Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100254
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100253
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100251
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100250
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100246
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100243
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100239
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100237

All of them, IMHO are above some of the cats on that list.
    Three guesses to get one of the "cats" he's talking about!!

Cris Carter I'm assuming
    Another prime example of you not having a clue about my opinions....:P

Look, WR's are cool. They make eye popping plays, but there is alot more players out there that make just as big an impact. For me, I value those cats more than I do a WR who might touch the ball 3 - 5 times a game.
    Not having a clue?

hit the quote button on my post to see my hidden text, I know exactly who you are thinking of when you said that. I'm not challenging it, I'm simply stating it.

Ps. Carter averaged 5.3 catches a game with us, and only twice has he averaged under 4.5 catches per game :P Not arguing anything, just sayin'
    I saw it when I replied, or didn't you know that when you hit the quote button the small font shows up. :P

Truth of the matter is, when I was making my post I thought that a certain QB being left off my list would have drawn a bit more feedback than a WR who actually touched the ball .3 more times than I guessed at.:P
    Ah, but how many times does Page or McDaniel touch the ball?

You can't say that a great receiver doesn't impact the game even when he's not catching the ball.
    It isn't about touching the ball my friend. Its about doing there job so that the guys who touch the ball can either do (McDaniel) or can't do (Page) their job.

You know what, if I had one "Silly Wish" (I have a better serious one) that I could get granted, it would be for every football fan to get a copy of this book.

Edit....Ok, its Kirwans book, Taking your eye off the ball, How to watch the football by knowing were to look. Couldn't get an image to work.

Even for a guy like me, who thought he didn't watch the game by following the football, it was an eye opener.

Mix this in with the broadening of camera angles to include OL and DL play and I would say that my level of knowledge of the game went up 30% last year.

Now I'm trying to see finer points of the game (i.e. did the G gets his hat on the left shoulder were its supposed to be) instead just looking to see if a guy stayed blocked.

In short, I don't care about touching the ball. I care about the play around the guy touching the ball. Its actually more important.
    I get the point you're trying to make, but unlike you, I watch the game because I like to watch football games.

I don't make game notes or drive charts or whatever, because quite frankly I don't care enough. I'd rather just sit, have a few brews and watch the game and have fun.

Now, that's not to say I only watch the ball, I try and get a view of the whole field and see what's going on, see the coverages, routes, where a play is headed, etc.
    I just watch the cheerleaders when I'm not too busy swilling beer and eating brats.
    The rest of the week I come here and make shat up!

Football is a great team sport. Warms my heart to see 3 defensive linemen in the running for the greatest Viking, even if they don't know what position they played.

I tip my hat to those greats such as Eller, Foreman, Browner, as well as others who have remained involved with the Vikings over the years.

Tarkenton, and Page, not so much.

I agree with Uffda, McDaniel was the most freakishly gifted Vikings player.

But I can't vote for a single player in a team sport.

So I will also give my vote to Bud as the greatest Viking.
    Bud Grant or Budweiser?

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vote for the Greatest Viking - FOX

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1100257
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100255

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Look, WR's are cool. They make eye popping plays, but there is alot more players out there that make just as big an impact. For me, I value those cats more than I do a WR who might touch the ball 3 - 5 times a game.
    Not having a clue?

hit the quote button on my post to see my hidden text, I know exactly who you are thinking of when you said that. I'm not challenging it, I'm simply stating it.

Ps. Carter averaged 5.3 catches a game with us, and only twice has he averaged under 4.5 catches per game :P Not arguing anything, just sayin'
    I saw it when I replied, or didn't you know that when you hit the quote button the small font shows up. :P

Truth of the matter is, when I was making my post I thought that a certain QB being left off my list would have drawn a bit more feedback than a WR who actually touched the ball .3 more times than I guessed at.:P

You can't say that a great receiver doesn't impact the game even when he's not catching the ball.
    It isn't about touching the ball my friend. Its about doing there job so that the guys who touch the ball can either do (McDaniel) or can't do (Page) their job.

You know what, if I had one "Silly Wish" (I have a better serious one) that I could get granted, it would be for every football fan to get a copy of this book.

Edit....Ok, its Kirwans book, Taking your eye off the ball, How to watch the football by knowing were to look. Couldn't get an image to work.

Even for a guy like me, who thought he didn't watch the game by following the football, it was an eye opener.

Mix this in with the broadening of camera angles to include OL and DL play and I would say that my level of knowledge of the game went up 30% last year.

Now I'm trying to see finer points of the game (i.e. did the G gets his hat on the left shoulder were its supposed to be) instead just looking to see if a guy stayed blocked.

In short, I don't care about touching the ball. I care about the play around the guy touching the ball. Its actually more important.
    I get the point you're trying to make, but unlike you, I watch the game because I like to watch football games.

I don't make game notes or drive charts or whatever, because quite frankly I don't care enough. I'd rather just sit, have a few brews and watch the game and have fun.

Now, that's not to say I only watch the ball, I try and get a view of the whole field and see what's going on, see the coverages, routes, where a play is headed, etc.
    I just watch the cheerleaders when I'm not too busy swilling beer and eating brats.

Football is a great team sport. Warms my heart to see 3 defensive linemen in the running for the greatest Viking, even if they don't know what position they played.

I tip my hat to those greats such as Eller, Foreman, Browner, as well as others who have remained involved with the Vikings over the years.

Bud Grant or Budweiser?
    Oh, so you are going to make me choose.

In addition I would say the greatest Viking would not only be the best on the team but also the best in the NFL.

To go beyond that, there is only one Viking player so far, that looks like he may have been the best at his position to ever play the game.

Bud has clouded my recollection of Bud so I stand pat and choose Bud.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100258

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

Bud Grant or Budweiser?

In addition I would say the greatest Viking would not only be the best on the team but also the best in the NFL.

To go beyond that, there is only one Viking player so far, that looks like he may have been the best at his position to ever play the game.

Whilst writing for our student newspaper in college, I met Bud whilst having a Bud, and wrote a story about Bud, the man. Whereas Bud often clouded my judgement, for that 20 minutes, I was clear, and in awe...this man could have been my Dad, my fishing guide, my hunting guide, my coach, my uncle, name it. He is, was, and always will be, the greatest Viking.

Nicely done Jargo, nicely done.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1100269

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

Bud Grant or Budweiser?

Whilst writing for our student newspaper in college, I met Bud whilst having a Bud, and wrote a story about Bud, the man. Whereas Bud often clouded my judgement, for that 20 minutes, I was clear, and in awe...this man could have been my Dad, my fishing guide, my hunting guide, my coach, my uncle, name it. He is, was, and always will be, the greatest Viking.

Thank you sir. While contemplating these great historic Viking figures I wondered who here qualified to say they saw them play. You came directly to mind as did a couple others.

Passing judgement on something you didn't experience takes a great deal of faith.

Dismissing the old is easy. Honoring them is, to some degree, spiritual.

Take it on faith, those old guys built a foundation of respect the Vikings haven't seen for years.

I believe those days will come again.

And Bud Grant will always be a God to us who were fortunate enough to see his magic.

I know. No superbowl. But it shall come.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

Bud Grant or Budweiser?
    Or Mary Jane Bud

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

Are you saying I don't have fun when I watch a game?

What I do is no different than the average baseball fan who charts a game so that he can see what trends/strategies the other team is using.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100270
    Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1100269

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

Bud Grant or Budweiser?

Thank you sir. While contemplating these great historic Viking figures I wondered who here qualified to say they saw them play. You came directly to mind as did a couple others.

Passing judgement on something you didn't experience takes a great deal of faith.

Dismissing the old is easy. Honoring them is, to some degree, spiritual.

Take it on faith, those old guys built a foundation of respect the Vikings haven't seen for years.

I believe those days will come again.

And Bud Grant will always be a God to us who were fortunate enough to see his magic.

I know. No superbowl. But it shall come.
    Getting pretty close to "Waxing Poetic" on us my friend. You been in the Wine?

Regardless. Great stuff, especially this little nugget.

Usually why I stay out of "Probowls" "HOF's""Top Ten" discussions.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100279

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

Are you saying I don't have fun when I watch a game?

What I do is no different than the average baseball fan who charts a game so that he can see what trends/strategies the other team is using.
    I'm fairly certain the "average" baseball fan doesn't chart games.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Cris Carter I'm assuming

Not having a clue?

+1
    Purple till i die

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Jan Stenerud?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast