Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't watch college ball, but I would have to think if you are one of the top players in contention for a Heisman, you're a pretty damn good player.
    Tim liked it the first time you said that but he's starting to blush

tim-tebow-soul-headphones-8.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    But they all can outrun one of his throws lol
    If T'eo can't I'm sure he'll hold a press conference to lets us know why

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Just to make myself clear I didn't mean that I don't understand why a MLB playing OLB in a 4-3 struggles. That's natural when someone plays out of his most familiar position. What I meant is that I don't understand why the dip in performance is that significant. I mean, a great player should still perform at a high level.

Take Kuechely for example, he's faster than any of this year's top inside linebackers and would have been drafted way higher than any of these guys if he came out this year. He had an amazing college career and his NFL career is already off to an incredibly impressive start. He even played OLB in his freshmen year and still was the the best linebacker on the team. Even so, he was much better when he switched to the inside last season.

Really... NO! Sure I know everything is relevant, but I would really not say that a MLB's speed matters "alot". C'mon! There's a reason why two of this year's top 3 linebackers are out-runned by two 300 + offensive linemen in this year's draft class. Speed is just not very valued in an inside linebacker. Quickness however that's far more prioritized.

Fun side-fact: Based on 40 times, none of this years top 5 inside linebackers can catch Christian Ponder in a foot race.
    To answer your question, It almost always ends on who is covering who.
    The OLB ends up coving a Slot WR or the TE. It's a much more athletic position.
    Middle Lbs routinely cover the RB/FB when they go man. Now this isn't a golden rule because defenses are complicated and offenses build motions ands shifts to build an advantage.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The OLB ends up coving a Slot WR or the TE. It's a much more athletic position.
    Middle Lbs routinely cover the RB/FB when they go man. Now this isn't a golden rule because defenses are complicated and offenses build motions ands shifts to build an advantage.
    Yes, true. And on that note, the OLB has a much tougher job covering the TE/slot receiver than the MLB has covering the running back.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Weak ILB group as they all have weaknesses. I think Bostic could be used on third down and defintely Ogletree. With this class, why didn't we just stay with Brinkley is my question? I am not convinced Ogletree can play the mike in the NFL. He can get caught up in the wash, he likes to use his shoulder instead of using his hands to shed a block. I don't really like our options for MIKE, Ogletree, I think will be a very good OLB in the NFL so if he doesn't make it in the middle, we can move him outside.
    I think they would have been OK staying with Brinkley as well. Why create yet another hole in your starting line-up that you now need to plug via the draft/FA in addition to already having several needs already? Do they believe Cole can fill that role if the MLB they draft doesn't work out?

It's a crap-shoot whether or not the player you draft will be better than the one you let walk & rather than improve your team, you may have set them back. Find your replacement first & if he proves to be better, then make the move.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-21-2013 at 08:28 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I think they would have been OK staying with Brinkley as well. Why create yet another hole in your starting line-up that you now need to plug via the draft/FA in addition to already having several needs already? Do they believe Cole can fill that role if the MLB they draft doesn't work out?

It's a crap-shoot whether or not the player you draft will be better than the one you let walk & rather than improve your team, you may have set them back. Find your replacement first & if he proves to be better, then make the move.
    Agreed, this is another head scratcher. Some think Henderson could move to the middle if needed, but he wasn't successful last year when he did it.
    They didn't think Brinkley was a three down backer so they didn't want to pay him.
    But it would seem to put the Vikings in a position where they have to draft based on need more so than best player available. That can lead to reaching.
    I guess we wont have to wait long to see.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Just to make myself clear I didn't mean that I don't understand why a MLB playing OLB in a 4-3 struggles. That's natural when someone plays out of his most familiar position. What I meant is that I don't understand why the dip in performance is that significant. I mean, a great player should still perform at a high level.

Take Kuechely for example, he's faster than any of this year's top inside linebackers and would have been drafted way higher than any of these guys if he came out this year. He had an amazing college career and his NFL career is already off to an incredibly impressive start. He even played OLB in his freshmen year and still was the the best linebacker on the team. Even so, he was much better when he switched to the inside last season.

Really... NO! Sure I know everything is relevant, but I would really not say that a MLB's speed matters "alot". C'mon! There's a reason why two of this year's top 3 linebackers are out-runned by two 300 + offensive linemen in this year's draft class. Speed is just not very valued in an inside linebacker. Quickness however that's far more prioritized.

Fun side-fact: Based on 40 times, none of this years top 5 inside linebackers can catch Christian Ponder in a foot race.
    Speed does matter, that's why you see Teo' continuing to fall in this draft. After his forty time he went from top 15 to the back end of round 1. Yeah, you will find exceptions to the rule but as a rule you need to find a MLB with some speed in a tampa 2. You will also find a MLB that is slow but with great instincts and gets to his zone but you are talking about the exception and not the rule.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

I don't know if Cole can replace Brinkley but he is very similar in speed and hitting ability. I do have to say that in the little I saw of Cole he seemed way more instinctive than Brinkley in coverage. Granted, it was just a small sample so we really don't know what we have in Cole.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

This article breaks down what each player is expected to do and what their skillset should be in that defense.

The 4–3 defense relies on having a sure tackler at the middle linebacker spot. Most notably, Monte Kiffin's “Tampa Cover 2” scheme makes high demands on the MLB, requiring him to have above-average speed, and additional skills to be able to read the play and either maintain his central position to help the outside linebackers cover short passes, drop behind the linebackers in coverage and protect the zone of the field behind the outside linebackers from 11–20 yards out, or run up to the line of scrimmage to help assist in stopping the runs.[5]

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the read, but with that being said, I don't need an article to know what our MLB's job is. Hey, this is a crazy idea who gives an even more accurate description: Why not watch the games?

All jokes aside (with underlying truth), since this is a Manti Te'o thread. Should it come to a decision between speed (which I already proved is not much of a difference among this year's inside 'backers) and instinct, instinct is my first choice. And Te'o shows great instincts in zone coverage.

.. but I have a feeling that we are all a bit ahead of ourselves here. First of all, how do you define speed? In football terminology, my opinion is that "speed" is the how fast the player runs at his maximum, "explosion" is how fast the player moves in one movement, and "quickness" is how fast the player reaches his maximum.

Out of all those three, quickness is the most important ability of a linebacker. What most people tend to not know is that Te'o has solid quickness. The ten yard split is a much better indicator of quickness than the 40 yard dash. Manti Te'o had the same ten yard split at the Combine as Ogletree.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast