Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Another player who challenges the #5 MLB spot in the year's draft...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I agree. He is too good to pass up. I've seen Peterson rush for 14 yards. 14 yards in a game.
    Judging him on that game I would say he was washed up.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    If the Vikings are targeting Te'o I wouldn't mind seeing them doing a trade with the 9ers, as San Fran has a few too many picks and doesn't have the cap space for 14 picks and they don't have the room on their roster. We could get an extra pick and get Te'o just before the Ravens.....unless they move up to get him which I could live with too.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am not convinced that Te'o is our top target. I think he is ONE of our top targets, but I think that there are several other players who we would take ahead of him if they are available.

There is a lot of misinformation and smoke screens thrown up before the draft.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I am not convinced that Te'o is our top target. I think he is ONE of our top targets, but I think that there are several other players who we would take ahead of him if they are available.

There is a lot of misinformation and smoke screens thrown up before the draft.
    Are you saying the Vikings didn't really prefer Morris Claiborne last year.....

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Now that we have that behind us, let me just say that middle linebackers aren't supposed to be fast. There's a reason why none of the top 4 MLB's are even close to running under 4,6. Their responsibility is to run sideline to sideline. Think about it: A football field is 53 yards wide. In a 4-3 defensive scheme as Minnesota runs the outside linebackers are responsible to cover more grounds than the middle 'backer. That's like... let's just say 20-20 yards for the OLB's and 13 yards for the MLB. THIRTEEN YARDS!

Now tell me how important a MLB's forty time is!
    Because when your pass defenders blow it and a wr or te is running through the secondary the linebackers have to try and catch them.

Also having the speed to blitz the QB and catch him as he rolls away from the blitz is also a consideration.
    Last edited by RK.; 04-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.

WWBGD

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Attention to all who'd rather draft Ogletree, Minter or Arthur Brown over Te'o

HEY, True, true and true...I was thinking about this yesterday as well. Since it seems so likely we'll draft him, I started looking into several scouting reports to get a better idea of what/who he is. Some (who likely want him to fall) call him slow, but he ran right around the same speed as all of the other top MLBs. His 3-cone was nearly a top five number, and that is more important cuz it shows his ability to change directions on the fly and cover short distances. But, by every account, he is an intelligent team player and hard worker, exactly the kind of player our team is built around. And, since the MLB is the QB of the D who calls the plays and helps get his teammates lined up, that is very, very important!

As for further down the list, IF this really is an elaborate smokescreen, a name for the fast 40 guys is Jon Bostic. Kid ran a top 40 time of 4.6, top 3-cone time of 6.99, and top 20 yd shuttle too at 6'1" and 245 lbs. He also led a top college defense, so I'm not sure why he doesn't get more love...? Perhaps, it comes down to intelligence?

Jon Bostic Draft Profile
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I like Jon Bostic. He showed surprising speed at the Combine. He's great against the run and I like his instincts. He's still not a speed demon, but that's okay.

To address my good man RK here (I'm not sure if you were fully kidding): The middle linebacker's main focus is to stop the run between the tackles. If he's good against the run, he has a fair chance at being a starter. The same can not be said if he's good against the pass.

We wont ask our middle linebacker to run stride-by-stride with Vernon Davis or Hernandez down deep. Finding a universal middle linebacker with that type of speed combined with size and run-stopping abilities is nearly impossible in today's NFL (or the yesterday's for that matter). The Mike 'backer is very rarely asked to cover man-to-man. However, in Minnesota's scheme they do like to drop the mike down in zone coverage. But again, this is not a big zone to cover so quickness (and awareness) is still more valued than long speed.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Attention to all who'd rather draft Ogletree, Minter or Arthur Brown over Te'o

HEY, True, true and true...I was thinking about this yesterday as well. Since it seems so likely we'll draft him, I started looking into several scouting reports to get a better idea of what/who he is. Some (who likely want him to fall) call him slow, but he ran right around the same speed as all of the other top MLBs. His 3-cone was nearly a top five number, and that is more important cuz it shows his ability to change directions on the fly and cover short distances. But, by every account, he is an intelligent team player and hard worker, exactly the kind of player our team is built around. And, since the MLB is the QB of the D who calls the plays and helps get his teammates lined up, that is very, very important!

As for further down the list, IF this really is an elaborate smokescreen, a name for the fast 40 guys is Jon Bostic. Kid ran a top 40 time of 4.6, top 3-cone time of 6.99, and top 20 yd shuttle too at 6'1" and 245 lbs. He also led a top college defense, so I'm not sure why he doesn't get more love...? Perhaps, it comes down to intelligence?

Jon Bostic Draft Profile
    My take on MLB, is that it is largely a position about instincts and production. Game film is probably a better indicator then combine results. When reading all the different analysis on Bostic, he is primarily labeled as a thumper with average coverage skills. Not because of his speed or lack thereof, but because of his read/reaction and hip movement. To be fair, most MLB's are going to have a hard time with hip movement. They need to be sturdy against the run, able to take on OL and have coverage skills. Pretty hard to find a guy good in all areas.

My preference is to find the MLB that has the best mental makeup, a guy that just makes plays because he reads and reacts well. AW-like approach to the game.

Te'o's (hmmm is that how that works?) interception count is a good indicator of his instincts in coverage.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast