Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: What Went Right and Wrong

"TimmyT" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Thanks Marrdro, I think the one thing they didn't talk about was the young guys on this team got some valuable playing time, and that we have had two strong drafts. Young guys contributing like McCauley, and Rice, Greenway, and Jackson. We have a talented bunch and are only a couple players away from really having more "rights" then "wrongs".
    Couldn't agree more.
    Really, Marrdro?

In my opinion, the Vikings are NOT a very talented football team besides the offensive and defensive line. Now don't get me wrong, the 2007 NFL Draft really improved our talent level with players like Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice.

But as a whole, I feel our team lacks talent compared to a lot of the other NFL teams. Look at how average we are at the skill positions on offense, (WR, TE) I can't think of many, if ANY, teams who have worse players at those positions than we do.

Not to mention we only have about 3-4 exceptional players on defense.
    And yet we have 7 players that make the Pro-Bowl. Second most of any team.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"TimmyT" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Thanks Marrdro, I think the one thing they didn't talk about was the young guys on this team got some valuable playing time, and that we have had two strong drafts. Young guys contributing like McCauley, and Rice, Greenway, and Jackson. We have a talented bunch and are only a couple players away from really having more "rights" then "wrongs".
    Couldn't agree more.
    Really, Marrdro?

In my opinion, the Vikings are NOT a very talented football team besides the offensive and defensive line. Now don't get me wrong, the 2007 NFL Draft really improved our talent level with players like Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice.

But as a whole, I feel our team lacks talent compared to a lot of the other NFL teams. Look at how average we are at the skill positions on offense, (WR, TE) I can't think of many, if ANY, other NFL team who have worse players at those positions than we do.

I think we have a glut of talent. What we lack is experience.
    Well at least that is what we lacked going into this year.

Next year our 2006 draft class will be better and will start to dominate at thier positions but will still have flaws.
    Next year our 2007 draft class will be better but need reps and coaching.
    They will still have flaws but will contribute none the less
    Next year our 2008 draft class will be predominatly used as backups/ST's and will be allowed to develop like most teams do it.

Yes I think we have alot of talent.
    Sometimes that is missed cause we threw kids to the wolves and expected them to play like seasoned Vets and blamed them and the Coaches when they did.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Right
    Our draft class was superb.
    Chilly had a better record just barely missing the playoffs and seem to have a better feel for this team.
    TJ and company went 8-8.
    We came out pretty much injury free (at least anything major).
    Add a DE and maybe a CB and we are the best defense in the league.
    Add a vet QB (McNabb and a Stud WR and we are a Super Bowl team.
    Our rookies and youg guys get one year smarter.

Wrong

Inconsistent play by various positions.
    Once again failing to end the season strong.
    Not sure if our playcalling was anything special.
    We still failed to stay out of the news (too many incidents that could be avoided by being smarter).
    Troy Williamson.
    Turnovers obviously.
    Our vets got one year older.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
    Really, Marrdro?

But as a whole, I feel our team lacks talent compared to a lot of the other NFL teams. Look at how average we are at the skill positions on offense, (WR, TE) I can't think of many, if ANY, other NFL team who have worse players at those positions than we do.

Next year our 2006 draft class will be better and will start to dominate at thier positions but will still have flaws.
    Next year our 2008 draft class will be predominatly used as backups/ST's and will be allowed to develop like most teams do it.

Sometimes that is missed cause we threw kids to the wolves and expected them to play like seasoned Vets and blamed them and the Coaches when they did.
    Yeah, maybe I need to be a little more patient and hopefully some of our younger players will breakout. I feel that even when rookies first enter the league (assuming they get significant playing time off course) you can usually, (not always) tell if they're extremely talented from the start. (Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, etc)

The main thing I was trying to get at is that I don't feel our talent level is as good as other NFL teams. Not trying to get off the topic here, but I just want to use this an example. To me, the Baltimore Ravens are a VERY talented football team. And not just on defense, but they've got some playmakers on offense too. Yet, they finished with a 5-11 record this year and we won 3 more games than they did. Now if I were a Ravens fan, I would be VERY dissapointed right now because a team with their talent level should not finish the season with only 5 wins, which is probably why Billick got fired.

But, being that I'm a Vikings fan and I feel our team isn't THAT talented, it's not as dissapointing as it would be if I felt our team was loaded with talent.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"TimmyT" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
    Really, Marrdro?

Yeah, maybe I need to be a little more patient and hopefully some of our younger players will breakout. I feel that even when rookies first enter the league (assuming they get significant playing time off course) you can usually, (not always) tell if they're extremely talented from the start. (Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, etc)

The main thing I was trying to get at is that I don't feel our talent level is as good as other NFL teams. Not trying to get off the topic here, but I just want to use this an example. To me, the Baltimore Ravens are a VERY talented football team. And not just on defense, but they've got some playmakers on offense too. Yet, they finished with a 5-11 record this year and we won 3 more games than they did. Now if I were a Ravens fan, I would be VERY dissapointed right now because a team with their talent level should not finish the season with only 5 wins, which is probably why Billick got fired.

But, being that I'm a Vikings fan and I feel our team isn't THAT talented, it's not as dissapointing as it would be if I felt our team was loaded with talent.
    This is an extremely talented team with 7 Pro-Bowlers...6 of whom are starting.
    I simply could not disagree with your point any more; in fact fans, players, coaches and media don't see it your way either.
    10 wins minimum next year...mark it down.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Right: I think that we had a very good draft this year, considering the players that earned a spot on our roster and other teams rosters and our UDFA pick ups.

Wrong: Passing offense and passing defense. It like the ying and yang
    Great Running game and Run Defense poor Passing offense and Passing defense.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Here's another "What's Right:"
    Rookie Aundrae Allison finished the season as the NFC's top kick returner and third overall in the NFL with an average of 28.7 yards per kickoff.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

What went right

The team didn't implode after getting shut out by the packers.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Rookie Aundrae Allison finished the season as the NFC's top kick returner and third overall in the NFL with an average of 28.7 yards per kickoff.
    Is that why Peterson was taking kicks against Denver
    ;D

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Schutz" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Is that why Peterson was taking kicks against Denver
    ;D
    Childress is a moron (yes... it's starting again).

Peterson single-handedly saved Chilly's job... at least for now. BC knows this so he's gonna work this horse till it's dead.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast