine

GBMiah is offline Rookie

The Wager

"Caine" wrote:
    Out of curiosity, I placved Favre's and Montana's stats side by side and averaged them out. Here's what I found

On AVERAGE:

Pass Attempts:
    Montana = 384
    Favre = 538

Pass Completions:
    Montana = 242
    Favre = 331

Completion %:
    Montana = 62.8
    Favre = 61.6

Pass Yards:
    Montana = 2888
    Favre = 3826

Touchdowns:
    Montana = 19
    Favre = 29

Interceptions:
    Montana = 9.9
    Favre = 17

Rating:
    Montana = 91.23
    Favre = 87.62

Montana played in EIGHT Conference Championship games - winning 4 of them, and won the 4 Superbowls he appeared in.

Favre has played in TWO Conference Championship games, winning both but splitting the Superbowls.

Statistically, Favre is the more prolific passer. What ISN'T measured are the intangibles...and Montana was the guy you wanted under center game in and game out. He was always calm, and always in the game...regardless of the score.

His poise and calmness are reflected in his low INT numbers and his high completion percentage and QB ratings.

Man for man, I'll take Montana.

Caine
    Very good points and comparison, yet the intangibles that favor Favre are missing. The second most fourth quarter comebacks in league history, 39 to Elways 47 (Favre is in year 14, Elway played 16)

Montana only completed 4, 16 game seasons during his 16 year career, played only 9 games in 82, 8 games in 86, missed the entire 91 season and played only one game in 92. Durability is something that is often overlooked in this game but is something that is just as important as any other stat. The good thing is that this streak Favre has is making people realize this.

Also keep in mind that Montana enjoyed the stellar benefits of being the QB that ran the offensive juggernaut that was the West Coast offense in its hey day, A high percentage yardage churning system that was, by the the time Favre came to play, still around but much less ineffective version due to defenses finally adapting. Not to take anything away from Montana. Montana's interceptions, or lack thereof are very impressive indeed, but also helped by the short, fast slant route style of the West coast offense in its heydey. Where as Favre has always been more of a gunslinger, often going downfield and forcing things at times. Thats just his style and unfortunately it makes for a bit more INT's. It really is a great debate, we could no doubt point/counterpoint each other all night.
    Inhale it. Savor it. Drink with your eyes and taste with every fiber of your flesh, revelations come through experience.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

The Wager

The thing I see there... is 4 superbowls.... you pack fans... well mainly packman say that Daunte isn't a winning QB...which I say is utter BS... how many years was Favre in the league before he won his ONE count them ONE... (NOT FOUR just in case you were missing my point) superbowl??

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

The Wager

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    "JohnnyBlood92" wrote:
    Montana had a powerhouse D his entire career and one of the most underrated RBs in NFL history: Roger Craig. A great QB, yes, but put him on the same Packers teams as Favre and he wouldn't have nearly as much success.
    During Favre's MVP seasons their defense was just as good! Stop making excuses for Favre only winning one superbowl! Don't forget they were the favorites against Denver and choked!
    The 49ers defense did not gel until late in the 80's, many years after Montana was slinging and winning.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

GBMiah is offline Rookie

The Wager

Im must say that I always disagreed with using Superbowl Victories or loses when judging a player. remember Thurman Thomas? most people have to be reminded that he is perhaps the most versatile back field player there ever was. He alone made the combined yards from scrimmage state a followed one. League MVP, perennial Pro-bowler and ALL-Pro, how many 2000+ yds from scrimmage seasons did he have? yet you hardly ever hear of him because of the 4 lost SB's.

Same thing the other way. The stat of SB wins shouldnt be factored when choosing your all time best QB. Why is Marino not considered the best QB ever? When analysts talk about him they say he's the best "Pure Passer" ever which means he's not the best ever because he didnt win any Superbowls. Hogwash I think. Its also why I thing Tom Brady is a tad overrated. Did he really deserve that last SB MVP? Statisticaly he had a solid day. But what about the New England reciever who had 11 catches for like 179yds and some TD's..

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

The Wager

I have not read all of the post...But did a packer fan try to compare Montana to Favre...Montana would school your lover boy...

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

GBMiah is offline Rookie

The Wager

"Vikestand" wrote:
    I have not read all of the post...But did a packer fan try to compare Montana to Favre...Montana would school your lover boy...
    Wow, a biased Vikes Fan said this? Odd... I dont feel surprised. But its kind of funny, several months ago a loyal Vike fan started a thread trying to explain why Culpepper was the MVP and best QB this year over Manning, to which many other purplepride.org board enthusiasts (prolly Vikestand among them) agreed.

Something else thats interesting, Id place Unitas and Otto Graham above Montana too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast