Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Here is an interesting quote from Craig Johnson, the Vikings QB coach, on the importance of this offseason for Ponder.

Vikings QB coach sees major progress from Christian Ponder
    “I think there’s no question, he’s come light years,” Johnson said of Ponder in an interview with 1500 ESPN. “Obviously getting a chance to work out a lot of the kinks, a lot of the problems that you find out as a young player, that’s when you get a chance to work on them is usually in the first offseason afterwards. Having been through this with a couple of other quarterbacks, I kind of know how it goes. They go back [and say], ‘I can’t believe I did this,’ or, ‘Oh my God, this is so clear now.’ You kind of have to put them through the paces for them to understand what’s good and bad about each play. I think he’s really done a good job with that. . . . He’s making the mistakes like other guys do, but as he’s going through them he learns how to work through them and he’s making many fewer mistakes because the game is starting to slow down. That’s what you look for.”
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    But does he have to be great? Is Eli great or does he just have a damn nice team around him?
    She-Lie is like Jim McMahon...right guy in the right system at the right time.

Problem Ponder has is he's in a horrible system with horrible coaches and a very bad team....not such a great combo.

Caine

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Here is an interesting quote from Craig Johnson, the Vikings QB coach, on the importance of this offseason for Ponder.

Vikings QB coach sees major progress from Christian Ponder
    Ah yes, the infallible Craig Johnson... who played how many years at the QB position? Oh right, none.

How many great QBs has he "coached"? Oh right, none.

What's that you say? Vince Young was his brightest protege? Haha... whatever.

How many championship teams has he "coached"? Oh right, none.

Craig Johnson falls right in line with the rest of our coaching staff - absolutely clueless
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Ah yes, the infallible Craig Johnson... who played how many years at the QB position? Oh right, none.

How many great QBs has he "coached"? Oh right, none.

What's that you say? Vince Young was his brightest protege? Haha... whatever.

How many championship teams has he "coached"? Oh right, none.

Craig Johnson falls right in line with the rest of our coaching staff - absolutely clueless
    How many great QBs have you coached?
    How many proteges have you had?
    How many championships teams have you coached?

Why is it that the entire coaching staff is absolutely clueless while you seem to have a firm grasp on the abilities and capabilities of our players. And all this just from watching them from 1200 miles away. Impressive!

I bet if he came out and said something about Webb looking good you would take his word as gospel simply because he agreed with you...

So since you have such a low opinion of Craig Johnson, are you saying that you disagree with his statement about the importance of the first offseason after a QB moves into the starting role? It makes sense to me... but then again I might not have coached as many championship caliber QBs as you have.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    .... Rice hadn't played for 3 weeks due to injury, Berrian hadn't played for 4 weeks due to injury, Shiancoe hadn't played for 2 weeks & Childress didn't prepare the Vikings the Vikings for the upcoming game, resting several of the starters, that it played an impact on the Vikings losing those first two games.

How does that even compare to Ponder's situation? There's a big difference there. It's apples & oranges. ....
    So at the moment missing the first 2 games Jerome Simpson and Adrian Peterson's injury recovery are valid for this seasons start.....coaching inadequacies are still apples and apples but Spielman might bring in a tennis player to help the offense in some way or convert a trainer into a scout to help with the opponents tendencies so that would outweigh Childress's speeches water buffalo. Add in sitting guys like Harvin and Rudolph in the red zone or second half of the game....does that equal resting players?

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Problem Ponder has is he's in a horrible system with horrible coaches and a very bad team....not such a great combo.

Caine
    Having lived thru the McMahon years here in Chicago and having to watch most of their games, I have to disagree with you on McMahon. He was a good QB who was smart enough to change the calls at the line of scrimmage with regularity. Ditka spent a lot of time screaming at him on the sidelines for it. The team was very good even without him, but he put the offense over the top. They had Payton before McMahon but didn't win big until he was there. When the D gave him a short field, he did not play ball control, he went for the throat. He would have had a longer career if it weren't for a Packer, (Chas Martin) body slamming him well after a ball was thrown.
    Jim McMahon body slammed by Charles Martin Bears Packers 1986 - YouTube

I HOPE you are wrong about the horrible system, horrible coaches, and bad team, but I can't say you are incorrect in that assumption. I haven't seen anything yet that would make me argue that point. Hopefully they have learned over the course of a year together.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    But does he have to be great? Is Eli great or does he just have a damn nice team around him?
    Eli is great!
    I have always liked the guy and i didn't understand his bum rap.
    1) Stands in the pocket and delivers the ball even when getting hit (sometimes chucks and turns like Romo)
    2) Big arm and great accuracy
    3) Dependable, yas yet to miss a game
    4) Plays in a tough division.
    5) Has won championships with different receiving corps and OL.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Eli is great!
    I have always liked the guy and i didn't understand his bum rap.
    1) Stands in the pocket and delivers the ball even when getting hit (sometimes chucks and turns like Romo)
    2) Big arm and great accuracy
    3) Dependable, yas yet to miss a game
    4) Plays in a tough division.
    5) Has won championships with different receiving corps and OL.
    Good stuff. Still not sure he would be classified as great, but I do like him. Makes good judgements (for the most part) and doesn't hesitate to make a throw.

He does rely on his WR's to make big plays for him as some of those throws are sometimes off the mark. I think that has something to do with is ball flight in the wind which is still a bit of a problem.

Long story short, I think Ponder can be just as good as Eli. Not great, but good enough.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re-Watch: Ponder

Ponder definitely exhibits intriguing tools. I thought his arm strength and velocity were much stronger than expected, and believe he has it in him to be a franchise quarterback. But he needs to dramatically improve his decision making, keep his eyes downfield, and get help from his teammates. Aside from Adrian Peterson in the backfield and Harvin in the slot, there were no explosive elements to Minnesota's 2011 offense. And unless you're the '11 Patriots, NFL teams must pose some semblance of vertical danger to defenses in order for big plays to happen.
    Re-Watch: Ponder, DHB, Gettis - Matchups - Rotoworld.com

I listened to him on the morning show on Sirius coming into work and found some of his thoughts interesting so I went and dug up his article. Who do you believe, this guy or Cosell?

On a side note......

** Toby Gerhart lacks elite talent, but he hits each hole with purpose, churns his legs through contact, and has made major strides in the passing game. He's one of the NFL's top No. 2 backs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Caine
    Hey, we agree....LOL.

I hope that the signing of Simpson and the drafting of both Childs and Wright might be an indicator that they will go to the WR's a bit more this year.

Silva said that after he reviewed Ponders games he found that the reason he didn't look down field much was because there wasn't anyone to look to and if there was, they were doubled or not even close to open.

Not sure about you, but I'm liking the idea of a Simpson, Childs and Harvin(insert Wrigth) on the field with AD in the backfield.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast