Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings will ship out Childress if QB fails

[size=13pt]Vikings will ship out Childress if QB fails[/size]

By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post NFL, Broncos Beat Reporter

Article Last Updated: 09/02/2007 01:37:58 AM MDT

Brad Childress has just sealed his fate in Minnesota.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings will ship out Childress if QB fails

I think BC coaches next season regardless of our record this year . . . however . . . another losing effort in 2009 will be his end . . . regardless of how the QB does.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I just don't buy into that rationale.

We have had several articles quoting the owner as backing the plan this staff is executing.
    Additionally, Wilf needs to get some wins on the board to get fan support for a new stadium.

Firing Childress after this year just means another year or two of more losses as the new coach would have to go through tall the same growing pains that the Chiller and his staff are going through now.

Continuity at the coaching position is how you establish a stable organization and a stable organization can be directly attributed to a winning organization.

Long story short, I believe the Ownership (Wilf included) is aware of the risks of developing a raw QB this year as it will pay dividends down the road.

Because of this, if TJ doesn't pan out, I don't think the Chiller will be fired.

Sorry guys, he is here for the long haul.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:

We have had several articles quoting the owner as backing the plan this staff is executing.
    Additionally, Wilf needs to get some wins on the board to get fan support for a new stadium.

Firing Childress after this year just means another year or two of more losses as the new coach would have to go through tall the same growing pains that the Chiller and his staff are going through now.

Continuity at the coaching position is how you establish a stable organization and a stable organization can be directly attributed to a winning organization.

Long story short, I believe the Ownership (Wilf included) is aware of the risks of developing a raw QB this year as it will pay dividends down the road.

Because of this, if TJ doesn't pan out, I don't think the Chiller will be fired.

;D

Don't be sorry Marrdro, I couldn't agree more. The Wilfe's are looking for stability, and defenantly like the way Childress is running this team. If Tarvaris plays well all this is moot anyhow, and even if he has a bad year the Chiller will be back next year. I believe that T-Jack and co. will be better than predicted, and will continue to get better next year when we really make a push for the Championship.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D

Don't be sorry Marrdro, I couldn't agree more. The Wilfe's are looking for stability, and defenantly like the way Childress is running this team. If Tarvaris plays well all this is moot anyhow, and even if he has a bad year the Chiller will be back next year. I believe that T-Jack and co. will be better than predicted, and will continue to get better next year when we really make a push for the Championship.
    You are wise beyond your years my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Well for 4 years anyway, unless they finish with respectible seasons. I don't see it going beyond that.

Tice finished 32-33, counting the 1 loss he had after the Grenn firing & that was not good enough in 4 years, so he got fired.

So far the Vikes are predicted to go less than .500 which doesn't add up to a respectable first 2 seasons for Childress if that happens.

Like you said, wins are key, not only for the new stadium, but for ticket sales as well. If he has yet another miserable season, he could be on the bubble.

True, we'd be starting all over again with a new coach, but would Wilf do that after this year or will he wait for four years & then do it making the road to the top even longer.

This season will determine that.

My gut feel tells me if Childress doesn't start producing .500 seasons over the next two years, Wilf will try coaxing Cower out of retirement.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Childress was smart. He picked his QB in hid first draft. He now has a chance to be here with Jackson through his success or failure.

Dennis Green on the other hand, picked a QB in his third year of coaching? Or was it his second? Either way, Green was already on the hotseat for losing, and didn't have a chance to win with a rookie QB so he was out the door. Same situation with Romeo Crennel this year. Neither guys even had a chance when they picked their rookie QB because they were already on the hotseat.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

My feeling is that the Chiller has some more time...at least one more year.
    Call it "Rebuilding" or not, there are a whole lot of new players/schemes etc on this team.
    It takes time to "create a new environment."
    But, IMHO it looks like they're on the right path so far.

THen again, there is always a chance, If things went horribly wrong, he gets let go sooner, but I think it would have to be worse than just a losing season with a young QB...some sort of controversy and/or some extremely stupid moves.

Like the guy who drove drunk through the drive thru...naked.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Trying to predict is useless.
    Every year the experts predict maybe the top 3 or 4 obvious teams.
    Other than that it is a crapshoot.
    Personally I can care less whether they pick the Vikings to go to the superbowl or they predict them to go 3-13.
    The fact is most go off of what happens the year before.
    Last year we were predicted to make the playoffs.
    It didn't get us there.
    This year they are predicted to win 6 games.
    I say good.
    Let teams and experts underestimate us.
    The fact is they weren't far off from being playoff contenders last year.
    Stupid penalties and one bad play in many games resulted in a loss.
    All we can do is see what happens.
    Chiller is doing a good job with the player personnel on this team.
    Now its his job to make them play well together.
    If he can do it he will last.
    If not he won't.
    We will see.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

IMO it has less to do with the record than it does how the team looks in getting there. If we play teams close but lose, as long as the team is making steps forward and improving I see no way Chilly gets the axe unless Wilf makes a backroom deal with someone he likes better and Childress becomes expendable.

If, however we start losing games and look like we are confused and unprepared and we get no better or even worse as the year progresses like last year then I think it is more likely he gets cut loose.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast