Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Vikings will interview Raheem Morris

Per Chris Mortensen, usually spot on with all NFL.

"Vikings will interview Raheem Morris for possible high-level defensive coaching position after meeting w Redskins re: DB job "

@mortreport - twitter.

Raheem Morris is a former defensive backs coach, i like that we are looking that way.

High level defensive position?, Im thinking and hoping (since Pagac hasnt been fired yet), Pagac back to LB's coachs and Morris DC, Singletary out.

Our Linebackers did pretty good with Pagac coaching them, it seems that his defensive coordinator position might have been to big a challenge for him, but still - Greenway, EJ and Leber had a high level of play when they had Pagac coaching them, this year with Singletary, not so much.

Also seems like Frazier is thinking about keeping the Cover-2 in place and i like that, with JA getting so many sacks its not the system it was defensive miscues in the secondary blown coverage and such, especially with the safeties that was our problem this year..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Terrible idea.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Terrible idea.
    Well-developed point

He did a decent job as a HC,at least last year, so you know he can handle a job like DB coach. Worth a shot.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Hell, I was only commenting on continuing the T2 family tree on the defense. The T2 is an outdated defense and the teams that lead the league have offenses that know how to exploit zone defenses at will. The league has tilted itself towards the passing game so much that we either better spend every pick we have on skill position players and OL to the point we can either score 60 points a game and not worry about what we give up or we need to get a whole bunch better at stopping the pass.

This whole mindset of keeping the same front office and coach along with the same lackluster offense built around a RB who just blew out his knee and a soft zone defense is the perfect recipe for years of blackouts and 5-11 records.

The Vikings have always had trouble winning the big one but they always at least knew how to get close. Now that the core players from Red's era are being replaced by a core of Spielmans players they are fast becoming one of the worst teams in the league and the schemes they are running are only good for the history books.

Hopefully they only interview one guy as per Viking logic. That way whoever we interview and hire will be had by us and nobody else....

How has this guy succeeded? Didn't he just get canned from the Bucs? Nice. I think we should bring in Matt Millen to be the fourth corner of our "triangle of authority"...
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    I love this. Hear me out. There is no denying that Mike Singletary and Raheem Morris have brilliant football minds; in particular with the defense. But they both struggled as head coaches. Why? Because they are both one-dimensional. Mike Singletary is a disciplinarian. Although he is a great X's and O's guy, he loses his locker room by being to hard on the prima donna millionaire players. Raheem Morris is a players coach. His players love him. But they also walk all over him at times. If we put these two guys together, we have the perfect defensive coordinator. We would have all the schemes in place. With Raheem keeping the players on his side, and Mike keeping them in line. It's the best of both worlds. With Frazier, Morris, and Singletary, we could FINALLY start building a respectable defense. Hire Morris for DC, and keep Singletary as the assistant coach / LBs coach. You could definitely make an argument for too many cooks in the kitchen. But we have to do something drastic to right this ship. And this is the only feasible way, IMO, that we can keep the Tampa 2 and have success with it.

How does this scenario sound?

We hire Morris for DC. Giving us the 3-headed monster for our defensive coaching staff. We finally master the Tampa 2 schemes with the disciples of Dungy and Kiffin coming together again. This gives us the old Steelers cover 2 look as opposed to the watered down version that Dungy used in Indianapolis. This cover two was actually developed by both Dungy and Kiffin while they were on the Vikings staff in the early 90s. With that, we obviously need a lock-down Revis type corner. Somebody that can shut down #1 receivers and not break down their zone coverage. BINGO! That man is Morris Claiborne. I was on the Blackmon bandwagon with the rest of you, but this just makes too much sense. Sounds like a perfect way to spend our offseason. And it not only gives us our best chance of winning, but also our best chance of rebuilding.
    Last edited by MulletMullitia; 01-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    I love this. Hear me out. There is no denying that Mike Singletary and Raheem Morris have brilliant football minds; in particular with the defense. But they both struggled as head coaches. Why? Because they are both one-dimensional. Mike Singletary is a disciplinarian. Although he is a great X's and O's guy, he loses his locker room by being to hard on the prima donna millionaire players. Raheem Morris is a players coach. His players love him. But they also walk all over him at times. If we put these two guys together, we have the perfect defensive coordinator. We would have all the schemes in place. With Raheem keeping the players on his side, and Mike keeping them in line. It's the best of both worlds. With Frazier, Morris, and Singletary, we could FINALLY start building a respectable defense. Hire Morris for DC, and keep Singletary as the assistant coach / LBs coach. You could definitely make an argument for too many cooks in the kitchen. But we have to do something drastic to right this ship. And this is the only feasible way, IMO, that we can keep the Tampa 2 and have success with it.

How does this scenario sound?

We hire Morris for DC. Giving us the 3-headed monster for our defensive coaching staff. We finally master the Tampa 2 schemes with the disciples of Dungy and Kiffin coming together again. This gives us the old Steelers cover 2 look as opposed to the watered down version that Dungy used in Indianapolis. This cover two was actually developed by both Dungy and Kiffin while they were on the Vikings staff in the early 90s. With that, we obviously need a lock-down Revis type corner. Somebody that can shut down #1 receivers and not break down their zone coverage. BINGO! That man is Morris Claiborne. I was on the Blackmon bandwagon with the rest of you, but this just makes too much sense. Sounds like a perfect way to spend our offseason. And it not only gives us our best chance of winning, but also our best chance of rebuilding.
    Another TOA?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    I agree with MM. Raheem evokes a lot of energy which I think the Vikes need to balance Frazier's stoic demeanor. Singletary is firey, but Morris is more of a rah-rah guy. I think he would be a good fit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Hell, I was only commenting on continuing the T2 family tree on the defense. The T2 is an outdated defense and the teams that lead the league have offenses that know how to exploit zone defenses at will. The league has tilted itself towards the passing game so much that we either better spend every pick we have on skill position players and OL to the point we can either score 60 points a game and not worry about what we give up or we need to get a whole bunch better at stopping the pass.

This whole mindset of keeping the same front office and coach along with the same lackluster offense built around a RB who just blew out his knee and a soft zone defense is the perfect recipe for years of blackouts and 5-11 records.

The Vikings have always had trouble winning the big one but they always at least knew how to get close. Now that the core players from Red's era are being replaced by a core of Spielmans players they are fast becoming one of the worst teams in the league and the schemes they are running are only good for the history books.
    Well, that was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    I agree with MM. Raheem evokes a lot of energy which I think the Vikes need to balance Frazier's stoic demeanor. Singletary is firey, but Morris is more of a rah-rah guy. I think he would be a good fit for us.
    Hopefully, something like this would help our 3rd Qtr blues we saw all this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast