Thread: VU Article.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

VU Article.

By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jun 28, 2005

The Vikings have several players who may be at a crossroads this year -- being given the chance to play now or forever hold their peace.

Since the Mike Tice era has been installed in Minnesota, there has been a lot of talk about how successful the drafts have gone on their watch. From having a multi-layered system for evaluating talent to getting players later than their own board would indicate, the Vikings have been proud of their draft achievements.

Yet, the Vikings have several players who find themselves at a crossroads this season -- not sure if their future is bright or one that may need to play out with someone else. The list is rather impressive.

* E.J. Henderson -- Many believe he can still be the answer. But, after being given the job following the retirement of Greg Biekert, he hasn't held it. That's why Sam Cowart is wearing purple.

* Dontarrious Thomas -- A hot and cold player, Thomas has never seemed fully comfortable in his position.

* Raonall Smith -- He seems to get injured climbing off the team bus.

* Kenechi Udeze -- He was benched late last year and must prove he can be an every-down NFL DE.

* Michael Bennett -- Injuries have shortened all but one season. As an unrestricted free agent after this year, millions are on the line this year.

All five of these players may well be contributors to the Vikings success this season. But, if they don't answer the questions positively, it could be the last year for several of them

Del Rio Guest

Re: VU Article.

I wouldn't mind EJ playing in DT's spot and him focusing on special teams for now.

Also Udeze is a big question mark. He struggled all last year, but hopefully he will be more comfortable. The mistakes he was making were pretty basic. Stuff he probably knows by heart. I have a feeling he will be a lot better this year.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Udeze will be betterthis year I believe. His rookie stats were better then Strahan, Kearney and alot of other top notch DE's.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

smootpepper I like the four norsemen pic by the way.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Udeze was HURT all of last year...after ONLY one year, he does not belong on any "crossroads" list...plus, even playing hurt he was pretty effective. This year, he WILL be on.

Bennett and Smith both have had injury problems that are not entirely their fault...granted, the fact that they are not available affects us, but it is not like they don't want to be out there. In Bennett's case, his injuries were kind of flukey, but I think that he will break out this year (anybody remember Robert Smith)...as for Raonall, concussions can be a tricky thing...look at Steve Young...he was still playing at a high level, but had to leave the game while he still had his wits about him...Raonall has the talent, he just needs to find a way to avoid future concussions.

I will agree that both E.J. and Dontarrious ARE at the crossroads...but I don't think that they have to break out THIS season...I look for them to improve this year, but break out NEXT season.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I agree Cajun with Udeze he was just a rookie last year and he was hurt you need to give him more time than one year because that is not realistic. Also with D.T. the same issue kind of applies because he is just a 2nd year pro and needs time to develop.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I will agree that both E.J. and Dontarrious ARE at the crossroads...but I don't think that they have to break out THIS season...I look for them to improve this year, but break out NEXT season.
    I think it is a little soon to say they are at a crossroads, especially DT, he was a rookie last year. For him and Udeze, the put up or shut up talk about those two seems premature. They need some time to grow and learn the system.

HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

DarrinNelsonguy you beat me to it