Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    Ranger is offline Coach
    People are giving up on Ponder already? SKOL VIKING FANS.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It's not giving up on Ponder....it's not being ready to anoint him the chosen one. He hasn't earned it, he hasn't proven anything, and Webb has played well. Yet, despite the obvious, the HC wants to declare his pick the favorite....

It's all too familiar...

Caine

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Webb will never be a legitimate starting QB in this league. Why waste time having him start?

Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Christian Ponder deserves to get the starting spot. As previously mentioned he didn't have any OTA's or mini-camps and a very rushed Training Camp. There's going to be a learning curve and growing pains for any rookie quarterback. Given the set of circumstances of the NFL Lockout last year I feel like Ponder played fairly well. He had a decent first start against the Packers and almost won that game. If you're looking at the stat sheet and compare him to other rookie quarterbacks like Cam Newton then yeah it's easy to say he didn't play well. I say let's give this kid the benefit of the doubt and judge him after this year before we start asking for his and the coaching staff's heads. We added some pieces around him like Kalil and Schwartz so hopefully he'll stay vertical longer to make reads and to get the ball out. If he stinks this year then yeah maybe we should explore other options to create a quarterback competition in camp to light a fire under his ass (similar to what the Jets did in New York bringing in Tebow) but for now I'm okay with the coaching staff's decision naming him the starter.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The hilarious part is some of the fans pining for Webb are the ones that hated Jackson.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    That's good. Let him be comfortable and not worry about a guy creeping up behind him.... as is the Vikings way
    Really? Only a few years ago people were all up in arms every offseason complaining because we didn't have a viable back up QB in camp competing for the starting QB job.

Not once did I here someone state that they didn't want another QB in here so that our QB could be comfortable and not have to worry about a guy creeping up behind him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    He was out-played by Joe Webb last year. They had the same completion percentage (54%), Ponder had a higher INT%, Webb had a higher QB rating and only had one win less than Ponder, despite starting only 2 games to Ponder's 10.
    Ponder got credit for two wins, but he didn't win them both. Ponder's 1st win happened thanx to a missed FG bu the Panthers.

His 2nd win, which some people give him credit for, he didn't win at all. He passed for a total of 68 yards & had 0 TD's. Webb came in on the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter with the Vikings losing & took them to the endzone on the 3rd play by running it in himself.

He further went on to pass for 2 more TD's & the Vikings won the game.

To be honest with you, both QB's won 1 game. I'm not sure how you came up with Webb having 1 less win than Ponder. We only had 3 wins all season & McNabb won the 1st one.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    It's not giving up on Ponder....it's not being ready to anoint him the chosen one. He hasn't earned it, he hasn't proven anything, and Webb has played well. Yet, despite the obvious, the HC wants to declare his pick the favorite....

It's all too familiar...

Caine
    110% correct, spot on.. good post.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    The hilarious part is some of the fans pining for Webb are the ones that hated Jackson.
    I hated Jackson? News to me.

Caine, you believe this?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

It's all too familiar...

Caine
    How can you say Webb has played well? Kid can run and is fun to watch doing it, but he can't throw the ball with any consistency, probably won't ever be able to (thus the WR projection).

Said it before and I'll say it again. Vikings fans don't have a clue what it takes to develop a QB because they don't have the patience to develop one.

Truth of the matter is we won't know what we have with respect to Ponder for probably 2 or 3 more years. If you doubt that go look at the Cats everyone was anointing after 1 year like Ryan or Flacco. Serviceable yes, but are they the answer or just decent/viable options.

Here's my main issue with Ponder and it doesn't have anything to do with Ponder. How are we the fans expected to see growth in the kid if we can't trust the O-coord (and the coaches under him) to develop him.

We saw Load slip last year, now were seeing Percy beeeyatching about the scheme and if he can hit is escalators so he gets paid.

I'm of a mind to call this season a wash right from the get go with ole Musgrove calling the shots.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast