Page 1 of 27 123 11 ... LastLast
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Vikings will name coach: Brad Childress

Four days after firing Mike Tice, the Minnesota Vikings are closing in on hiring a new coach.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Thursday that talks between the Vikings and Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress are intensifying as he appears to be the leading candidate for Minnesota's open head coaching job. Childress has interviews scheduled with other NFL teams, including the Houston Texans, and the Vikings are concerned that they could lose him if they don't reach a deal soon.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli previously reported that Childress arrived in Minneapolis on Monday evening after the Vikings were granted permission to speak with him. He met Tuesday with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and other club officials.

Childress, 49, coached 21 seasons in the college ranks, including a stint as the offensive coordinator at Wisconsin, before joining Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia in 1999.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress may bring other coaches with him

From the Phildelphia Inquirer

[size=18px]Birds expect to lose Childress[/size]
    Head coach job likely to lure him away; Johnson will stay.
    By Bob Brookover
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson isn't going anywhere, but the Eagles do expect offensive coordinator Brad Childress to be working elsewhere next season.

The St. Louis Rams asked the Eagles for permission to talk to Johnson this week; however, the Eagles' defensive coordinator wasn't interested in the job. Johnson, 64, apparently is content to be the man in charge of coach Andy Reid's defense. Next season will be his eighth in that role.

Childress, on the other hand, continued his tour of NFL cities yesterday, stopping in Green Bay, Wis., to interview for the Packers' head coaching job. He was in Minnesota on Tuesday and, according to reports, is the Vikings' leading candidate.

The Houston Texans also have asked for permission to talk to Childress, and he has a meeting with them scheduled for Saturday. There have been reports that New Orleans and Kansas City are interested in Childress, but neither team has asked the Eagles for permission to interview him.

"He's done a great job for us and I think he'd be a great head coach," Eagles president Joe Banner said. "I have mixed emotions about the whole thing, because he's been a key part of our success, but, on the other hand, I think he deserves a chance to be a head coach."

If Childress leaves, the Eagles probably won't have to look far for his replacement. Assistant head coach Marty Mornhinweg likely would take over as the offensive coordinator.

Childress, however, may have interest in some of Reid's other assistants for coordinator positions. Linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo and secondary coach Sean McDermott could be candidates for the job of defensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur could be a potential offensive coordinator.

I wonder if this is part of the package for Childress to come here???
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Re: Childress may bring other coaches with him

i think it would be good, get some fresh ideas on both sides of the ball from one of the top organizations in the league
    I m Down For A Boat Party

straight_party.tripod.com

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

CHILDRESS IS OUR COACH ACCORDING TO STARTRIBUNE!!!!!!

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/166073.html

stek is offline Rookie

Re: CHILDRESS IS OUR COACH ACCORDING TO STARTRIBUNE!!!!!!

Great Pick. With all the demand for coaches this offseason it's great to see we picked up someone good.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Thats cool. I heard he was suppose to be the best guy out there on the coaching market. I'm glad that we got someone in there quick and I hope he can do a good job.

I'm still going to miss Tice though....unless we win a superbowl!

vikes4lyfe is offline Starter

That's great

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I just hope that some of Jim Johnson's defensive mind rubbed off on him while he was with the E-girls...I DON'T want another Denny!!!

Congrats, Coach Childress! I wish you great success...and multiple Super Bowl victories!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikes4lyfe is offline Starter

yea CONGRATS Childress

GREAT PICK

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I am going to fire up the NFL TA and see if I can get the scoop.

Page 1 of 27 123 11 ... LastLast