Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings will adjust for new QB starter Johnson

From the San Jose Mercury News;

Posted on Mon, Oct. 31, 2005

Vikings will adjust for new QB starter Johnson

BY DON SEEHOLZER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - During a 14-year NFL career, Brad Johnson has led three teams to the playoffs and won a Super Bowl, but he never has stepped into a situation quite like this.

With Daunte Culpepper lost to a season-ending knee injury, Johnson has moved up to No. 1 on the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback depth chart of a team that's 2-5 and in danger of sinking out of sight, but he isn't coming in with any speeches about what it will take to turn this season around.

"The most important thing is just be yourself," Johnson said Monday. "You can't fake it. The proof is putting up points; the proof is winning ballgames. . . . I have respect for the guys here, and I think it goes both ways. You earn leadership by making plays, so that's where we're at."

Before playing the final three quarters of Sunday's 38-13 loss at Carolina in relief of Culpepper, Johnson hadn't appeared in a regular-season game since Oct. 3, 2004, with Tampa Bay.

That 16-13 loss also was the last NFL start for Johnson, who signed with the Vikings during the offseason after being released by the Buccaneers, but he said he isn't going into Sunday's game against Detroit with anything to prove.

"When I work out in the spring, I'm not in it for my health," he said. "Careers are very short. You're not promised tomorrow. I enjoy playing the game. If it takes proving somebody wrong, then so be it for those people."

Coach Mike Tice said the Vikings feel fortunate to have Johnson, who passed for 162 yards and a touchdown against the Panthers, raising his career totals to 24,075 and 144, respectively.

"He's smart, going to get the ball out real quick," Tice said. "We'll probably have to adjust the style a little bit, but he's a competitor. He's well liked, well thought of. He had a great offseason, tremendous training camp and played real well in preseason. Now he's the guy. We put the ball in his hands and have to rally around Brad."

Vikings players, while still trying to come to terms with the loss of Culpepper, began the process Monday of moving on.

"Brad has won a Super Bowl and is a great quarterback," wide receiver Marcus Robinson said. "We brought him in here for that reason. He's definitely going to come in and do a fine job for us, I think."

Free safety and longtime Green Bay starter Darren Sharper, who played against Johnson many times while Johnson was with Tampa Bay, said the team has a lot of confidence in its new starting quarterback.

"You know one thing, he's definitely had a lot of experience," Sharper said. "Playing in a Super Bowl, playing in the league so many years, he knows how to deal with crowd noise and he knows the offense. He knows all the reads. I just hope he can go out there and lead us to a win."

Even though he rushed for 30 yards on four carries Sunday, Johnson isn't the running threat Culpepper is and the Vikings' offense obviously won't be the same without No. 11 under center.

"Brad's more of a rhythm thrower," Tice said. "He's going to get that thing out real fast. You'll see a lot of throws where he'll get the ball out and guys won't have been turned around. In layman's terms, those are called timing routes. That suits his style more."

Johnson doesn't have Culpepper's big arm, either, and isn't as mobile in the pocket, which probably means even more blitzing by opposing defenses, but the Vikings are keeping any other possible changes to themselves.

"I think that's going to play itself out this week," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said. "You have to look at the things he's comfortable with. You can't make 10 other people change for one, but you can take those strengths and say, what do we have in the system that fits those strengths?"

One point in Johnson's favor is that the Vikings' offense is very similar to the one he ran during the 1996 and '97 seasons in Minnesota.

What he has gained in experience since then could offset whatever he has lost in athleticism, but Johnson joked he never was all that athletic to begin with.

"I think that's the greatness about my game," he said. "I played the same game at 26 as I am at 37."

If that means the Vikings will be more of a pocket passing team without Culpepper, that's fine with Johnson. Whatever it takes to win.

"There's a lot of guys in the league who play the way I do," he said. "The biggest thing in the game of football is to get the ball out of your hands and into playmakers' hands and let people make plays for you. . . . There's a lot of different ways to skin a cat."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings will adjust for new QB starter Johnson

Please.. oh please brad.. win us at least one game.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i would rather win no games and get reggie bush.
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

You tell 'em, Brad!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

We are going to be okay. It will be a GREAT comeback. We need this game against the Lions. But i think we REALLY need to beat the Giants at home. If we do this the switch will click and the divison will be ours. Brad is a decent QB. Look at what Brunell is doing for Washington, even I need to take a step back and reread what I just posted about Mark Brunell. We are fine and the division is still ours to lose.

"MEN WE STAY THE COURSE"

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"gregair13" wrote:
    Please don't EVER talk about quitting to get a draft pick. This is a quitters mentality. We play the HAND WE ARE DELT. What makes this such a great sport to watch is the adjuments need to survive week in and week out. Do NOT CHEAT THE GAME with talk of quitting on a season that we are still much alive in.

This post is saying to me and the rest of your Viking Brothers and Sisters is
    :binky: "I WOULD RATHER LAY DOWN AND CRY" :binky:

"MEN WE STAY THE COURSE"

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ajefx is offline Rookie

"gregair13" wrote:
    we have to at least beat GB one more time for pride's sake.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

"gregair13" wrote:
    We're not getting Reggie Bush. Ever. Get over it, folks. They're looking at QB if anything in the first round because Daunte is out at least 10 months, meaning he can practice around the end of preseason TOPS. Getting a good QB in the draft is their only insurance. Hopefully, Maroney is still around for our Smoot/pick trade.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    We're not getting Reggie Bush. Ever. Get over it, folks. They're looking at QB if anything in the first round because Daunte is out at least 10 months, meaning he can practice around the end of preseason TOPS. Getting a good QB in the draft is their only insurance. Hopefully, Maroney is still around for our Smoot/pick trade.
    Pep will be back! Have faith.

What good does drafting any QB early do for us. The help we need 1st & foremost is on O-line. I doesn't matter if you put the best QB in the NFL behind our center. If you haven't got an O-line, he get pummled.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I think Brad is going to come in and really suprise some of you.....Not me, I think he is a good vet player, and if our coaches make the right decisions and taylor our offensive play to help him out we will be okay..

Can you say Wiggins? Brad likes to let the ball fly quickly, perfect for TE routes, Screens, and short to medium routes for our recievers..

Also, this might make us get back to the run more and yes, it will open up some of those deeper pass routes for us....I'm sure he can still toss that skin 30 to 40 yards, and we have some guys that can run after the catch...

I say it comes down to the coaching and O-line....

Brad will be fine...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast