Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Vikings: What Went Right and Wrong

What went right: ATL, CHI (round 1), SD, NYG, DET (round 2), and SF.
    Those were all fun games to watch.
    What went wrong: DET (round 1), GB (round 2), and WAS.
    Those games were damn near unbearable.

To get into the discussion about talent level, the team is probably a bit above average.
    What happens though is that people judge how talented a team is based on how good the QB, WRs, and RBs are, disregarding most of the other positions.
    Well, the QB position is very important.
    We have a young QB that makes a good amount of mistakes along with a very poor recieving corp. so some people will say we aren't very talented.

I think this team is definately headed in the right direction though.
    Consider our talent level compared to when Childress and Co. took over after the 2005 season.
    I think we're better at QB, RB, OL, DL, and LB.
    I think we're about the same at S, and probably a little worse at WR and CB.
    Additionally, most of that talent is young and won't be getting away thanks to good cap management.

So that's also what went right: we're getting better and will have a few exciting playmakers that are worth paying to see come next year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Here's an interesting question from another article...
    Peterson surpassed the 1,000-yard mark on Nov. 4 but managed only 305 yards over the Vikings' final seven games; he missed two because of right knee injury. The general feeling was that opponents stacked the line with run-oriented defenses, shutting down Peterson's angles. But does that answer tell the whole story? If the box was so stacked, how did Chester Taylor gain 577 yards over the final seven games?
    Two primary factors contributed to that.....

a.
    Of course his leg injury seemed to inhibit his ability to get off Tackle.
    b.
    His poor pass blocking/blitz pickup made the team pretty one dimensional when he was on the field.

I believe both things will not be an issue next year.
    His knee will heal and the blocking issue is usually resolved by thier second year.
    I don't understand the whole pass blocking statments. Why are we using him to pass block. The passing schemes he should be used in should allow him to leak out of the back feild. Don't we remember that for several weeks he led our team in reciving? When you take him out in passing situations you make the team extremely 1 dimentional.

Defenses basically began saying
    "Peterson In equals a run"
    "Peterson out Key on run but watch for pass"

This is who ever calls the plays fault. I don't know if it's Childress but someone is to blame and it's not Peterson. If a defense knows everytime you come into the game, you're getting the ball, who can run against that?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Peterson surpassed the 1,000-yard mark on Nov. 4 but managed only 305 yards over the Vikings' final seven games; he missed two because of right knee injury. The general feeling was that opponents stacked the line with run-oriented defenses, shutting down Peterson's angles. But does that answer tell the whole story? If the box was so stacked, how did Chester Taylor gain 577 yards over the final seven games?

a.
    b.
    His poor pass blocking/blitz pickup made the team pretty one dimensional when he was on the field.

His knee will heal and the blocking issue is usually resolved by thier second year.
    I don't understand the whole pass blocking statments. Why are we using him to pass block. The passing schemes he should be used in should allow him to leak out of the back feild. Don't we remember that for several weeks he led our team in reciving? When you take him out in passing situations you make the team extremely 1 dimentional.

This is who ever calls the plays fault. I don't know if it's Childress but someone is to blame and it's not Peterson. If a defense knows everytime you come into the game, you're getting the ball, who can run against that?
    I think you answered that question later on in your post.
    I think he was used occasionally for pass blocking. But you are right, I wish we would have used him out on the edge as a receiver more often.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Right: No late night boat trips on Lake Minnetonka

Wrong: players that can't pass a piss test or are trying hard not to

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

a.
    b.

Problem is that even though all of our backs should be able to leak out, the growing pains of installing the new ZB scheme somewhat restricted that as well as the TE's role in the passing scheme.

Then add the fact that a QB with TJ's experience a bit more time is needed to allow for his progression through his reads.

All that equates to everyone needs to do a better job of pass blocking.

We will see more leaks next year, but still, Memo has had issues with pass blocking in the past.
    Remember how hard Tice was on him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...okie2004/week5
    http://blogs.citypages.com/sports/20...u_an_ounce.php
    http://www.footballdiner.com/sammonson2.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Right: PP.O has made me go to more games this year.

Wrong: Snow kept me from seeing every home game live this year.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

From ESPN:

RIGHT: Anthony Herrera, G, Minnesota: He began the season as a reserve, playing behind Artis Hicks, but was inserted into the starting lineup after the fourth game and the Minnesota running attack flourished. The Vikings, who are the NFL's top-rated running team, averaged 135 rushing yards the first four games and 174.7 yards in the 11 games since Herrera became a starter.

Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123