singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' worth least among NFL teams

Posted on Fri, Sep. 01, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings' worth least among NFL teams[/size]

Staff and news service reports

NEW YORK — The Vikings rank last among the 32 NFL teams in franchise value, according to Forbes magazine's annual survey released Thursday.

The team is worth only $720 million, although that would rank second in major league baseball behind only the New York Yankees.

But don't fret for Zygi Wilf, who purchased the Vikings last year. He already is making a profit, despite the team, which had an operating income last year of $16.3 million, playing in one of the league's oldest stadiums.

Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs and stadium development, declined comment on the Forbes report.

Five NFL teams, led by the Washington Redskins, have franchise values above $1 billion.

The Redskins have led the list for seven consecutive years and are worth $1.423 billion, an increase of 13 percent over last year. They had a 2005 operating income of $108.4 million, more than double every team except Houston and Tampa Bay.

The New England Patriots rank second in Forbes' calculations at $1.176 billion. They are followed by the Dallas Cowboys at $1.173 billion, the Texans at $1.043 billion and the Philadelphia Eagles at $1.024 billion.

That means three of the five most valuable teams are in the NFC East. The other NFC East member, the New York Giants, is 15th at $890 million.

The Texans are second in operating income with $57.6 million, followed by the Buccaneers at $56.9 million.

Only the New Orleans Saints (27th at $738 million) had a negative operating income, $4.1 million. The Saints, displaced by Hurricane Katrina last season, are playing home games in Baton Rouge, La., and San Antonio.

Despite that, the Vikings and four other teams — Oakland ($736 million), San Francisco ($734 million), San Diego ($731 million) and Atlanta ($730 million) — are valued below the Saints.

The Yankees, by the way, are valued at $1.026 billion, which would be fifth among NFL franchises.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Vikings' worth least among NFL teams

The Redskins make so much money it's not even funny.. But all I can say is well done to Dan Snyder for exploiting the commercial opportunities available to him.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    The Redskins make so much money it's not even funny.. But all I can say is well done to Dan Snyder for exploiting the commercial opportunities available to him.
    The Redskins are worth so much because they outright own FedEx field and, thus, get close to 100% of all the revenues associated with the club-level seats (the yellow ones you see on TV which have hardly any people in them - I've sat in them, so I know) and the suites.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Boo woo the Vikings are ONLY worth 720 million.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    The Redskins are worth so much because they outright own FedEx field and, thus, get close to 100% of all the revenues associated with the club-level seats (the yellow ones you see on TV which have hardly any people in them - I've sat in them, so I know) and the suites.

=Z=
    That's why I don't understand why Zygi is so hell bent on getting state money for the stadium. I think a businessman like him would be able to get a group of investors together to pony up the dough for a new stadium. THEN Zygi and his investors would own it outright, we wouldn't have to listen to the DAMNED STATE and the Vikings would be a more lucrative franchise.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't claim to be a business man, but I am assuming that while owing the stadium outright would definately increase the net value of the Vikings, it would not necessarily increase profits.
    I believe that owning a part of the stadium, and then taking a portion of revenues from all events at the location, would yield a greater return on investment than owning the stadium outright.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

=Z=
    That's why I don't understand why Zygi is so hell bent on getting state money for the stadium. I think a businessman like him would be able to get a group of investors together to pony up the dough for a new stadium. THEN Zygi and his investors would own it outright, we wouldn't have to listen to the DAMNED STATE and the Vikings would be a more lucrative franchise.

Yea don't be fooled. Even if you have CASH to build your own stadium sometimes cities won't let you. The city wants some of the money the stadium is going to produce. So they want to PARTNER with you. So it's not a matter always of the owner passing the buck. It's a combination of City and local gov trying to get their share of the revenue the place will make.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

=Z=

Yea don't be fooled. Even if you have CASH to build your own stadium sometimes cities won't let you. The city wants some of the money the stadium is going to produce. So they want to PARTNER with you. So it's not a matter always of the owner passing the buck. It's a combination of City and local gov trying to get their share of the revenue the place will make.

That's true, but I don't see how The Redskins were able to keep everyone's hands out of their pockets and Zygi can't. They built a stadium in the most political place in the WORLD and he was able to keep everyone out of his business. I just don't understand how politics could play such a huge role in Minnesota and not in Washington DC.

IMO, the Vikings are a privately owned organization in a privately owned league, so I think Zygi can do pretty much whatever he wants with them. Maybe I'm missing something.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    That's true, but I don't see how The Redskins were able to keep everyone's hands out of their pockets and Zygi can't. They built a stadium in the most political place in the WORLD and he was able to keep everyone out of his business. I just don't understand how politics could play such a huge role in Minnesota and not in Washington DC.

IMO, the Vikings are a privately owned organization in a privately owned league, so I think Zygi can do pretty much whatever he wants with them. Maybe I'm missing something.
    I'm not sure of the history of FedEx construction - and googling it does not come up with any obvious construction history stuff.
    It was built by the previous owner, Jack Kent Cooke, and I'm sure there were tons of political battles fought between Maryland, DC and Virginia over it - simply based on all the BS that went into the battle to build the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium.

It also only cost $280million to build - back in the early 90s when it was under construction.
    Things have changed on that front - plus, it ain't got no stupid roof.
    I watched a game there during an ice storm a couple years back (safely out of the elements in the AOL Luxury Suite) and it was something.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!