Re: Vikings would be team hit hardest by lockout

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089915
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1089913
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089912
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089903
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089902
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089900
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089898
    Looks like the [strike]Favre[/strike]Childress experiment could end up costing us playoffs in 2011 as well.
    I fixed it for you.

Had Brett never been on the team we would be in no different situation now other than we MIGHT still have sage on the team to be a stop gap QB. The real problem was with Childress and he was going to tear the team apart whether we had Brett or not. In reality all Brett probably did is extend the Childress era by a year with the phenomenal season he turned in in 2009. Without him Childress probably didn't get an extension and faced with what he had at QB he might have been out the door after that season.
    No you didn't.

Had we not acquired Favre & started TJ or Sage in 2009, we'd have already signed a better QB in 2010 or drafted one in 2009/2010 & been a year or two ahead of the game.
    As Marrdro is fond of asking when this line of talk arises....

"Who would we have signed"? Or, more telling, "Who would we have drafted"?

Everyone - except Childress it seems - knew Favre was a 1-2 year band-aid on the QB position, but Chiller did NOTHING to address it while he had the opportunity. NOTHING.

And, based upon Chiller track record, he more than likely would have brought in over-the-hill QB's to help train Jackson, and kept Tarvaris in there despite a (likely) series of forgettable games and a flurry of fan backlash...punctuated by a slew of excuses for why it wasn't Jackson's fault, and he just needs "more time" or "a better line" or "different receivers".

No, this was Childress's fault all the way. He spent 5 years NOT addressing the QB issue...Favre didn't alter that.

Caine
    Favre said "YES!"
    You can't see sarcasm without it being pointed out to you?

**rolls eyes**
    I confused it with your usual Favre cynicism and posted a counter scarastic image......with was missed so I'll use this card

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1089923
    Looks like the [strike]Favre[/strike]Childress experiment could end up costing us playoffs in 2011 as well.
    I fixed it for you.

Had Brett never been on the team we would be in no different situation now other than we MIGHT still have sage on the team to be a stop gap QB. The real problem was with Childress and he was going to tear the team apart whether we had Brett or not. In reality all Brett probably did is extend the Childress era by a year with the phenomenal season he turned in in 2009. Without him Childress probably didn't get an extension and faced with what he had at QB he might have been out the door after that season.
    No you didn't.

Had we not acquired Favre & started TJ or Sage in 2009, we'd have already signed a better QB in 2010 or drafted one in 2009/2010 & been a year or two ahead of the game.

Everyone - except Childress it seems - knew Favre was a 1-2 year band-aid on the QB position, but Chiller did NOTHING to address it while he had the opportunity. NOTHING.

And, based upon Chiller track record, he more than likely would have brought in over-the-hill QB's to help train Jackson, and kept Tarvaris in there despite a (likely) series of forgettable games and a flurry of fan backlash...punctuated by a slew of excuses for why it wasn't Jackson's fault, and he just needs "more time" or "a better line" or "different receivers".

No, this was Childress's fault all the way. He spent 5 years NOT addressing the QB issue...Favre didn't alter that.

Caine
    Favre said "YES!"

**rolls eyes**
    I confused it with your usual Favre cynicism and posted a counter scarastic image......with was missed so I'll use this card

Then you were totally confused.

The "Favre expirement" wasn't the brainchild of Favre, but rather from within the Vikings organization. Some choose to blame Childress for it. I tend to believe that Bevell & Wilf, along with Childress, all played a big part in bringing here.

Your still to defensive about Favre. It seems any mention of Favre's time here in any negative light, brings out the Chris Crocker in you.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089916
    I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

What makes you think that? There really wasn't anyone to sign and Childress certainly didn't put a priority on signing any quality QB's in the draft so I really have to wonder how you could have gotten to that conclusion.

The only way we would have been a year or two ahead at this time is if Childress had been fired a year or two earlier.
    What makes me think that is had they stuck with TJ & Sage, they would have started TJ in 2009. He won the spot. (They should have continued to play him in 2008, IMO)It should have been shown by seasons end, that the Vikings needed to look elsewhere for a franchise QB. That would have forced them to look at acquiring one earlier in the 2010 draft than a late round Webb. Had they continued to play TJ in 2008, rather than sitting him after only just two games, they might have found out by the end of that season allowing them to look in the 2009 draft.

As it went, they sat him the bulk of 2008 & all of 2009 still with that "not knowing" if he would eventually come around or not.

I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

Caine

Favre wasn't brought in here as a 1-2 year band-aid, nor was he brought in here to teach Jackson. His years in GB & by his own admission already proved Favre does not teach/mentor QB's.

They brought Favre in because they saw a window of opportunity to win a SB with the talent they had, led by Favre, rather than trying to progress TJ along. The QB progressing was put "on hold" for a year & then two in pursuit of the Lombardi trophy

Had it merely been a band-aid they were looking for, Sage would have sufficed in that role had TJ floundered or not proven better than Sage.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089977
    I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

Caine

Favre wasn't brought in here as a 1-2 year band-aid, nor was he brought in here to teach Jackson. His years in GB & by his own admission already proved Favre does not teach/mentor QB's.

They brought Favre in because they saw a window of opportunity to win a SB with the talent they had, led by Favre, rather than trying to progress TJ along. The QB progressing was put "on hold" for a year & then two in pursuit of the Lombardi trophy

Had it merely been a band-aid they were looking for, Sage would have sufficed in that role had TJ floundered or not proven better than Sage.
    Favre wasn't a 1-2 year band-aid? Really? They planned to franchise him then?

Despite the desire to win a Superbowl - and, I'd like to add that that is the goal of EVERY acquisition, not just Favre - Childress, and everyone else, knew that Favre was a 1-2 year acquisition. That gave Childress 1-2 years to either get Jackson ready, or find someone better.

He did neither.

You, and a handful of others, like to make a stink about Favre not "mentoring" Jackson...despite me never having read a single word of complaint from any Viking QB in that regard. But I would like top point out that mentoring Jackson wasn't Favre's job.

How much mentoring do you think Matt Leinart got from Kurt Warner? The irony here is that Warner was brought in TO DO JUST THAT!!! Then he took away the starting job. But no one talks about him being a great mentor.

So why keep flogging that horse?

Favre wasn't brought in here to make Jackson better. He also didn't have any responsibility to make Aaron Rodgers better. THAT'S WHAT COACHES ARE FOR. Favre's job was to win games...and in 2009, he did.

But, through all of this, Childress had to have seen how thin he was at QB. Hell, he had to reach into RETIREMENT to pull out a QB for his team!!!

Yet he did nothing beyond that. (No, I don't count Joe Webb as a legitimate effort, since he was drafted as a WR!!!).

So, yes, I blame Childress for this. It was his JOB to know what his team needed...and he blew it. Which is why he no longer has that job.

Caine

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089975
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1089923
    I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

Caine
    Favre said "YES!"

**rolls eyes**

Then you were totally confused.

The "Favre expirement" wasn't the brainchild of Favre, but rather from within the Vikings organization. Some choose to blame Childress for it. I tend to believe that Bevell & Wilf, along with Childress, all played a big part in bringing here.

Your still to defensive about Favre. It seems any mention of Favre's time here in any negative light, brings out the Chris Crocker in you.
    Well from what I recall there was some texting going on from Favre's Packer cellphone (possible sausage photos).......and Favre telling the Jets if he was release he would only consider going to the Vikings and as far is Bevell....I don't think Choldress ever really listened to him.

After I googled Chris Crocker and had a lol, I saw this post re TJ and would have to say nice try Mr Pot :P

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089974
    What reports? I haven't seen or heard of any. Links?

And why is this is General NFL? Is it because of his FA status? If that's the case, then all articles/threads regarding Rice, Greenway, Leber, Edwards, Robison, etc should be funneled in to the general NFL as well.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

Caine
    Your finally catching on.........snicker......

Only problem is, your still blaming the Chiller cause he didn't go out and find a jewel amongst a bunch of crap.

The same issue is gonna filter over for Leslie I fear. No young QB's will be available in this draft that have any hopes of coming in and not sucking for atleast 2 to 3 years.

No viable options in the FA market.

As I said in another thread, the best option in the FA market right now is TJ. The staff probably won't do that cause of the upheaval yutz fans will have.

Sage is not, nor was he ever an option other than in Spielmans mind. Heck, the only reason he is still in the league is because of Spielman, well that, and the other fact that there just aren't any good QB's running around available.

I think the best way to say it, and really be accurate is....

He spent 5 years without any option to fix the QB issue because there were no options out there......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089916
    What makes you think that? There really wasn't anyone to sign and Childress certainly didn't put a priority on signing any quality QB's in the draft so I really have to wonder how you could have gotten to that conclusion.

The only way we would have been a year or two ahead at this time is if Childress had been fired a year or two earlier.
    Still wouldn't have alleviated or eliminated the fact that who ever took over for the Chiller would still have to pick from the same dregs at QB that the staff picked from.

Unless of course you are aware of any Vet QB's that we passed in FA on or rookie QB's that we passed on in the draft that are now lighting it up in the league.

Aside from Warner (who most on here would have shit a brick on if we would have signed in 2006) and Bree's, who again, would have shit a brick on, there have been no other options for us to solve the QB position.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090090
    I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

Caine

Only problem is, your still blaming the Chiller cause he didn't go out and find a jewel amongst a bunch of crap.

The same issue is gonna filter over for Leslie I fear. No young QB's will be available in this draft that have any hopes of coming in and not sucking for atleast 2 to 3 years.

As I said in another thread, the best option in the FA market right now is TJ. The staff probably won't do that cause of the upheaval yutz fans will have.

Sage is not, nor was he ever an option other than in Spielmans mind. Heck, the only reason he is still in the league is because of Spielman, well that, and the other fact that there just aren't any good QB's running around available.

He spent 5 years without any option to fix the QB issue because there were no options out there......
    Let's be completely honest here...no one really KNOWS who will pan out and who won't. Not until you see them play a few times.

For example, while I argued AGAINST starting Jackson in '07, I didn't KNOW he would fail...not until '08.

The same holds true in reverse - who KNEW Aaron Rodgers would be a star? 23 teams DIDN'T...or they would have drafted him. Green Bay needed a QB, Rodgers fell to them, and they got a great pick.

The POINT is that you have to TRY. Chiller didn't. He didn't bring guys in, he didn't offer options, and he flat out PASSED on the 2-3 hindsight viable options that we all AGREED then AND NOW that he should have looked at.

He stuck with Jackson.

He kept telling us how much Jackson had improved.

He kept telling us Jackson was ready.

And Jackson kept on sucking.

So, yes, I blame Chiller. Not for FAILING, but for not TRYING.

When you enter a season with 3 QB's on your roster - 1 a 6th round Wide receiver pick rookie, 1 a retirement bound band-aid, and 1 a 5 year failed project in the final year of his contract, that is NOT planning ahead.

Chiller fell in love with Jackson - hitched his wagon to Jackson - staked his professional reputation on Jackson - then couldn't deliver with Jackson. A more objective man would have recognized the need to seek an alternate QB...Chiller was too proud/foolish to do so.

And, as a final note, YOU keep saying how Jackson might blossom under the tutelage of a new franchise. That argument cuts both ways. I would submit that the same might be true for any of the QB prospects we DIDN'T look at had they come here.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090124
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090090
    I fixed it for you.

No you didn't.

Caine

Let's be completely honest here...no one really KNOWS who will pan out and who won't. Not until you see them play a few times.

For example, while I argued AGAINST starting Jackson in '07, I didn't KNOW he would fail...not until '08.

The same holds true in reverse - who KNEW Aaron Rodgers would be a star? 23 teams DIDN'T...or they would have drafted him. Green Bay needed a QB, Rodgers fell to them, and they got a great pick.

The POINT is that you have to TRY. Chiller didn't. He didn't bring guys in, he didn't offer options, and he flat out PASSED on the 2-3 hindsight viable options that we all AGREED then AND NOW that he should have looked at.

He stuck with Jackson.

He kept telling us how much Jackson had improved.

He kept telling us Jackson was ready.

And Jackson kept on sucking.

So, yes, I blame Chiller. Not for FAILING, but for not TRYING.

When you enter a season with 3 QB's on your roster - 1 a 6th round Wide receiver pick rookie, 1 a retirement bound band-aid, and 1 a 5 year failed project in the final year of his contract, that is NOT planning ahead.

Chiller fell in love with Jackson - hitched his wagon to Jackson - staked his professional reputation on Jackson - then couldn't deliver with Jackson. A more objective man would have recognized the need to seek an alternate QB...Chiller was too proud/foolish to do so.

And, as a final note, YOU keep saying how Jackson might blossom under the tutelage of a new franchise. That argument cuts both ways. I would submit that the same might be true for any of the QB prospects we DIDN'T look at had they come here.

Caine
    He didn't try? WHAT....First, that statement is totally wrong. Mostly cause the Chiller wasn't the only one working the issue. It was the whole fricken staff my friend.

Unless of course you still believe that the HC runs around doing everything when it comes to player personnnel moves.

Second, They did try, problem is, the ones they brought in, never worked out. Heck, truth of the matter is, and you won't admit it, that TJ worked out to be the best one they brought in.

Drafted Four
    2 Tarvaris Jackson Alabama State
    7 Tyler Thigpen Coastal Carolina
    5 John Booty USC
    6 Joe Webb UAB

Traded for or aquired via FA
    Rosenfell
    Bollinger
    Holcomb
    Noodle

Not sure, however, I think there are atleast 4 other "Camp Arms" that have been brought in for a look.

I think you need a grip on reality my friend. If nothing else, the Vikings have been one of the most "Active" teams in the QB search.

Didn't try anything my ass. You make me snicker my friend. :laugh:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast