Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings: What Went Right and Wrong

In a quick look back at the season that just completed, we examined what went right for the Vikings and what went wrong.

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=715662
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: What Went Right and Wrong

I could have told you what went wrong before I read that article...
    Two things:
    1. The Vikings receiving corps didn’t scare anyone and Jackson wasn't consistant
    2. Poor offensive blocking early in the season killed us
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Thanks Marrdro, I think the one thing they didn't talk about was the young guys on this team got some valuable playing time, and that we have had two strong drafts. Young guys contributing like McCauley, and Rice, Greenway, and Jackson. We have a talented bunch and are only a couple players away from really having more "rights" then "wrongs".

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Thanks Marrdro, I think the one thing they didn't talk about was the young guys on this team got some valuable playing time, and that we have had two strong drafts. Young guys contributing like McCauley, and Rice, Greenway, and Jackson. We have a talented bunch and are only a couple players away from really having more "rights" then "wrongs".
    Couldn't agree more.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

I feel somewhat vindicated in that someone else made my point about the Detroit and Kansas City games.
    It's like I said in a couple of posts, this team has got to be kicking themselves.

That said, I give Sharper credit for looking forward...as a leader should do.
    This is a Team with 7 Pro-Bowlers...with another solid draft and a couple of key FA pickups, this will be a playoff team for many years to come IMO.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Here's an interesting question from another article...
    Peterson surpassed the 1,000-yard mark on Nov. 4 but managed only 305 yards over the Vikings' final seven games; he missed two because of right knee injury. The general feeling was that opponents stacked the line with run-oriented defenses, shutting down Peterson's angles. But does that answer tell the whole story? If the box was so stacked, how did Chester Taylor gain 577 yards over the final seven games?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Peterson surpassed the 1,000-yard mark on Nov. 4 but managed only 305 yards over the Vikings' final seven games; he missed two because of right knee injury. The general feeling was that opponents stacked the line with run-oriented defenses, shutting down Peterson's angles. But does that answer tell the whole story? If the box was so stacked, how did Chester Taylor gain 577 yards over the final seven games?
    Two primary factors contributed to that.....

a.
    Of course his leg injury seemed to inhibit his ability to get off Tackle.
    b.
    His poor pass blocking/blitz pickup made the team pretty one dimensional when he was on the field.

I believe both things will not be an issue next year.
    His knee will heal and the blocking issue is usually resolved by thier second year.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    It's a good question, thanks for finding it.

I don't know the statistic, however, the Vikes probably ran the ball in the 90% range when AD was in.
    They were much more diversified when CT was in...which would suggest the defense not having 8 or 9 in the box as often.
    That would be my guess...but, it certainly is a point that deserves mucho analysis in the off-season.
    Hopefully CT, and Eric Bienemy will get AD in to team him pass protection.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think his knee wasn't as healthy as he said it was. That couple with the brace could have slowed him just a touch, but that is about all it took to close some of the gaps he was running through before.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
    Really, Marrdro?

In my opinion, the Vikings are NOT a very talented football team besides the offensive and defensive line. Now don't get me wrong, the 2007 NFL Draft really improved our talent level with players like Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice.

But as a whole, I feel our team lacks talent compared to a lot of the other NFL teams. Look at how average we are at the skill positions on offense, (WR, TE) I can't think of many, if ANY, other NFL team who have worse players at those positions than we do.

Not to mention we only have about 3-4 exceptional players on defense.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast