Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't know if it is any easier for east coast fans to attend than anyone else to be honest.
    The flight is much longer and more expensive, but not so much different after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Formo View Post
    Anyway, not sure what the point was, except to bitch about the PR move to tease the uniforms (far better job Jacksonville or Miami have done, BTW) and to whine about the home game in London. Sorry to the season ticket holders here.. but this is actually a good move for the Viking brand. Lets bring in more fans globally. More fans = more awesomesauce. And money, too, but awesomesauce is awesome when you have a wider, GLOBAL fanbase to share it with.
    A home game in Oslo or Stockholm would have been better.

That begs the question, will the game be on any Scandinavian networks?

Last edited by Minniman; 04-22-2013 at 12:10 AM.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Vikings would rather make money than playoffs

The games in London to me are part of a much bigger picture than this poorly thought our complaint by Powers. If he's annoyed that they are playing in London vs in Minnesota, I get that. Tying in a uniform launch is comical at best.

My guess is that the Vikes are playing in London as a result of receiving financial aid for the new stadium. Probably a hand shake deal from the League, but, if not, so be it. Broad publicity and equity will come as a result.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings would rather make money than playoffs

In the end the whole idea of playing in Europe is a remnant of the expansionist idea of spreading the game to other continents and a belief they can expand the revenue abroad once it becomes stagnant within our borders. This is not going to happen and the idea if one day having a franchise in Europe would just be a disaster for the league.

But I guess at some point if they do place a team in LA they will need a new location to photoshop a mayflower truck to scare the citizens into voting for a new stadium.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Powers is an idiot. I can't ever remember him writing a positive column about the Vikings, so this is just something else that he has decided to complain about.

Maybe if the Vikings weren't the bottom two or three teams for revenue generation every year since the Wilfs bought the team (and before that for several years too), Wilf wouldn't have been so accommodating to host a game in London.
    So you're saying it is about the money? That's pretty much what Powers is saying when you cut thru the rest of it.

Plus he does have a point about us losing a home game.

A quick check of the Steelers schedule & the London game isn't costing them a home game.

Steelers 2013 schedule: Fit to rebound after 8-8 season - Behind the Steel Curtain
    Last edited by singersp; 04-22-2013 at 07:57 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So you're saying it is about the money? That's pretty much what Powers is saying when you cut thru the rest of it.

Plus he does have a point about us losing a home game.

A quick check of the Steelers schedule & the London game isn't costing them a home game.

Steelers 2013 schedule: Fit to rebound after 8-8 season - Behind the Steel Curtain
    I don't think play in London really makes a big difference for the owners when you factor in the league revenue sharing model, its been a long time since the merger with the AFL with changed how the NFL home times kept their home game gate money.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I don't mind them playing in London one bit, actually think it will be pretty cool to watch the fans there go crazy. I can understand losing the revenue by not having that game in Minnesota, but I don't live in Minnesota, and therefore don't really care about that.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Look, I'm not really a fan of shipping the Vikes - or any NFL franchise - overseas for a REAL game, ever. There's no point in doing so. NFL Europe failed. There will never be a viable NFL franchise that is European based, at least not until faster modes of travel are invented.

But one game is all it is.

It's a STUPID move, but not the end of the world.

I DO think it's shitty if they don't prorate the Season tix and credit each holder for the missed game.

Caine

LIVike is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

I DO think it's shitty if they don't prorate the Season tix and credit each holder for the missed game.

Caine
    We don't have to pay for the game. I personally don't mind missing the one game but I am pissed that they made it the one marque non conference game which I am still pissed about.
    None

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Look, I'm not really a fan of shipping the Vikes - or any NFL franchise - overseas for a REAL game, ever. There's no point in doing so. NFL Europe failed. There will never be a viable NFL franchise that is European based, at least not until faster modes of travel are invented.

But one game is all it is.

It's a STUPID move, but not the end of the world.

Caine
    Agree with everything you said caine.
    I really think it is a waste of time and hinders any team that goes there.
    I do not understand why they did not wait until the Vikes are playing in the smaller Gopher Hole to do it.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Wow looks like someone pissed in Powers wheaties before he wrote this article. I assume he's been told that he's going to London but that has to pay for the fare himself. Not only that but he has to drag his arse outside of the TC to cover the game as well instead of sitting at home and writing his usual drivel.

One point to bear in mind regarding the 'greedy' owner mentality that Powers wants to promote. If it was Zygi's idea to milk the magical cow that many consider London to be then he would have beaten the Jags to the punch and signed up for the four years that they did. However he didn't and just went for the one year and still he gets grief from some quarters. I keep hearing about what a dump the Metrodome is ( look at some of the stadia here and I'll show you dumps ) and how bad the game experience is etc etc... yet the minute a game is taken away I hear more whining than at a Puker sports bar.
    Yes its a top team that is now not coming to Minnesota but you really think that the NFL would be able to promote the Vikes/Browns game instead? Course not.

At present the IS series is doing well for the league and they will eventually put the pressure on all franchises to play a home game overseas, so maybe best that the Vikes get their 'contractual' obligation out of the way and play a game now rather than within the first couple of seasons in the new stadium.

Come September Powers will be in London taking it all in and forgetting what a whiny princess he was when he wrote this.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast