Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings will use receiver rotation

Posted on Sat, Oct. 29, 2005

Vikings will use receiver rotation

With Burleson back, position crowded

BY GORDON WITTENMYER

Pioneer Press

Consider Sunday the first day of the rest of the Vikings' lives without Randy Moss.

Whether that amounts to a rebirth of a lackluster offense or a return to the drawing board for the team's offensive braintrust might depend a lot on how well the line can hold up Carolina's fierce pass rush.

But if quarterback Daunte Culpepper can get even a narrow window of opportunity to work throughout the afternoon, Sunday's pivotal road game could be the dawn of a new era of no-Moss, no-problem passing offense for the Vikings... .

Or send the season back into its previous no-Moss, no-mas direction.

For now, the possibilities are endless — as in Nate Burleson, Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor, Koren Robinson and Troy Williamson. That's five healthy receivers, none of whom can be ignored by the coaches or opponents, and, consequently, all penciled into key roles for the first time this season as the Vikings unveil a new-look rotation against a team ranked 27th in the NFL in pass defense.

"There are no more real packages, per se, where we try to get certain guys on the field,' coach Mike Tice said this week, describing the rotation prompted by the return from injury of Burleson last week and the solid play of the other receivers, especially during Burleson's monthlong absence. "There might be a couple, but now it is a rotation similar to what we have on the defensive line where we try to rotate seven guys through.'

Tice said he will leave the details and doling out of playing time to receivers coach Wes Chandler, who was not allowed to be interviewed on the subject.

Which means the only certainties, for now, are that the Vikings are no closer to fielding a player capable of replacing the best receiver in the NFL and that somebody considered important to the system is always going to be left out of even the most receiver-friendly sets.

Even in the empty-backfield set the Vikings ran about a dozen times against Green Bay last week, no more than four receivers are on the field at once — and tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who's on pace for a team pass-catching record, is certain to get his along the way, too.

For now, the receivers say they don't consider that a problem.

"As Marcus told me last year, there's enough food on the plate for everybody to eat,' Burleson said. "And that's pretty much as simple as it gets.'

Simpler even than when Moss was around, regardless of how many guys are at Culpepper's trough.

"There's a little bit more being served, more of a full-course meal,' Burleson said of post-Moss life as a Vikings receiver. "We're going to take advantage of what's to eat.'

That might be easy for Burleson to say, considering he's the top dog in this receiving pound, with Marcus Robinson and Taylor next in line.

But even the rookie, first-round pick Williamson, and Koren Robinson, the one among the five who hasn't made a start this season, say they like the rotation idea.

"You ain't got too many guys, And you ain't got not enough,' Williamson said. "That's a good number to rotate. That means everybody gets opportunities to make plays. When that time comes you just got to do it.'

Tice said some of the rotation will be based on such things strengths of specific receivers on specific routes but that he expects a lot of it to be simply taking turns with fresh legs. He also suggested Koren Robinson would become a bigger part of the offense as the season progresses.

"I'm just playing my role, baby,' Koren Robinson said. "Whatever they ask me to do, I'm willing to do it — whether it be fifth receiver, kick returner, punt returner. Whatever it is, I'll play my role.'

Said Marcus Robinson: "There's nothing bad about it. There's nothing hard about it.'

And it's not about replacing Moss, he said. "I don't know if it was here before, but I know what we have now,' he said, referring to a bond among the receivers. "I think we're genuinely happy for each other when everybody's out there making plays, no matter who it is. … We definitely enjoy when plays are called for other people.'

That should mean a lot of enjoyment built into the new system.

"It's not a bad problem to have,' Wiggins said. "Randy's a great player. You can't take nothing away from him. Obviously, the guys we have now, they're more of a collective group, where there's a lot more weapons than just one big gun.'

Is it possible the Vikings have found too much of a good thing in the wake of Moss's departure to Oakland since last season? Obviously, that's the idea.

"We had (eight) guys with receptions this last ballgame,' offensive coordinator Steve Loney said. "As you continue to produce that way, that puts a strain on a defense, because you can go at them from several different places. And it also helps your quarterback because he knows he can go through his progression of reads and we've got several playmakers that can make a reception.'

On the other hand, Moss demanded so much attention from opposing defenses in the past that opportunities opened up almost everywhere else on the field when the play didn't go to him.

"I ain't saying we're going to replace Randy,' Koren Robinson said, "but we all bring something to the table that helps us win.'

Gordon Wittenmyer can be reached at [email protected]
    __________________________________________________ ____________

PLEASE! limit your replies to the receiver rotation topic at hand & NOT the Moss trade.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Hitstick31 is offline Rookie

Re: Vikings will use receiver rotation

All of them are good.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

whatever works!!

Go vikes!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Just so long as they are all happy with it and none of them wants to be the biggest pig at the trough.

I like this idea better than just having 3 guys. It is the total opposite of the Moss scheme we had in place, the Randy ratio. If DC gets comfortable with the plays and the progressions, no D will have a chance to key on anyone and they will have to be accountable for all players, more than just a few.

We should add some wrinkles to it with more Bennett moving out to the WR from the backfield like Westbrook in Philly. A LB can't cover that speed. You know what I am saying.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Get my dawg Koren in there! He needs to get into the game and make some plays for us! This will keep the WR's fresh as well too.. I love this idea because everyone gets to play

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Just so long as they are all happy with it and none of them wants to be the biggest pig at the trough.

I like this idea better than just having 3 guys. It is the total opposite of the Moss scheme we had in place, the Randy ratio. If DC gets comfortable with the plays and the progressions, no D will have a chance to key on anyone and they will have to be accountable for all players, more than just a few.

We should add some wrinkles to it with more Bennett moving out to the WR from the backfield like Westbrook in Philly. A LB can't cover that speed. You know what I am saying.
    I agrre SIA.

Sounds like they're all in agreement on it. "Plenty of food to go around."

As long as Loney has enough different plays for each receiver the "D" won't know who to cover. I don't want to see are offensive plays become predictible by the "D" based on who the receivers are that are in & how they're lined up.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Hitstick31 is offline Rookie

Koren is our best wide receiver hands down!!! Get this guy on the field, he is a PLAYMAKER IN EVERY SENSE OF THE GAME!!! Plus his amber Visor is raw as hell.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

You gotta hand it to Tice, he REALLY knows how to "tip his hand" to the opposing teams. :roll:

Why not just send them a copy of the playbook? This reminds me of the "Randy Ratio".

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

sounds like a good idea to me, we'll have fresh legs out there all the time, i know it doesn't matter quite as much as it does with the RBs but it still couldn't hurt. i don't feel this is Tice tipping his hand either he isn't saying we're going to be throwing to this receiver everytime he's on the field like the Randy Ratio, he's just saying that he's going to rotate them, don't see any problem with that.

Thanks Josdin

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I noticed that you cried loud enough for a title, good job :thumbleft:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast