Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings's offense starts off well, then stutters after opening drives

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Maybe we are just getting lucky on the first drive, a coicidence. Or maybe the apposing team sees what the vikings are capable of and adjusts, the vikes don't adjust. Or maybe the vikes try to adjust allowing the defense to dictate the plays they run. Maybe Chilli is a genius play caller and scripts the first drive and then Bevell takes over and stinks it up. Maybe when the apposing team quickly answers it takes all the momentum away.
    Whatever it is it just sucks.
    Few good nuggets in here though my friend.

I don't think it is luck.

Opposing teams do adjust.

We adjust, but how much adjusting can you do with the experience level we have?

It does suck.
    ;D
    as much as it takes to win. If the talent is too stupid to understand the plays, then get smarter players.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Lack of confidence.
    Other than AD and maybe Chester the rest of the offense is getting pretty used to failure.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Maybe we are just getting lucky on the first drive, a coicidence. Or maybe the apposing team sees what the vikings are capable of and adjusts, the vikes don't adjust. Or maybe the vikes try to adjust allowing the defense to dictate the plays they run. Maybe Chilli is a genius play caller and scripts the first drive and then Bevell takes over and stinks it up. Maybe when the apposing team quickly answers it takes all the momentum away.

It does suck.

;D
    That sentence makes me question your definition of the word adjust.

Let's take WRs for example. In practice, the receivers run all kinds of routes, and they also practice a wide variety of play. This is to make sure they can execute any gameplan when neccessary.

So, lets say wehave a very productive first drive in which our receivers get several catches running slant routes. The next series, the defense calls plays which has the corner taking away the slant route by shading to the inside. We go 3 and out.

So now, with corners shading to the inside, our coaches theoretically would start calling plays that called for the receivers to run outs.

What the fuck does that have to do with experience level? Adjustments are made upstairs through a change in playcalling. The players know all the plays and have the task of trying to execute all of them to perfection. You could argue we have receivers who run good slants, but not good outs, but isn't that a stretch? I mean, a pro receiver should know how to run a fucking out.

Yes we are young, but that does not explain the phenomena of executing the first drive and sucking after. Also, there are 5 new starters on an offense that is expereiencing the same problem as last year. If you truly believe that the first drive is not a fluke, then you need to come up with a better reason than that.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Article Tries, but Just States the Obvious.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

It does suck.
    ;D

Let's take WRs for example. In practice, the receivers run all kinds of routes, and they also practice a wide variety of play. This is to make sure they can execute any gameplan when neccessary.

So, lets say wehave a very productive first drive in which our receivers get several catches running slant routes. The next series, the defense calls plays which has the corner taking away the slant route by shading to the inside. We go 3 and out.

So now, with corners shading to the inside, our coaches theoretically would start calling plays that called for the receivers to run outs.

What the fuck does that have to do with experience level? Adjustments are made upstairs through a change in playcalling. The players know all the plays and have the task of trying to execute all of them to perfection. You could argue we have receivers who run good slants, but not good outs, but isn't that a stretch? I mean, a pro receiver should know how to run a fucking out.

Yes we are young, but that does not explain the phenomena of executing the first drive and sucking after. Also, there are 5 new starters on an offense that is expereiencing the same problem as last year. If you truly believe that the first drive is not a fluke, then you need to come up with a better reason than that.
    amen

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

It does suck.

;D

I don't think that's actually a stretch at all.
    If you listen to the guys like Irvin talk about it, they often point out where receivers run bad routes.
    A common mistake is when receivers drift on a cut.
    For example, making a sharp cut on an out route, even coming back towards the line of scrimmage to some degree, keeps the defensive back from getting between the receiver and the quarterback.

I haven't really paid close enough attention to our guys to know if this is a problem, but it is something that pro receivers work on and struggle with.

I liked mountainviking's theory a lot more than the adjustment theory.
    At this point, I think it's about how much they practice and how well they practice.
    Look at our performance after the bye week.
    We had plenty of time to prepare and we executed well.
    You are what you do repeatedly.

I suspect they have been practicing those first 15 or so plays quite a bit in practice.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other plays they run don't get more than a handful of run-throughs during the week.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

Its all about the adjustments and teams adjust to our style of play very quickly.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

It does suck.

;D

What the floop does that have to do with experience level? Adjustments are made upstairs through a change in playcalling. The players know all the plays and have the task of trying to execute all of them to perfection. You could argue we have receivers who run good slants, but not good outs, but isn't that a stretch? I mean, a pro receiver should know how to run a fricken out.

I make a serious post with football crap in it and a light hearted post and you choose the light hearted one to pic apart.
    Jeeeezzzzz.

;D

Go back and read the post previous to this one.
    I believe it is because we are young that we are having problems as we get deeper into the game.

At least I gave an opinion.
    What is yours?
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

It does suck.

;D

What the floop does that have to do with experience level? Adjustments are made upstairs through a change in playcalling. The players know all the plays and have the task of trying to execute all of them to perfection. You could argue we have receivers who run good slants, but not good outs, but isn't that a stretch? I mean, a pro receiver should know how to run a fricken out.
    I don't think that's actually a stretch at all.
    If you listen to the guys like Irvin talk about it, they often point out where receivers run bad routes.
    A common mistake is when receivers drift on a cut.
    For example, making a sharp cut on an out route, even coming back towards the line of scrimmage to some degree, keeps the defensive back from getting between the receiver and the quarterback.

I haven't really paid close enough attention to our guys to know if this is a problem, but it is something that pro receivers work on and struggle with.
    I liked mountainviking's theory a lot more than the adjustment theory.
    At this point, I think it's about how much they practice and how well they practice.
    Look at our performance after the bye week.
    We had plenty of time to prepare and we executed well.
    You are what you do repeatedly.

I suspect they have been practicing those first 15 or so plays quite a bit in practice.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other plays they run don't get more than a handful of run-throughs during the week.
    Nice analysis.

I wish we could see what the WR's do once they get more than 5 yards down the field.
    Camera angles don't support analyzing what is going on in that area.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Can we get a "duh"?

We've all been saying this for a year!

Good research though. It's nice to put some numbers with opinions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast