Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Thanks for the read, but with that being said, I don't need an article to know what our MLB's job is. Hey, this is a crazy idea who gives an even more accurate description: Why not watch the games?

All jokes aside (with underlying truth), since this is a Manti Te'o thread. Should it come to a decision between speed (which I already proved is not much of a difference among this year's inside 'backers) and instinct, instinct is my first choice. And Te'o shows great instincts in zone coverage.

.. but I have a feeling that we are all a bit ahead of ourselves here. First of all, how do you define speed? In football terminology, my opinion is that "speed" is the how fast the player runs at his maximum, "explosion" is how fast the player moves in one movement, and "quickness" is how fast the player reaches his maximum.

Out of all those three, quickness is the most important ability of a linebacker. What most people tend to not know is that Te'o has solid quickness. The ten yard split is a much better indicator of quickness than the 40 yard dash. Manti Te'o had the same ten yard split at the Combine as Ogletree.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    This article breaks down what each player is expected to do and what their skillset should be in that defense.

The 4–3 defense relies on having a sure tackler at the middle linebacker spot. Most notably, Monte Kiffin's “Tampa Cover 2” scheme makes high demands on the MLB, requiring him to have above-average speed, and additional skills to be able to read the play and either maintain his central position to help the outside linebackers cover short passes, drop behind the linebackers in coverage and protect the zone of the field behind the outside linebackers from 11–20 yards out, or run up to the line of scrimmage to help assist in stopping the runs.[5]
    Urlacher was the best cover 2 MLB I have seen prior to his knee problems. He had the size and strength to play the run effectively, the intelligence and instincts to QB the defense, and the speed to cover the deep middle of his zone as well as run from sideline to sideline.
    Urlacher ran a 4.54 and 4.59 at the combine. That's significantly faster than T'eo.
    Urlacher was almost 20 pounds heavier as well.
    However, Te'o has quickness as evidenced in the 20 yd shuttle and three cone drill that is only a little slower than Urlacher.
    I think Te'o could be a good MLB for the Vikings but doubt he will be a perrenial pro bowler.
    I expect he will be an upgrade at the position.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Thanks for the read, but with that being said, I don't need an article to know what our MLB's job is. Hey, this is a crazy idea who gives an even more accurate description: Why not watch the games?

All jokes aside (with underlying truth), since this is a Manti Te'o thread. Should it come to a decision between speed (which I already proved is not much of a difference among this year's inside 'backers) and instinct, instinct is my first choice. And Te'o shows great instincts in zone coverage.

.. but I have a feeling that we are all a bit ahead of ourselves here. First of all, how do you define speed? In football terminology, my opinion is that "speed" is the how fast the player runs at his maximum, "explosion" is how fast the player moves in one movement, and "quickness" is how fast the player reaches his maximum.

Out of all those three, quickness is the most important ability of a linebacker. What most people tend to not know is that Te'o has solid quickness. The ten yard split is a much better indicator of quickness than the 40 yard dash. Manti Te'o had the same ten yard split at the Combine as Ogletree.
    The trouble is most NFL franchises are not going by your definition but the article's definition when drafting players. I watched many of those guys play and that is one of the reasons I don't want to draft them with our first round pick.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    The trouble is most NFL franchises are not going by your definition but the article's definition when drafting players. I watched many of those guys play and that is one of the reasons I don't want to draft them with our first round pick.
    Haha okay, I don't wanna rip you tarkenton (I like you), buuuuut...
    ... First of all, there is absolutely NO explaining of the definition of speed anywhere in that article!
    ... Second, are you really saying that when a team is looking to draft a player they are going to search on wikipedia for what player they should draft? LOL!
    ... Third, you linked to WIKIPEDIA. I don't think highly professional teams would even use an unofficial source that anyone can write.
    ... Fourth, there are no plain black and white schemes in the NFL. Every coach' scheme is different. Sure, there are some basics to go after, but every coach has his preferences and schemes are often tweaked based on personnel.

I think I was nice on you here

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Urlacher was the best cover 2 MLB I have seen prior to his knee problems. He had the size and strength to play the run effectively, the intelligence and instincts to QB the defense, and the speed to cover the deep middle of his zone as well as run from sideline to sideline.
    Urlacher ran a 4.54 and 4.59 at the combine. That's significantly faster than T'eo.
    Urlacher was almost 20 pounds heavier as well.
    However, Te'o has quickness as evidenced in the 20 yd shuttle and three cone drill that is only a little slower than Urlacher.
    I think Te'o could be a good MLB for the Vikings but doubt he will be a perrenial pro bowler.
    I expect he will be an upgrade at the position.
    Good post! Yeah, Urlacher was a beast in his prime! He was a great MLB in that type of scheme. Urlacher looked like a defensive end, was very fast for his size, and could cover AND stop the run. If not for injuries I think he would have given Ray Lewis good competition for the best middle linebacker of the last century.

As for Te'o, it's funny because most people seem to question Manti's cover abilities. I question his abilities too, but NOT the cover abilities. What I'm a little uncertain of is how he will attack the elite big blockers of the NFL. Guess time will only show.

Haha okay, I don't wanna rip you tarkenton (I like you), buuuuut...
    ... First of all, there is absolutely NO explaining of the definition of speed anywhere in that article!
    ... Second, are you really saying that when a team is looking to draft a player they are going to search on wikipedia for what player they should draft? LOL!
    ... Third, you linked to WIKIPEDIA. I don't think highly professional teams would even use an unofficial source that anyone can write.
    ... Fourth, there are no plain black and white schemes in the NFL. Every coach' scheme is different. Sure, there are some basics to go after, but every coach has his preferences and schemes are often tweaked based on personnel.

I think I was nice on you here
    The wiki definition is what the basic skillset is needed, the NFL teams use those skillsets. Of course the NFL isn't going by a Wiki article the article explains the NFL and the defense. I gave the paragraph that said in a tampa two a MLB should have above average speed and outlined a Tampa two. You may have been nice but it didn't make sense, you have everything backwards.

If you don't like that then tell me what skillset should a MLB in a tampa two have. Many critics have repeatedly said Henderson was too slow for our scheme, Brinkley was too slow for our scheme, do you know what they ran in the forty?

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

HEY
    Blog Entries
    The wiki definition is what the basic skillset is needed, the NFL teams use those skillsets. Of course the NFL isn't going by a Wiki article the article explains the NFL and the defense. I gave the paragraph that said in a tampa two a MLB should have above average speed and outlined a Tampa two. You may have been nice but it didn't make sense, you have everything backwards.

If you don't like that then tell me what skillset should a MLB in a tampa two have. Many critics have repeatedly said Henderson was too slow for our scheme, Brinkley was too slow for our scheme, do you know what they ran in the forty?
    No no, I agree that's about what we want from the MLB in our scheme. Haha I just took it the way you said it. It just doesn't seem like you recognize that speed has sub-categories. When the article you refereed to talk about speed I'm pretty sure it means short area-quickness. (and not 100 meters Usain Bolt speed)

No no, I agree that's about what we want from the MLB in our scheme. Haha I just took it the way you said it. It just doesn't seem like you recognize that speed has sub-categories. When the article you refereed to talk about speed I'm pretty sure it means short area-quickness. (and not 100 meters Usain Bolt speed)
    Agreed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910