Vikings want Chester Taylor to emulate Priest Holmes

Posted on Tue, Aug. 08, 2006

[size=18px]From backup to superstar?[/size]
    Vikings want Taylor to emulate Holmes

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. -

What's in a name?

Quite a bit, the Vikings hope. Say, 1,400-1,500 yards a year?

Those are the kind of rushing numbers another Jamal Lewis backup put up in his first three seasons after leaving Baltimore. The Vikings think running back Chester Taylor can do the same for them.

Fullback Tony Richardson, who played with Priest Holmes for five seasons in Kansas City, said he sees a lot of Holmes in Taylor.

So does wide receiver Travis Taylor, Chester's teammate with the Ravens from 2002-04.

"There's definitely a lot of Priest Holmes in Chester," he said. "He's a guy who can catch balls out of the backfield, make guys miss, run guys over, make big plays. When we were in Baltimore, he always converted a lot of third downs for us out of the backfield. It could be third and 15 and he'd get 17 yards. That's what kind of a back he is."

Chester Taylor, limited in recent practices by a mild groin strain, accepts the compliments with a knowing grin. For him, the Holmes comparisons are old news.

"They were saying that all through my time in Baltimore," he said. "Priest was at Baltimore his first four years, and that's all they were calling me, Little Priest."

At 5 feet 11 and 213 pounds, Taylor is the same weight and two inches taller than the 32-year-old Holmes, not to mention six years younger.

Holmes is a tough act to follow, especially for a back who never had more than 160 carries or 714 rushing yards in four seasons primarily as Lewis' backup.

If Taylor gets the opportunity, Richardson said he's confident Taylor can put up Holmes-like numbers, though some of those yards figure to come on receptions in coach Brad Childress' version of the West Coast offense.

"This is definitely a different style of offense," Richardson said. "The offense in Kansas City was really built around the tailback, and he'd get a chance to carry the ball a lot. Here, he has to be able to do both: catch the football as well as run it. The guy who's really done it well at a high level in the West Coast offense is Brian Westbrook (in Philadelphia), where coach Childress came from. That's the kind of year, hopefully, we can get from Chester, where he can catch the ball well and put some yards up on the ground as well."

Taylor, who signed a four-year, $14.1 million contract with the Vikings, is eager to start earning his paycheck.

He won't put a number on his personal expectations for the season, but he's clearly excited about the prospect of running behind left guard Steve Hutchinson and the rest of the Vikings' improved offensive line, not to mention a Pro Bowl fullback in Richardson.

"Just watching Priest Holmes play and get all those yards, Tony Richardson led the way for him, basically," Taylor said. "I'm glad to have a guy like that on my side."

There were whispers that the Vikings weren't entirely happy with Taylor's work during the offseason program, and Childress indicated he was one of the players who needed to improve their conditioning after the first minicamp.

Taylor said that never was expressed to him.

"I'm a grown man," he said. "This is my job. I know what I have to do. I'm not going to let my team down. I'm going to come out here and work hard and do whatever I can to help my team win."

Whatever the coaches might have thought in April and May, they've had nothing but good things to say about Taylor during training camp.

This team hasn't had a 1,000-yard rusher since Michael Bennett put up 1,296 in 2002, but Taylor already has demonstrated to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell that he has the skill to be a featured back.

"He's run the ball physically, which is an important part of that," Bevell said. "He does a nice job of protection and getting out in the routes."

Asked what a typical game-day's work for Taylor might be, Bevell said: "You'd like to get him over 20 carries, and then have four or five balls through the air. Something like that. If we're getting him 20 carries, that means we're doing a great job in the run game."

That has to be music to the ears of Richardson, who said Chiefs running back Larry Johnson presented him, the team's offensive linemen and tight ends with platinum watches in appreciation of his 1,750 rushing yards last season.

Richardson plans to wait a while, though, before discussing any such arrangement with Taylor.

"We've got to get him over 1,500 yards first," Richardson said, "and then we'll see what happens."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

From backup to superstar?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings want Chester Taylor to emulate Priest Holmes

Posted on Tue, Aug. 08, 2006

[size=18px]Can Chester Taylor be another Priest Holmes? Three reasons why he can...[/size]

Can Chester Taylor be another Priest Holmes?

Three reasons why he can:

1. One of the NFL's top offensive lines, led by all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson.

2. Coach Brad Childress wants to feature the run.

3. He has made the most of his limited opportunities so far.

Three reasons why he can't:

1. He has never carried more than 160 times in any season.

2. Less than two weeks into camp, he already has a minor groin injury.

3. If he is so good, why didn't the Ravens keep him over Jamal Lewis?

Can Chester Taylor be another Priest Holmes? Three reasons why he can...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I can't put him in the same class as Priest Holmes just yet, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Prophet Guest

I prefer that he makes his own category.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Three reasons why he can't:

1. He has never carried more than 160 times in any season.

2. Less than two weeks into camp, he already has a minor groin injury.

3. If he is so good, why didn't the Ravens keep him over Jamal Lewis?

Can Chester Taylor be another Priest Holmes? Three reasons why he can...
    Priest Holmes

Baltimore
    1997 0 rushing attempts (active 7 games)
    1998 233 attempts 1008 rushing yards
    1999 89 attempts 506 yards
    2000 137 attempts 588 yards

Kansas City
    2001 327 attempts 1555 rushing yards
    2002 313 attempts 1615 yards
    2003 320 attempts 1420 yards

Chester Taylor

Baltimore
    2002 33 attempts 122 yards
    2003 63 attempts 276 yards
    2004 160 attempts 714 yards
    2005 117 attempts 487 yards

Vikings are saying they want him to have 20 attempts per game and about 5 receptions:

Lets say he averages 20 attempts per game rushing

20 x 16 = 320 rushing attempts for the season.

His average over the 4 years in Baltimore was 4.3 but I think our line is better and he should be able to get that to 4.5 yards a carry.

320 x 4.5 = 1,440 yards

The Vikes want to get him 5 receptions a game and he has averaged 7 yards a reception through 4 years in Baltimore.

5 x 16 = 80 x 7 = 560

1,440 + 560 = 2,000 yards for Chester this season.

NOT SAYING IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Baltimore wanted to sign Chester but they wouldn't pay him as much as the Vikes did. And they waited to sign Jamal Lewis until after the Vikings signed Chester so they may have been planning to make him their #1 back but were trying to be cheap about it and he ended up here.

I am not to worried about a pulled groin before the 1st preseason game he should be fine by the start of the regular season.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

I'm sure Priest Holmes has had many a groin injury. I wouldn't judge Chester too much on it until the season starts. It may be an injury that if there was a game to play he could play right through it.

I have a feeling Priest Holmes plays hurt every game.

I would be surprised if he breaks 1,000 yards rushing. He came into camp and the coaches were dissapointed with his weight and his work ethic. Childress has to decide if he is running a WCO or not. You don't run 300 times and call it a WCO.

Time will tell. Anything is better then RB by commitee.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

i think he will get about 14 carries and Memo will get the other 6.

i think he will do very well for us and should break the 1100 yards mark with about 5 rushing TD's and 4 Recieving TD's. i think that is what you can expect and could be what to expect as his best season as i don't think he will be able to do much better than that even with hutch and crew.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I don't want Chester Taylor be another Priest Holmes. Too many groin pulls and right now a bad neck.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Even if Chester is "injury prone" as they're suggesting, our depth will help with that. I think Fason would be good to put in there for some carries and MeMo will be great as a backup/spell, IMO. I think Taylor is going to stay out of harms way for the most part. No one goes through a season injury free.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

If not we still got my main man Mewlede Moore for insurance.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast