Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Vincent Jackson talk

There's talk scattered around in various threads about Vincent Jackson. Let's centralize it.

I'll start with this article from Kevin Seifert:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16580/could-vincent-jackson-rescue-the-vikings
    Could Vincent Jackson rescue the Vikings?
    September, 19, 2010
    7:50PM ET
    By Kevin Seifert

MINNEAPOLIS -- The next few days will provide a fascinating illustration of how the Minnesota Vikings view their 0-2 start. After another punchless outing from their offense, will the Vikings push the panic button and give up a premium draft pick to rent San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson for 12 games? Or will they determine that their problems are too widespread for one Pro Bowl receiver to fix, and instead go back to work with the talented roster they already possess?

I donít know if the Vikings will agree with me, but Iím siding with the latter strategy. To be clear, I donít think thereís any doubt they miss Sidney Rice, their injured Pro Bowl receiver. In Sundayís 14-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins, two of quarterback Brett Favreís three interceptions came on difficult passes that Rice often converted last season. Like Rice, Jackson is a big receiver with strong ball skills.

But could Jackson or Rice have made a third-quarter block on Dolphins linebacker Cameron Wake, who blew past tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and right tackle Phil Loadholt to sack Favre? (Dolphins linebacker Koa Misi recovered the ensuing fumble for what turned out to be the game-winning touchdown.)

Could Jackson or Rice have helped tailback Adrian Peterson into the end zone on a fourth-down play with 2 minutes, 21 seconds remaining? (Peterson, who had already rushed for 145 yards by then, was stopped cold by Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby.)
    Some interesting analysis in that article. Wonder if anyone will actually consider it?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vincent Jackson talk

Childress agreed that the ďurgency will definitely pick upĒ now that the Vikings are 0-2.
    Banish the thought. I think we are OK with the lackadaisical approach until atleast week 4 or 5.

On a side note, I thought we had a good thread on this already.

Major Trade Incoming?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:

Major Trade Incoming?
    I thought there was one, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link, Marty.

If a mod wants to join this thread with the other, please do so.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Major Trade Incoming?
    I thought there was one, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link, Marty.

If a mod wants to join this thread with the other, please do so.

=Z=
    No worries Z. You know me, I'll talk about a subject in 50 threads if they are out there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Nice idea to centralize all the Vincent Jackson threads in one,now time for someone to start right here the Favre/TJ talk.
    El underdog.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

But could Jackson or Rice have made a third-quarter block on Dolphins linebacker Cameron Wake, who blew past tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and right tackle Phil Loadholt to sack Favre?
    Ah, ... the what if game.

Would it have made a difference if the Vikings had been up by two scores? Likely not.

Of course, the Vikings could have offered Cameron Wake a better contract prior to last season, and then Wake would not have been blowing by anyone but Vikings opponents.

Could Jackson or Rice have helped tailback Adrian Peterson into the end zone on a fourth-down play with 2 minutes, 21 seconds remaining?
    It certainly would have helped to have Rice in the game, who would have been defended, rather than Tahi, who was not, as he blocked to the outside while Peterson ran inside. Either Tahi was supposed to draw off defenders, which assumed defenders are idiots, or Peterson did not go outside as the play was designed.

In either case, having Rice in the game rather than Tahi would have required the defense to change their defensive responsibilities. Being that Dansby was shadowing Peterson, I doubt it would have done anything on that play if that play was then and there even with Rice in the entire game.

Then again, maybe the Vikings would have passed for TD on a previous play with Rice in the game, and this would have been moot. If my tachyon field generator wasn't broken down, I could have peeked into one of the alternative universes to see the results, but as time goes by, it will be more difficult to locate that time and place anywhere in the universe.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

I predict that the Vikings trade a sizable chunk of their future to get Vince in the forlorn hope of saving their present.

It may win them a couple more games this year, especially if Rice comes back strong. But is winning nine games instead of seven worth it?

Net loss in the long run.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

+1
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Infidel wrote:
    I predict that the Vikings trade a sizable chunk of their future to get Vince in the forlorn hope of saving their present.

It may win them a couple more games this year, especially if Rice comes back strong. But is winning nine games instead of seven worth it?

Net loss in the long run.

I'm hearing at least a 2nd roun draft pick plus $5 mil cash to get it done.

Either way, there are other NFL dead lines pushing this issue to have a trade done by Thursday (I believe) or Jackson faces longer suspensions.

V-Jack will probably be a Viking by tomorrow or on another team.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

But then, smart trades by the Vikings are rare indeed.

Why expect anything but stupid?
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast