Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11
    smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Something to "Ponder" over the Deadskins game.

    1rst half - O-coord primary offensive looks were bunched sets. OL struggles, QB struggles.

    2nd half - (Afer AD and Ponder go down) - Multiple WR set packages. Toby and Webb run at will. WR's are open. OL doesn't struggle.

    Tale of two halves my friends. Still don't understand why Musgrove won't give Ponder multiple WR sets when he is out there.
    Been saying it for years. Max protect loads the box, makes it hard to run, and hard to know where the blitzes are coming from.
    When Rodgers first started playing he was sacked repeatedly and they tried max protection packages without success. Suddenly about a third of the way through the season they went to a spread offense, the sacks went way down, and the rest is history.
    Unfortunately, if Musgrave stays, I doubt we will see great success even if we improve the line.

  2. #12
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is online now Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Been saying it for years. Max protect loads the box, makes it hard to run, and hard to know where the blitzes are coming from.
    When Rodgers first started playing he was sacked repeatedly and they tried max protection packages without success. Suddenly about a third of the way through the season they went to a spread offense, the sacks went way down, and the rest is history.
    Unfortunately, if Musgrave stays, I doubt we will see great success even if we improve the line.
    Good stuff my friend.

    One quick question/thought.......

    Musgrove has shown that when Webb is out there (atleast this weekend) that he has the packages in there to run more traditional sets. The team showed that they can execute them. Why then, when Ponder is in there, won't he run them?

    Can't be related to the OL. Again, they did fine this weekend. Can't be that the WR's can't catch balls cause they did when Ponder threw. Can't be that we need to keep TE's in to block. Heck one of Webbs TD's was to a TE in the end zone (not blocking).

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a very talented team, regardless of what a few on here say. It just needs a coaching staff in charge that knows what the hell its doing.

    Its almost like Leslie wanted to suceed with either McNabb or Webb. My guess is that Spielman wants Ponder and Leslie wants Webb. Can't believe I'm saying that, but I'm almost convinced of it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #13
    smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good stuff my friend.

    One quick question/thought.......

    Musgrove has shown that when Webb is out there (atleast this weekend) that he has the packages in there to run more traditional sets. The team showed that they can execute them. Why then, when Ponder is in there, won't he run them?

    Can't be related to the OL. Again, they did fine this weekend. Can't be that the WR's can't catch balls cause they did when Ponder threw. Can't be that we need to keep TE's in to block. Heck one of Webbs TD's was to a TE in the end zone (not blocking).

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a very talented team, regardless of what a few on here say. It just needs a coaching staff in charge that knows what the hell its doing.

    Its almost like Leslie wanted to suceed with either McNabb or Webb. My guess is that Spielman wants Ponder and Leslie wants Webb. Can't believe I'm saying that, but I'm almost convinced of it.
    The Webb packages Musgrove had in when Ponder was the QB rarely worked and truly lacked imagination.
    When Webb came in as QB the offensive playcalling sheet shrunk considerably. Hell, Webb ran the option play to the right several times.
    The offense was simple and the team played better.
    Musgrave needs to quit trying to trick his way to victory and this offense might find some consistancy.
    As far as the success in this game, it was a meaningless game against a lousey team and we barely won. I don't make the same leap of faith saying this team has talent because it beat the Skins.
    I do agree this team has the talent win more games with better coaching
    .
    With regard to your 0 technique guy. That would be alright if Kevin Williams would pick up the pace and starrt playing full time, but without a pocket collapsing penetrating DT beside him, the 0 technique guy wont be as effective. I still think we could use one though.

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is online now Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    The Webb packages Musgrove had in when Ponder was the QB rarely worked and truly lacked imagination.
    When Webb came in as QB the offensive playcalling sheet shrunk considerably. Hell, Webb ran the option play to the right several times.

    The offense was simple and the team played better.
    I completely disagree. What was called did shrink, and might have looked simler, but what packages were on the field didn't. In fact the packages actually varied quite a bit when Webb was on the field which caused the defenses to spread their coverages instead of just loading up the box.

    Again, go back and watch, lots of 23 sets with Ponder on the field as apposed to multiple variants of 11 and 10 sets with Web on teh field.

    Musgrave needs to quit trying to trick his way to victory and this offense might find some consistancy.
    I'll give you that one, but other than the first few Blazer packages in the first half, that were successfull by the way, we didn't see alot of trickery.

    As far as the success in this game, it was a meaningless game against a lousey team and we barely won. I don't make the same leap of faith saying this team has talent because it beat the Skins.
    I do agree this team has the talent win more games with better coaching
    .
    In no way am I saying we have talent cause we beat the skins. I'm only saying we have deep enough bench talent to beat the skins.....IF.....big damn if, our coaches pop their heads out of their asses.

    If we had a full compliment of our starters we should blow a team like the Deadskins out of the water.

    With regard to your 0 technique guy. That would be alright if Kevin Williams would pick up the pace and starrt playing full time, but without a pocket collapsing penetrating DT beside him, the 0 technique guy wont be as effective. I still think we could use one though.
    Kevin has never really be a dominant 3 tech without a good 0 tech next to him. In short, you put a 0 tech next to him and you would see better production out of him.

    What I would do, on a side note, is trade him now. Ballard, Griff or Guion would do just fine at the 3 tech with a stud NT in this scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •