Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings working on plan for publicly owned stadium

ST. PAUL, Minn.A Minnesota Vikings official says the team is looking at four potential sites for a publicly owned stadium in the Twin Cities.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings working on plan for publicly owned stadium

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1080978

ST. PAUL, Minn.A Minnesota Vikings official says the team is looking at four potential sites for a publicly owned stadium in the Twin Cities.
    The link wasn't working for me, but if you go to the www.mercurynews.com site and search for stadium you find it right away.

I am curious as to where this reporter got his numbers from. Bagley actually said "some in Minneapolis and one in the suburbs" when he had the online chat the other day, and the following morning he said "two in Minneapolis" on KFAN. One is on the site of the current stadium, and one is closer to Target Field to create a sports district. If there is a third one in Minneapolis, I am not aware of its location yet.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Links working again now.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I find it interesting that a decade into this process the vikings have yet to name the official spot they want the thing to go. What the heck have they been doing all of this time. I think bagley should be shown the door.

And any plan with a fold back roof should get the architect tarred, feathered and ran out of town. Either have it open or closed full time. They never have them open anyway so why even have the option?

Erinnn is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1081127
    I find it interesting that a decade into this process the vikings have yet to name the official spot they want the thing to go. What the heck have they been doing all of this time. I think bagley should be shown the door.
    Up until roughly 5 or 6 years ago it was expected to be in Blaine. For a while there was even a sign off 35W that said future home of the Vikings where they anticipated building.

And any plan with a fold back roof should get the architect tarred, feathered and ran out of town. Either have it open or closed full time. They never have them open anyway so why even have the option?
    Here are a couple different scenarios as to why they'd like it retractable, not just opened or closed.
    OPEN:
    They could host an NHL Winter Classic
    High School State Championships
    Vikings Football
    Any potential NCAA Football bowl game
    Motocross
    Monster Jam
    U of M Commencement Ceremonies
    High School Soccer championships
    Possibly a Super Bowl(NY/NJ is holding one in a few years)

Closed:
    Twins Fest
    Concerts
    Major speakers(i.e former presidents, 'The Pope') etc.
    Vikings Football if there is there is such things as hail or lightning in the area. Tornadoes they'd be pulled off the field anyway.
    Golf Shows
    Outdoor Hunting and Fishing shows
    Car shows
    NCAA Final Four
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I notice with all the plans I've seen over the years that they all seem to be centred more on Minneapolis.
    Is there any reason that St Paul shouldn't be considered at all or is there no suitable sites there ? asking that as I have never visited St Paul on my trips over and so am not familiar with the area at all.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Blog Entries

What?

Have you not been following the stadium issue for the past 10 years? The Vikings have had several plans that they brought to the table, all of which have falled through. Since the Anoka plan fell through, they have been struggling to find a local partner, but even then it was planned to be on the Metrodome site. Last year they were shot down in the legislature primarily becuse they did not have a local partner. The intent this year is to go back to the legislature with a local partner in place, which means they have to explore their options again.

I do agree about the roof though. Personally I think it should be a fixed roof. Cheaper, and still usable for events outside football.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1081135
    I notice with all the plans I've seen over the years that they all seem to be centred more on Minneapolis.
    Is there any reason that St Paul shouldn't be considered at all or is there no suitable sites there ? asking that as I have never visited St Paul on my trips over and so am not familiar with the area at all.
    St Paul is an option. The last proposal that had any legs was in a northern suburb - Blaine. There is another suburb proposal in the works this year.

One of the big reasons Minneapolis is always at the forefront of the conversation is because of politics. Hennepin county (Where Minneapolis is located) is the most populous county in Minnesota, and therefore has the most representatives in the legislature. They are a pretty strong political force when they vote together, and can incluence many of the other counties. They also have a strong voice on the Metro Commission.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" #1081129

Here are a couple different scenarios as to why they'd like it retractable, not just opened or closed.
    OPEN:
    Vikings Football
    Motocross
    Monster Jam
    Possibly a Super Bowl(NY/NJ is holding one in a few years)

Closed:
    Twins Fest
    Concerts
    Vikings Football if there is there is such things as hail or lightning in the area. Tornadoes they'd be pulled off the field anyway.
    Golf Shows
    Car shows
    NCAA Final Four
    I don't think that they would have the roof open for nearly that many events. When I was at the super bowl in Arizona, they closed the roof. So I doubt they would have it open in February in Minnesota if there is an option to close it. Here is my revised list using your events:

OPEN:
    Vikings Football

Closed:
    Twins Fest
    Concerts
    Golf Shows
    Car shows
    NCAA Final Four
    Motocross
    Monster Jam
    Super Bowl

Honestly, I don't see the advantage to having an open air or retractable roof stadium.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast