Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VU Article #2

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

VU Article #2

Kleinsasser To Key Running Game
    By Scout.com
    Date: Jun 28, 2005

The return to health of Michael Bennett, Matt Birk and Mike Rosenthal might all be secondary in the success of the running game. Tight end Jim Kleinsasser’s comeback from injury could be the biggest factor, according to Vikings coaches.

When discussing the potential success or failure of the running game this season, some Vikings coaches are as focused on the return of tight end Jim Kleinsasser from knee surgery as they are on who wins the battle for the featured back position.

“I never worry about who (running backs coach Dean Dalton) has in at running back because they all bring certain talents,� said Steve Loney, offensive coordinator and line coach. “Having Jimmy back is going to be tremendous for us in the running game. He’s a real positive there.�

Kleinsasser tore an ACL in his right knee during last year’s season-opening victory over the Dallas Cowboys. The season-ending injury left the Vikings’ running game weak at the point of attack, often forcing them to abandon the running game altogether.

Without the 6-3, 272-pound Kleinsasser leading the way on the perimeter or from the backfield in his H-back position, the Vikings’ leading rusher, Onterrio Smith, gained only 544 yards. The stress on the running game was only compounded by lingering injuries to running back Michael Bennett and center Matt Birk.

Bennett is healthy again and is the frontrunner in the race for the No. 1 running back job. Birk, however, is coming off hip surgery and three hernia operations since the start of last season. He is expected to miss most if not all of training camp and the preseason.

Kleinsasser on the other hand appears set for the start of training camp. His rehab went well and his increased confidence in the knee was evident during the team’s mini-camp and developmental camps.

“I still have to wait until training camp to see how the knee going to react when I get banged around,� Kleinsasser said. “That will be the true test.�

But so far, so good, coach Mike Tice said.

“Everybody is just tickled pink that we’re able to have an outside running game again,� Tice said. “Last year, we had to manufacture some things because when you lose Jimmy, you lose that outside running threat. We’re an outside run team. That was a part of our offense that was really missing without Jimmy.�

NOTE

* The Vikings’ passing game will be much more disciplined without the free-wheeling Randy Moss streaking down the field. QB Daunte Culpepper will throw to designated spots on timing routes more often than he has. Offensive coordinator Steve Loney said the passing game won’t be complex. He prefers to do a limited number of things well rather than a lot of things not so well. “My background has been to take a few things that we do well and try to run them from a lot of different (formations and motion),� Loney said.

Sorry for having to post the full article, but figured everyone would want to read this.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: VU Article #2

Sounds to me the O is sitting really nice,

If MB and K can stay healthy thruout the season, I can't even imagine, how good our O will be this year....

I also believe, our recievers corps, are going to suprise alot of people this year.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet Guest

I agree with the article. Kleinsasser was a huge loss last year.

The Vikes have had a top-tier offense for years. That shouldn't change. I'm looking forward to the defense this year. If the Vikes have a middle of the road D or better they will be a force for the title.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Offensive coordinator Steve Loney said the passing game won’t be complex. He prefers to do a limited number of things well rather than a lot of things not so well. “My background has been to take a few things that we do well and try to run them from a lot of different (formations and motion),� Loney said.
    While I know Linehan (sp?) had mixed fan fare, Loney seems to be an unknown, at least to me. That he is pursuing a simple, and likely predictable, offense seems cause for concern. Maybe our players will just be athletic enough and our team coordinated enough that simplicity will still get us scores and wins. Nevertheless, I still think of Loney as a giant question mark.

Can anyone talk me down from my pessimism?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

They hit the nail on the head...Jimmy K is the catalyst for our power running game...all we need to do is look at the stats and see. Here's to Jimmy K in the Pro Bowl next year...as a Super Bowl champion player!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    Offensive coordinator Steve Loney said the passing game won’t be complex. He prefers to do a limited number of things well rather than a lot of things not so well. “My background has been to take a few things that we do well and try to run them from a lot of different (formations and motion),� Loney said.
    While I know Linehan (sp?) had mixed fan fare, Loney seems to be an unknown, at least to me. That he is pursuing a simple, and likely predictable, offense seems cause for concern. Maybe our players will just be athletic enough and our team coordinated enough that simplicity will still get us scores and wins. Nevertheless, I still think of Loney as a giant question mark.

Can anyone talk me down from my pessimism?
    I'm sorry I can't talk you down from pessimism at all. I think our coaching situation is by far the worst in the nfl.

To stay on topic though, the return of Jimmy K is obivously big. I don't think other teams or fans realize that. He will see a ton of playing time because he can catch out of the backfield too. Him and Wiggins mean a whole lot of two TE sets. I'm hoping more than 50% of our offensive snaps have both of them on the field. I don't care if its 3rd and 20, I would still want Jimmy on the field rather than Travis Taylor or Marcus Robinson.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

everytime it was 3rd and long i would think kimmy,jermaine or moe rather than moss and any other receivers all i wanted moss to do was take the D downfield as a decoy

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

there are a couple VU articles of interest today...

the sharper one and the james one...

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

hey smootpep... mind posting those??

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

With Jimmy and Rosenthal back I don't see why we couldnt be in the atleast the top 10 for rushing this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast