Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vikings weren't too excited at practice

You all say that in your mind the vikes got all discourged over their loss in washington but since they're playing the pack, in the playoffs they will surely get excited again.. I beg to differ...

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — They’re just one of six teams from the NFC still vying for a spot in the Super Bowl.

But members of the Minnesota Vikings on Wednesday hardly seemed excited or upbeat about preparing for the playoffs.

Only days away from their wild-card playoff game against the Green Bay Packers at 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Lambeau Field, the Vikings began installing the game plan for what they hope leads to an upset victory.

But cornerback Antoine Winfield noticed one small problem as he gazed at the few who chose to hang out near their lockers during a midday breather.

“It’s kind of quiet,” Winfield said. “It really is. We’re going to the playoffs. I’d think we’d be a little more excited about that. But I really don’t know. I can’t put a read on that.”

After losing seven of their final 10 games for the second year in a row, the Vikings’ subdued demeanor seems to suggest a team lacking in confidence.

An embarrassing 21-18 loss to Washington on Sunday, coupled with a 34-31 setback to the Packers at the Metrodome on Christmas Eve with a division title at stake, still had players looking a bit shell-shocked and feeling glum despite their gift-wrapped opportunity.

“I think Monday, we were the only team in the playoffs that wasn’t happy,” Vikings coach Mike Tice said. “I think I was the only head coach out of 12. Why? Because you want to win that last game and have a better taste in your mouth. We didn’t have that good taste in our mouth.”

Even with the loss at Washington, Minnesota was able to back into the playoffs after New Orleans beat Carolina 21-18 on Sunday.

And Winfield said it’s time to shake the doldrums.

“This is big,” Winfield said. “I’m excited. This is my second time going to the playoffs. I’m excited about going back to Green Bay and trying to avenge some of those losses.”

Deep freeze: In an effort to prepare for the cold temperatures Sunday’s game could present, the Vikings were scheduled to hold a brief team walk-through on the practice field outside of their training facility.

However, the session was canceled and moved indoors since Wednesday’s weather in the Twin Cities brought sub-zero wind chills.

The Vikings will look to try the outside walk-through again today or Friday, but temperatures will dictate whether or not those sessions will be canceled, as well.

“If Coach Tice wants to do a walk-through (outside) and if we do one, it’s fine with me,” Culpepper said. “I know it’s going to be slick a little. But it’s going to be slick for them, too.”

Injury report: Safety Corey Chavous, wide receiver Kelly Campbell, running back Moe Williams and cornerback Brian Williams missed at least a portion of practice Wednesday.

Chavous fractured his left elbow in the fourth quarter of the Vikings’ 21-18 loss at Washington on Sunday and is the only player listed as out on the team’s injury report.

Third-year player Willie Offord replaced Chavous and is expected to start against the Packers.

“I don’t know if I’ve been begging, but playing time has definitely been on my mind,” Offord said. “I got the opportunity, and now I’m going to make the best of it.”

Chavous, a Pro Bowler last year, finished the season second on the team in tackles with 112.

Campbell (shoulder) is listed as questionable, while Moe Williams (ankle) and Brian Williams (illness) are listed as probable.

Also listed as probable on the injury report was cornerback Terrance Shaw (ribs).
    GO PACKERS!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Seems i covered that in another thread, see thread I dont like this.....

We are all aware of whats going on, but keep reading as i can see its helping your confidence.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Just because 1 guy notices the excitement or energy level is down does not mean they are going to be pumped for this one.
    Also, why in the heck would they cancel practice outdoors in sub-zero temperatures. If the game is sub-zero are the Viks going to forefeit?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think its a good thing that things are quiet...maybe they will actually come out with some attitude this week. If they have that grim we're pissed off and not having any fun because we're losing attitude, maybe they'll come out against the Pack with some determination and some revenge in their hearts.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

I was'nt too excited about going outside myself,and it was'nt as cold here.The Vikes will be pumped up by game time,no doubt about it! I sure as heck will be! I was able to trade a day with a coworker so I could have Sunday off to watch the game.Man,I hope they kick packer butt this time around.
    GO VIKINGS!!! :cheers:

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i cant wiat. in houston it was COLD. an icy 42 degrees. and i had fb practice in it. it was fun because the ground was sachturated and it was funner to tackle people. the water would spray up and it looked like you leveled the guy. good times.

"vikingstw" wrote:
    Seems i covered that in another thread, see thread I dont like this.....

We are all aware of whats going on, but keep reading as i can see its helping your confidence.
    Helping MY confidence. I've been confident. You guys are the ones that need help with your confidence. I'm just here to bring you some discouragement.
    GO PACKERS!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I'm already discouraged, i dont even expect to win this game. But nice try, maybe you affected somebody else.

That excerpt came from Tice's PC that was like 30 minutes long and he said that the players are quiet, but are working very hard and diligently. Maybe they are all sick of the joking around and want to be serious and take the game that way. Yes, you have to have fun while youre on the field, but I think being pissed off is even better. I guess well see how they look on Sunday - until then, its all speculation.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

This is another thing that good head coaches do, they fire up their team and get them to believe that when the playoffs start, it is a new season. Tice gives this team no confidence and I don't even think they expect to win. That should never be the case. One of many faults of our head coach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast