Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
    Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Visanthe Shiancoe

Being a UK fan we don't get to see the Vikes play on TV that often but I am curious as to why Shiancoe is considered such a bad player with most of the critisiscm coming from the game this weekend.

I honestly didn't think that pass was all that catchable, admittedly I have never played the game at any level and I am willing to bow to those with a much greater knowledge of the game than me (if you want to talk rugby I'll reciprocate).

I think a lot of decent WRs would have struggled to catch that ball.

Appreciate comments
    Purple till i die

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Visanthe Shiancoe

You are right! It was a tough catch, but the big problem is that it's far from the first time he dropped an important catch. He seems to buckle under great pressure and everytime we need him the most he bails on us. He's kinda like Troy Williamsson, makes all the catches in training camp, but when it's gametime, he fails.

As a fan, I'm getting really tired of it!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

To begin with, not a great pass, it was more on his hip.
    Shanko did almost get it into his gut and controll it, but that was followed by a very hard landing and the arm and part of the ball hitting the turf. This knocked the ball loss, much like a catch and then a defender hitting the ball dead on with his helmet. That would be a called
    a fumble, where as what happened to shank was the hard landing and turf knocked it lose. Conclusion for me, it was a very tough pass to catch and turn into a reception. Possible ?
    Yes.
    Supprised it got knocked lose, not at all.
    Shanco had a good game overall I thought. I wouldn't put the loss on his shoulders at all.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Mjölnir is offline Rookie

I just wonder whether TJack's shaken confidence passes on to his receivers.

Now I'm a very weak catcher, it's not my speciality to say the least. But even if you are a good catcher... you have to be able to trust your QB to put the ball right on the money. You run your route, you find some space, you turn towards the ball at the last second... as a receiver you have to trust that when you make that turn that ball will be right on you, or at least be catchable.

So in this respect, I don't think it's TJack's throws missing a mile wide that are the biggest problem with regards to the mental status of the receivers. It's his inconsistency... it's those balls that drop just beyond the gloves when the team are trying for a big play. If the receivers are out running their routes and they have any doubt about TJack's ability to put the ball on them, they'll come out less intense and may even start missing the ones that are catchable

Note: I'm not making excuses for receivers missing catches, if you get a shot it's up to you to take it. But I'm just pointing out that the receivers and QB play as a unit, the mental status/play ability of one will be affecting the mental status/play ability of the other.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Not trying to pick on anyone here but I have seen alot of fans say they are tired of things like Shanc dropping balls.

I get that your tired of it but just for curiousity sake, what are you gonna do about it?

Maybe I should start a poll or something. :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Not trying to pick on anyone here but I have seen alot of fans say they are tired of things like Shanc dropping balls.

I get that your tired of it but just for curiousity sake, what are you gonna do about it?

Maybe I should start a poll or something. :
    Well, for many on here, they will just post their feelings to let off steam until the next game.

The bad part for the ownership is that the marginal fans- The ones they count on to fill the seats that we do not have enough hardcore fans to fill- may decide it isn't worth spending the 100- 500 dollars it takes to go to a game, pay for gas, parking, a meal and concessions while there.

I didn't check but I believe not every home game has sold out yet so there is certainly something at stake for the ownership and also for the people who depend on fans coming to the game to keep their businesses profitable and to put money on the table. So to answer your question, the quiet ones who do not complain will probably stay home and not spend their money on the team. If you feel the team can afford to not have those fans, then tell them to go away.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Mjölnir" wrote:
    I just wonder whether TJack's shaken confidence passes on to his receivers.

Now I'm a very weak catcher, it's not my speciality to say the least. But even if you are a good catcher... you have to be able to trust your QB to put the ball right on the money. You run your route, you find some space, you turn towards the ball at the last second... as a receiver you have to trust that when you make that turn that ball will be right on you, or at least be catchable.

So in this respect, I don't think it's TJack's throws missing a mile wide that are the biggest problem with regards to the mental status of the receivers. It's his inconsistency... it's those balls that drop just beyond the gloves when the team are trying for a big play. If the receivers are out running their routes and they have any doubt about TJack's ability to put the ball on them, they'll come out less intense and may even start missing the ones that are catchable

Note: I'm not making excuses for receivers missing catches, if you get a shot it's up to you to take it. But I'm just pointing out that the receivers and QB play as a unit, the mental status/play ability of one will be affecting the mental status/play ability of the other.

WoW,
    thats a very good post and theory.
    I wasn't thinking that way, but your theory does hold alot of water.
    I'll agree with you 100% there.

And Marr,
    not everyone is putting Shanco down, I'm not for sure.
    Fact is, I like Shanco's play, and he shows alot of potential and has made a good number of solid catches so far.
    I was saying more about the fact that the pass wasn't the best to begin with, and it was a tough grab and completion to make for most recievers or TE's..

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

In watching that play the ball was very catchable.
    Seeing where the defender was I thought TJ put it in the only place he could have for Shiancoe to make the reception.
    Granted it wasn't the easiest catch but it was more than catchable.
    Remember this guy gets paid a lot of money to make these catches.
    Sorry but you won't find any empathy for Shiancoe from me at this point.
    The guy has dropped passes left and right.
    I think Mills is a better pass catcher and blocker from what I have seen thus far.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It's a fair question and to be fair to Shiancoe it may not have been one of the easiest balls to catch. Coming when it did if he'd made the catch we'd have got a TD and also TJ's confidence would have been a lot higher. Having said that you can't pin the loss on Shiancoe.
    The problem a lot of people have with him is that he was brought in on a huge contract and was touted as part of Childress's KAO. However when he needs to make a clutch reception then more often than not he is found wanting. That's the biggest downer on the guy and we can see someone like Mills on the sideline who has better hands having to watch.
    Bottom line is if you're paid big bucks then you'd best come up with the goods, unfortunately Shiancoe doesn't manage to do that.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    It's a fair question and to be fair to Shiancoe it may not have been one of the easiest balls to catch. Coming when it did if he'd made the catch we'd have got a TD and also TJ's confidence would have been a lot higher. Having said that you can't pin the loss on Shiancoe.
    The problem a lot of people have with him is that he was brought in on a huge contract and was touted as part of Childress's KAO. However when he needs to make a clutch reception then more often than not he is found wanting. That's the biggest downer on the guy and we can see someone like Mills on the sideline who has better hands having to watch.
    Bottom line is if you're paid big bucks then you'd best come up with the goods, unfortunately Shiancoe doesn't manage to do that.
    Exactly!
    Good post Anglo.
    That is where I was coming from too.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast